iOS 11

Of course you have to put the widget into the control center from 'settings' first.

Thanks! You answered a question before I even knew I had a question. :)

I only heard that screen capture is disabled for Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon movies.

I usually only use screen capture for stills of maps to document where I am at a particular time. I used to use the home button while holding down the power off button. It would flash and then safe the screen image in cameras roll.

Damn! Still can’t record a call as screen recording stops when the call starts.

Are you just trying to record audio or facetime? I never tried either so I can't be of any help. I have one of the 3rd party phone conversation recorders installed but to be honest, I never thought to use it.

Are you just trying to record audio or facetime? I never tried either so I can't be of any help. I have one of the 3rd party phone conversation recorders installed but to be honest, I never thought to use it.
I was only hoping for it to record a FaceTime call but didn't care about the video as much as the audio. But I did some research and the screen recording is suspended for all calls according to a few websites, and is what I saw also.

Now here's my review:
I have always liked the idea of the Apple Watch, but didn't care for the previous implementations. I thought this newest version would be the cat's meow with the LTE calling and so forth. Which leads me to my first screwup! I ordered the wrong damned watch! Got the GPS version and everything Watch at Apple has a 3-4 week+ shipping time! :(

After installing a few apps and playing around a bit, I still love the ideas presented. But my poor old eyes don't like the small screen much at all. I can read the bigger stuff without my reading specs, but the smaller stuff just is fuzzy and not useful. Not the fault of the watch, just a fact of my aging process.

I got the watch to use on the golf course as primary usage. Loaded two of the golf GPS apps on and while they work, they both offer very simplistic layouts due to the real estate restrictions of the screen. One of them wouldn't even work unless you upgrade ($) to one of the non-free versions. Both do what they do quite well, but are very limited in scope. One biggie is no presentation of the hole layout, neither as a made up picture nor as a satellite image. That is important. And what it means, is that even though the apps work and provide some info about the hole that is useful, you still need the phone using the same app being in range of the watch. Pretty much precludes the idea of only taking the watch on the course.

Because of that the most likely scenario is that I will send the watch back to Apple. Or less likely just keep the GPS version because the LTE version brings nothing to the table that I would need. I'm disappointed to say the least.

edit: put this in the wrong thread!

Glad to see that Dropbox has updated its app to fully work with files. Once installed, there is really no longer any reason to use the dropbox app. Well implemented. And seeing many more apps announcing support of drag and drop for the iPad.

Reactions: Foxbat
Has anyone with Dish tried setting a DVR timer with the Dish app on iOS 11? I’ve set many timers in the past with my phone with no problems. But yesterday I tried setting timers for 2 different football games. It appeared to work fine from my phone. But when I came home last night nothing recorded.

Until my Q-See app get's updated to iOS11 I will keep the ipad air2 on iOS10. It's now my only link to my security cameras. Oh wait, I should see if the Android has an app that works. :) Nice to have both for these things.

Works but can't figure out how to get the Android version to see more than 4 cameras. Should see all 16, like the iphone iOS10 does.

Last edited:
Do your cameras not geotag pictures and videos?

Yes, but I'm not using it for that. I'm capturing a map from an app (like maritime locator) that shows the position of my ship in the ocean. So screen capture of the map shows where I was at a point in time vs taking a photo of the water. :)

From that record, I can match the time and date to my cameras meta date and know where the video was shot with a picture in picture of the map and ship location for my video production.

While all my cameras are digital and have metadata for date and time, none of them have GPS tagging. Even if they did, it doesn't capture a map image. Anyway, I am doing more now with a new animation program that creates a good map with an accurate path of travel. This doesn't really need the location, the way I am using it.

While all my cameras are digital and have metadata for date and time, none of them have GPS tagging.
Many modern still and video cameras have geotagging. Obtaining a pinpoint on a map isn't all that difficult to simulate given coordinates. My mid-level video camera has geotagging but my still camera doesn't. Of course GPS may not work all that well below the top deck on a cruise ship while I assume that phone service onboard is provided with GPS data from the ship itself. Then again, there's probably an interest in not providing particularly accurate GPS information...

I'm also lead to believe that you can run an app on a GPS-equipped device that will map your location at an instant in time (the time the picture was taken) so you can fake geotagging after the fact with some extra effort (but not much over and above having to do it on the device at the time of the shot).

Actually, I lied. My Vuze 360VR camera has a GPS according to the specs, but I haven't looked into how to access that data.

As I said, when traveling, it is just as easy to open the Marine traffic app and type in my ship name and then do a screen capture. It also shows the path for the last 24 hours. That sure beats buying all new cameras everytime something new is out. Most of my high end cameras are 4-5 years old.

If I have the time I should look into my 4K camera as it is only a year old and may have GPS.

I'll stay on 10, thank you. I really like UConvertPro.

I'm keeping my ipad on 10 since I can't run an important app on 11 yet. Have to be on 11 for the iphone as it is needed for my watch.

Interesting about some not sending email on exchange server. I didn't have a problem with it. I have Gmail account working and my scubatech.com on Outlook exchange sever. Probably something I don't understand about the bug.

Interesting about some not sending email on exchange server. I didn't have a problem with it. I have Gmail account working and my scubatech.com on Outlook exchange sever. Probably something I don't understand about the bug.
I remember from many years ago that there are a myriad of Exchange server configurations possible. I suspect a 'default' or relatively standard setup - which would be used by the vast majority of companies/users - worked just fine. If a company with a bastard configuration didn't beta test, Apple couldn't know something was amiss.

When I connected my phone to the computer, it told me there's an update but when I check from the phone, it says 11.0 is up-to-date.

I just finished installing iOS 11.0.1 on my iPhone. I don’t use Mail with Exchange, so I hope the issue I’ve been seeing with the iMessage app is fixed. Nope, my iPhone still skips a few beats when I press into the field to enter text.