iOS 11

How often do you have to change your battery? This is the first time for me. Almost 3 years old iphone. I normally upgrade every 2 years.

I had one of the defective batteries that was replaced on recall. That replacement did not last long. Three days after my AppleCare expired, I was in the Apple Store and they honored it anyway and replaced the battery. Havta look up when that was. At that point, I was recharging three times a day. Not at that point now, but I don’t always make it thru the day.

QUESTION FOR iPHONE USERS:

Do you turn off Bluetooth when not using it? I generally just leave mine on.

Hmmm. Both times mine was replaced, it was in store, about an hour.
I think those days may be gone. Apple's estimates are measured in days now with many being done same day but others requiring up to five days.

Given the cost of upgrading and the incremental functionality of the new phones, I think people are increasingly interested in keeping their old friend around; especially if all it take to speed it back up is to replace the battery.

I was reading the procedure on removing the battery from an iPhone 8 (I wanted to see how bad it would be with the water-resistant seal) and they used a different technique for the adhesive pull-tabs. Forceps were used to wind the adhesive tape around the forceps like a sardine can opener key.

Congratulations on your successful iPhone 6+ battery replacement operation, Don! Like you mention, keeping track of the little screws you remove from the various shields is essential to having a working phone when your done. Good thing that battery fire didn't damage your phone. I'm curious how your new battery performs; will it be like having a "new" iPhone?

I've got the iFixit Pro Tool kit and one thing I like about it is the lid to the drive set is subdivided into little trays so on the smaller projects you can place the various fasteners and shields into consecutive areas. As long as you don't pull a Ralphie (finished our annual watching of "A Christmas Story") this keeps them nicely organized for re-assembly.

Well, one thing I did in the last week has made me enjoy my iPhone experience again. I was getting frustrated unlocking my iPhone via the Home Button/Touch ID because the press to wake up and the press to unlock would either a) wake up Siri (press too long) or b) call up the wallet (double-press). I was reading elsewhere and someone mentioned going to Settings::Accessibility::Rest Finger to Open and turning that On. Problem fixed! I press and release, but leave my finger on the Touch ID sensor and it unlocks my iPhone.

When I upgraded to iOS 11 that was one thing that bugged me. Not enough to dig through the settings to fix it, but I like this behavior much better!

Reactions: littlecloud319
Well, one thing I did in the last week has made me enjoy my iPhone experience again. I was getting frustrated unlocking my iPhone via the Home Button/Touch ID because the press to wake up and the press to unlock would either a) wake up Siri (press too long) or b) call up the wallet (double-press). I was reading elsewhere and someone mentioned going to Settings::Accessibility::Rest Finger to Open and turning that On. Problem fixed! I press and release, but leave my finger on the Touch ID sensor and it unlocks my iPhone.

When I upgraded to iOS 11 that was one thing that bugged me. Not enough to dig through the settings to fix it, but I like this behavior much better!

I don't tend to wake up Siri, but the wake up the wallet has happened too often. Might try that and see how it differs.

iOS 11.2.2 is out to patch for the Spectre exploit vulnerability.

The one thing that I found that now can't live without is the always-on handoff and continuity between all iOS and OSX devices. If I have something up on my Mac and select it and copy, I can go right over to my iPad or iPhone, select a field and Paste appears and what I copied on my MAC get's pasted on the iThingy. The other ways are also valid. Maybe a small thing, but a significant usability improvement!

The one thing that I found that now can't live without is the always-on handoff and continuity between all iOS and OSX devices. If I have something up on my Mac and select it and copy, I can go right over to my iPad or iPhone, select a field and Paste appears and what I copied on my MAC get's pasted on the iThingy. The other ways are also valid. Maybe a small thing, but a significant usability improvement!

Thanks for that. :) Didn't know. I can use that between my ipad and iphone. I'll tell my wife as she uses the iMAC.

That hand-off thing could certainly be handy. I'll have to look at it again and probably re-enable it. I thought that option was what made my iMac or MBA "ring" when I got a phone call on the iPhone.

I use that at home and wish I could do it at work instead of emailing URLs or pictures to myself.

The Apple Bug of the Week is another Corrupted URL causing iMessage or Message on macOS to crash while rendering the preview. The iOS and macOS fix for this and other improvements should be out this week, along with a new version of the tvOS and watchOS.

Somehow the ONE game I play regularly, and have played for years, 2048, now just routinely crashes, since a beta or so ago. And sadly the app itself hasn't been updated in over a year.

Anyone brave enough to try out iOS 11.4 available today? Messages in iCloud is turned on in this update. That is a feature I have looked forward to. I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a companion update to the Messages app in High Sierra.

Been using it since the first beta and it has worked good. There is a Mac High Sierra OS update that you need and for some reason has not been released yet.

I always run the beta releases on my iPhone but on my Macs I gave up. I ran into an odd behavior with multiple web browsers not working right. What it was with websites like Lowes wouldn't allow me to change my preferred store or on Amazon, it wouldn't filter car parts based on our cars.

I will say, it was sooooo nice having messages sync'd. It was a pain in the ass the way it currently is and having (3) Apple devices (iPhone, personal Macbook, and work iMac). You delete a text (like a notification about a delivery) but still have to delete it from the other (2) devices.

You delete a text (like a notification about a delivery) but still have to delete it from the other (2) devices.
That WILL be handy! I have the DoNotDisturbWhileDriving turned on and then I need to go into a conversation on my iPhone and Macs to delete the Auto Responses.

I wonder how much space this feature will eat up in my iCloud account?

I'm going to hold off another day and then update my iPhone 6. My son's probably upgraded his 6 already.

I wonder how much space this feature will eat up in my iCloud account?
I have 1.5 gb in "Messages" in iCloud. That's fine with me too as I use iCloud for very, very little (Notes sync'ing, iOS 'system' backup (only 161mb). I only am using 1.7gb out of the 5gb they give me.

I will do quite a bit of messages housecleaning once this feature is fully implemented and public. I did run the betas on all of my devices long enough that each was pretty much sync'd (with older messages). Every once in a while, I'd catch a status bar (?) message on one of the Macs that said something about "sync'ing messages...".

I wonder how the messages app on the Mac would behave if my iOS devices are all using iCloud for messages? I do use the app on my Mac quite a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)