iOS 11

If only Apple could see their way clear to use the same thing everyone else does. The move towards Qi charging is an important one but it doesn't answer the pain and suffering of getting iDevice data onto computers without special effort.

If only Apple could see their way clear to use the same thing everyone else does. The move towards Qi charging is an important one but it doesn't answer the pain and suffering of getting iDevice data onto computers without special effort.
What pain and suffering? Up to the cloud down to wherever. Piece of cake!

What pain and suffering? Up to the cloud down to wherever.
Tell me what's easier than connecting two devices by something like a $1 USB cable and doesn't involve having to hunt down wireless or Wi-fi service.

I have family that shares photo albums but I have to create and account and log into iTunes to see them. I can see using a link and a password with a picture service but I can't see having to be tracked by iTunes.

Options are good and options that don't involve someone monitoring your every move are even better.

Never have had a problem with finding either WiFi or using cell data, so I can’t relate to that.

As to how your family chooses to share photo albums, well they made that choice. They could have chosen some other method that doesn’t require iTunes or an Apple ID.

Edit: or they could do this:
iCloud: Create a shared album

Never have had a problem with finding either WiFi or using cell data, so I can’t relate to that.
My home is a place where iPhone users that subscribe to any carrier but Verizon have to step outside to get a signal. I live four airline miles from the state capitol building and 25,000 wire feet from the CenturyLink central office.

Hiking or driving around a good chunk of the state of Oregon you'll find signal spotty. Montana and Wyoming are much worse and they're both popular places to travel in or through.
Edit: or they could do this:
iCloud: Create a shared album
I see that article was posted just three weeks ago. I have to ask my family about using that feature. I guess Apple eventually caves in to the user's desires when it is obvious that they are standing directly in the way.

My sister hasn't figured out how to turn off HEIC so she can't send me fishing pictures from Lake Shasta. She's busy driving the boat so she hasn't taken time out to drive to the spot on the lake where she gets LTE and do the research.

Here’s an article from August about the same thing the apple link provided: How to interact with shared Photo Streams on iPhone and iPad

I suspect that doing it has been there for quite some time and the Apple article probably was updated 3 weeks ago. Since it wasn’t anything I do, I can’t be sure if I’m correct or not.

For your iphone loving friends around there it seems the solution to their problem is to sign up with Verizon or a Verizon powered MVNO.

HEIC?? Is that the new photo file format? I thought there was an auto convert when the file was shared.

HEIC?? Is that the new photo file format?
Yes. It uses technologies licensed from the MPEG group so any tools that work with it would theoretically be required to obtain a license (versus something like GPL).
I thought there was an auto convert when the file was shared.
I dunno. It all seems more than a little confusing versus a simple mass storage file transfer over a cheap cable.

The purists aren't going to like the idea that their images have been twice compressed with different lossy schemes. In compression, lossy done twice results in an image that is "damaged" by loss^2.

Very annoying change to the way that podcasts work in iOS 11. In the past if you had several episodes of the same podcast downloaded you just hit play and once the current one ended it went to the next one and played that. Now it just stops and you have to manually select the next one to play. Alternatively, you can add to a playlist, but that is a stupid extra step. Not sure why this change was thought to be an improvement, but I hate it.

Sort of iOSish, but I picked up the Apple TV 4K today, for my new 4k set. (A inexpensive Sharp Roku TV 43"). My other set has the Apple TV 4. the new one is quite nice, setup takes advantage go the iOS connection to the iPhone. The picture quality is literally like the Mac Retina display for the UI. It does a great job up converting 1080 content to 4k. And I noticed that the tv's picture settings actually identify it as HDR when the input is set to Apple TV.

I don't use it for games, but have a LOT of iTunes content, so it was worth getting, even for the smaller set.

Saw a thread at Macrumours about it as well. At least I'm not the only person ! They mention one possible fix of signing out of iMessage on the Mac and signing back in but it's clearly a (very) short-term fix so I won't bother.

Personally, this is a perfect example of how sloppy Apple has gotten over the years....

HEIC?? Is that the new photo file format?

Lloyd- HEIC or High efficiency Image codec is a more efficient file format that produces equal quality image that is 1/4 the file size as a jpeg file. So it greatly improves storage capacity on your iphone as well as take 1/4 the time to upload to icloud storage.

If you remain in the Apple environment and stay updated you should only realize the benefits of HEIC. However if you need to export your images to legacy editing software then you can easily switch back to jpg storage. In the Camera settings, you select "Most Compatible." as opposed to "High Efficiency" The most recent update has added a converter now for transferring photos. In Photos settings, select "Automatic" under the section "When transferring to Mac or PC" This will export jpegs as well. Applies to videos also. iOS11 now stores videos in h265 but Automatic will transfer in a compatible MP4 (MOV) format or h264. The Camera file format choice has now been removed with the addition of the automatic converter for transfers.

Saw a thread at Macrumours about it as well. At least I'm not the only person ! They mention one possible fix of signing out of iMessage on the Mac and signing back in but it's clearly a (very) short-term fix so I won't bother.

Personally, this is a perfect example of how sloppy Apple has gotten over the years....

I suspect there is something in iMessage that they have been struggling with, and that is probably why the iMessage in the Cloud feature was pulled from an early iOS 11 beta, and still hasn't made it to the newest iOS 11 beta releases.