Invacom QPH-031 vs. GeosatPro SL1PLL vs. Avenger PLL321S-2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ Rob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I've used an Invacom LNB for many years on my motorized GeosatPro 90cm dish. But I wanted to see what all of the hype surrounding these new Ku PLL Lnbs and if I could get a better signal with them. So I purchased the PLL321S and the SL1PLL last week. They arrived this week and I was ready to test them.

I started with the PLL321S.

The first thing I noticed, was that the Avenger PLL321S-2 seemed cheaply made. The inside metal lnb part was loose inside the plastic part which allowed about 5 degrees each way in skew play. I ended up having to superglue the plastic part on, so that there was no play in it and my skew was correct.

I seemed to get a tad better quality signals with the Avenger PLL321S-2 vs. my old Invacom QPH-031. It was maybe only a point or two in better quality signals using my GeosatPro MicroHD receiver.

I moved on to the GeosatPro SL1PLL Lnb. The first thing I noticed was how much better the lnb was built. It was a lot more solid and had better labeling of the skew markings. Since it is longer, it has a lot more play in sliding in and out of the holder so you can better tweak your signals. It seemed to get about the same quality readings as the Avenger PLL321S-2. But, after scanning a few sats with it, I noticed a channel I couldn't get in with both the Invacom or the Avenger came in with no breakups - the Florida Channel on 87w.

I switched back to the Avenger and tweaked the dish just to see if I could get that channel. Nothing I did worked. I threw the Invacom back on and did the same thing. No signal on that transponder. I put the GeosatPro SL1PLL Lnb back on and it came right in.

So I think without a doubt, the GeosatPro SL1PLL Lnb is the best in this shootout for FTA signals.

I'm thinking a buying either the Avenger or the GeoSat PLL LNB - - - has anyone else done additional testing.

Or could others weigh in?

TIA

Not a comparison by any means, but the SNH-031 that I have picks up the Florida Channel at about 60%Q (same 90cm GeosatPro dish). I also have a QPH-031 I have taken out of service, it still works but isn't nearly as sharp as it used to be. I find the SNH-031, PLL321S-2, and SL1PLL extremely close in performance. The 321S does have the disadvantage that it is very short but the two I have were not loose in their plastic enclosure and seemed to be solid little units.

I have a SL1PLL on a 33" dish right now (9120 motor) and can not pick up the Florida channel with that setup. Another 4-5 db would likely make a big difference!
-C.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)