Introducing Amiko A3

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't believe it adds HDCP to recordings. I also do not think it removes HDCP from satellite signals that might use it, however I don't know of any FTA broadcaster using HDCP at this time.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Will it work with a IR remote too? I know it has a special remote. But, I have a universal remote that i can program and control everything in my entertainment system. Having to lug a second remote would be a deal breaker for me.

Deal broken...

RF remote, not IR. You would need a mouse or pad to navigate the menus, so not practical to use a programmable remote on Android devices. I really liked the voice navigation and headphone jack, so a programmable remote would be like stepping back into the ice age. :D

Reactions: KE4EST
I can say this about RF remotes. I have a Roku 3 with one and it's great!
I can go anywhere in the house with it and watch it in any room.

I added some little transmitters to my Dish remotes and they work anywhere in the house too.

RF remotes are awesome!

Also there are a lot of apps to turn old iPhones into smart wifi remotes. I'm sure you can do the same with other old smart phones and tablets.

I try hard to avoid buying anything with an IR remote anymore.

Sent from my ancient Jurasic iPad using Jurasic Tapatalk 2.5.2

BTW, any word on delivery dates?
Also, are the reds still a dead deal?
Really wanted a red one but now I'll take whatever I can get. I don't want to wait two more months for a red one. Black, green, purple.. I don't care now.

Thanks.

Sent from my ancient Jurasic iPad using Jurasic Tapatalk 2.5.2

Reactions: dougruss
What's the specs on what internal drive this can handle, I don't see that listed anywhere? I see Sata and 2.5 inch, so a laptop drive. But, will it only handle 1TB max, or is there any other conditions? Sata II, Sata III, there's plenty to pick from. If I buy a drive, I don't want to get one that won't work.

Thanks!

What's the specs on what internal drive this can handle, I don't see that listed anywhere? I see Sata and 2.5 inch, so a laptop drive. But, will it only handle 1TB max, or is there any other conditions? Sata II, Sata III, there's plenty to pick from. If I buy a drive, I don't want to get one that won't work.

Thanks!

I talk with one of Spark's beta testers over in Germany and he runs it with 1TB Toshiba. I only have little old SATA's floating around here so haven't tested anything big. Both EXT3 and NTFS work here. I'd assume the size limit is based on the limit of the formatting type for partition size. Should also work with any of the SATA speeds. Since I don't have anything gigantic to test with yet I'll try and reach one of our engineers tonight and see what they have to say about limitations.

Reactions: Titanium
This box sounds like it will do everything and then some. My piggy bank was empty (still is actually:rolleyes:) so I wasn't able to participate in the early discount ordering. Any idea what date these will be available for regular purchase? Thanks!:)

I talk with one of Spark's beta testers over in Germany and he runs it with 1TB Toshiba. I only have little old SATA's floating around here so haven't tested anything big. Both EXT3 and NTFS work here. I'd assume the size limit is based on the limit of the formatting type for partition size. Should also work with any of the SATA speeds. Since I don't have anything gigantic to test with yet I'll try and reach one of our engineers tonight and see what they have to say about limitations.

Great, thanks! There's so many drives to choose from anymore, it's not that easy to pick one.

This box sounds like it will do everything and then some. My piggy bank was empty (still is actually:rolleyes:) so I wasn't able to participate in the early discount ordering. Any idea what date these will be available for regular purchase? Thanks!:)

Check with the dealers on www.amiko-a3.us for availability. Some might have extras from the air shipment but I'm sure they will be going at a premium. Last I checked general widespread availability won't be until October.

Check with the dealers on www.amiko-a3.us for availability. Some might have extras from the air shipment but I'm sure they will be going at a premium. Last I checked general widespread availability won't be until October.
Thanks T134! October sounds good as we're still tight on funds right now.:( Maybe my wife will get me one for my birthday in November or for a Christmas present! Would definitely make a nice gift!:rolleyes::)

Reactions: T134

I'll have a few and I believe Brian as well :)
"Not sure about Michael he did not PM back he must be hanging out with his new buddy Lincoln"

Can't wait love new satellite toys.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Glad to hear that things are moving along! I’m really looking forward to this! :D

BTW, I caught one of these on sale and got it for $43 and change including shipping.
I intend to keep it empty by setting an automated task on my Mac to download recordings from it every morning while I sleep then convert them to h.265 mkv files.

Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 9.37.32 PM.png

I can’t believe how tiny this thing is, it’s like a package of crackers. You would have to stack about 5 of them to equal the size of a package of cigarettes (yuck!)

I also ordered a “phablet” to control the A3 with. Two new words for me. Phablet and OTG.
My poor old iPad 1.0 just won’t do much of anything anymore except crash frequently. Apple sabotages all old devices so you’re forced to replace them.
Well done Apple. I’ve found something much faster and flexible. For EIGHTY SEVEN DOLLARS.

650x658x2014-05-06_11_02_32talk,P207x,P203g.jpg.,X69-,W_6Z1uXjhL1lMW047hT.jpg

I can pop a T-Mobile SIM in it if I need to have wireless data ability.

And as a massive bonus for me, it has some new thing called OTG USB. What this means for me is that I can plug it directly into my camera (Canon EOS 5D Mark II) and use the phablet to control the camera, as a live view screen when shooting video, review photos in near real time and immediately post photos online within seconds of taking them. The price was crazy cheap and since it’s an Android it should working brilliantly with the A3.

While I will be using wired ethernet for my A3, the remote being wireless and the phablet being WIFI, I’ll have pretty much everything I’ve ever wanted in a set top box.
The only way the A3 could be better is if I could watch my Dish subscription on it too. But Dish ain’t ever gonna let that happen. :(

Now I need to get off my chair and go fix my BUDs.

Sooooooooooo ready for my A3 ~!!!
:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

Reactions: Titanium

I talked to one of the engineers at the factory about 15 minutes ago. They tested up to 1Tb there. I just went to Microcenter's website and was gonna order a 2Tb to test but strangely enough they don't list anything above 1Tb in 2.5" size. Hmmm.

SATA III is backward compatible with II & I standards. SATA II is backward compatible with I. Any of the 3 speed standards should work. I don't know which the drives I've tested are but I'd guess SATA II.

If you want to be safe, get 1Tb or less for now. Someone will eventually try a bigger drive and report back, probably me eventually.

My test drives for A3 are both WD, that should work great. Might want to check for it at www.microcenter.com if you have a physical store near you. I think it is cheaper if you can pick it up. I am fortunate to have a microcenter less than 30km from here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)