Invacom QPH-031 and Motorized Setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

danleeper80

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 7, 2013
Northeast PA
Hi All,

Second post, so I got the Manhattan RS-1933 and a S6000 Motor on a WSI 7630, I recently decided I wanted the little bit that's up there on circular so I picked up the QPH-031, I'm impressed that it's a little better in reception/quality for any sat I throw it at however it seems to come at a cost. My motor has become finicky with moving either extremely slow or not at all (especially going West). I take the Invacom off and put on my DMS Avenger back and the issue goes away so the LNB is definitely consuming more current than what my receiver can put out. I've already tried putting an extra power supply on one of the circular outputs (an old deactivated Hughes D*TV receiver) however that doesn't help either so I'm at a bit of a loss with figuring out a solution to keep the motor, Invacom and DiSEqC switch to handle changing from linear/circular with a future plan to add a fixed dish for 103w all in the same package. Any ideas/suggestions?

Do you have the Switch between the Motor and LNB, as shown ?

Attachments

• LNB to motor.JPG
    LNB to motor.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 525
Leave the QPH on the dish, but disconnect it, and see how the motor works.
That LNBF is pretty heavy, and could be the problem, not current consumption.
It's worth testing. :)

dougruss: I have it connected exactly in your diagram, my switch handles up to 500mA I'm not sure what the motor is rated at but I'm sure it's higher than half an amp. I've also swapped the DiSEqC switch for a 22Khz switch with the same results so I'll try moving it with the LNB disconnected but still on the mast as Anole suggested I might be at motor's limits for weight (the sg6000 is rated up to 1.2m dish) It didn't cross my mind when I was setting this all up.

updatelee: any idea how to force the motor to move only on 18V? Thanks!!

I ssume your using a set top box? try trying to tune a transponder you know is on 18v. There are alternating theories on whats best. With my software I always move the motor on 18v then wait a calculated time based on how far the motor is moving. Others like to move the motor on whatever tp is being tuned then wait until lock then assume the motor is done moving. I dont like that method because you can get false locks on the wrong satellite.

UDL

To get the motor to move with 18v you must select a channel on a Horizontal transponder for the receiver to send 18v to the motor and LNB. If the channel is on a vertical TP the receiver sends 13v to the motor and the LNB.

I don't know if this will solve your issue, howver the motor will move faster with 18v.

Check list

- in testing, change only one thing at a time, keeping all other variables static.
- always run the movement test by seeking to a Horizontal transponder, assuring 18v
- what kind of coax, length, connectors?
- do you have an old DVB-s receiver to try?
- put your Manhattan out by the dish on new, short coax
- review motor backlash adjustment - could it be binding in the gear train?
- Above, Doug was suggesting you not put any switch between receiver & motor, regardless of claimed ratings (and you apparently aren't)
- show us some pictures of the dish on the motor

I have run a 33" dish with the qph-031 and Stab 90 motor for over a year with any problems.
I think the 031 is highly over rated in terms of performance. I replaced it with a regular linear lnb without any noticable loss of performance. I just didn't like all the extra weight on the end of the lnb arm also did not need the circular option.

Perhaps during the install of the 031 something was disturbed. I would closely inspect all the cable connectors.

I think the 031 is highly over rated in terms of performance.
not over rated but over weight :D
imo
still the best i've seen. newer one's have caught up a lot. but on a weaker feed it still shows it's colors. when it first came out was miles ahead. and long service most of mine are 5+ years old.
have had them on 36 in dishes w/Stab 100 motors for 5+ years.

I have one that I got from Craigslist last year for $10 and havent even used it much as it adds weight to my 1.2m arms and personally makes my dish look UGLY :eek:

Sent from my X2 Premium HD with Tapatalk 2

My only problem with the QPH-031 has been that the feedhorn cover deteriorates easily due to UV.

As for weight, a dish with side mounted struts is necessary.

been working great all these years without them.the arm pretty ridged being one piece from back to front unlike most others that are placed on the bottom with one screw.imo
falling under ...if it ain't broken rule here

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)