iPad Mini Announced

Amazon would pay me $650 for my 64GB Black ATT "iPad 3". But it works so well that I'm not sure it's worth trading in to get the newly announced "iPad 4." I'll probably just stick with the 3 and wait for the 5.

That's what I am thinking too. Why upgrade if the 3-d generation iPad works perfectly?

That's what I am thinking too. Why upgrade if the 3-d generation iPad works perfectly?

The main advantage is to move your istuff into the new connections. If you just got an iphone 5 and have the ipad3, then making a move may be worth it to you for the connections convenience.

I'm concerned about WHY the iPad 3 was dropped. Some problem discovered? Or maybe they just wanted to change screen or other component supplier?

I'm concerned about WHY the iPad 3 was dropped. Some problem discovered? Or maybe they just wanted to change screen or other component supplier?

I'm wondering the same. Why not wait until spring for this new normal sized iPad? Makes me partially regret that we bought our "new" iPad in May now.....

SO my six-month old iPad 3 er.. next, has been cancelled. And has a new processor. Yeah, that's nice. Well, this is one time I'm NOT upgrading. Unless someone wants to pay me $650 for mine. :D No seriously, I get the desire to move to Lightning, but its kind of b.s. if you ask me. I'll stick with my not-so-new-now-cancelled-iPad next for another year. :)

So.. It appears to me in 1 year Apple has broken 3 of the Steve Jobs commandments:

Thou shalt not release new iterations of idevices more than once a year

Thou shalt not release a tablet smaller than thou ipad

Thou shalt only release devices smaller and faster than previous years' model

Unless your iPad 3 is less than 30 days old don't expect Apple to care, not that I did anyway. They are taking the defensive on this. Again I expected that. But from what I've seen online this afternoon a lot of 3rd gen owners are unhappy over the new iPad being released so soon.

Again I'm perfectly happy with ours but I do feel since the new one is also the same price as what we paid for the 3rd gen that was released just 7 months ago this set a bad precedence to those customers. Again I know it's technology and it evolves but I haven't seen this since the iPhone price drop right after the release of the original.

Last edited:
I am thinking of doing the Amazon trade in for my iPad 3. They are offering the most for my 32GB ipad 3 with Verizon, I can get the 4 in the same configuration for $200 if I do this.

However the downsides are I got to send Amazon my ipad now, so I will be without an iPad for a few weeks. (which I guess is ok)

But there is no definate date and I need mine before Thanksgiving as I am going on the cruise... what to do?

Scott were did you find this on amazon?

I did see the trade in for Ipad 2, not the 3

The main advantage is to move your istuff into the new connections. If you just got an iphone 5 and have the ipad3, then making a move may be worth it to you for the connections convenience.

That's a good reason. But for me, it doesn't justify the cost of the upgrade. In fact, for the time being, I even prefer the old connector. For my iPhone 5, all I need is an extra Lightning-to-USB cable or two, and I can use all my existing chargers. I don't use any other cables with my iPhone. For the iPad, on the other hand, I do need other adapters: HDMI, SD-card reader, etc. But I already have those with the old-style connector. I do realize that eventually I will have to replace all of those with the Lightning versions, but this can wait.

And what can you say about the new iMac?? Thinner and very attractive. And that optional Fusion Drive using flash and a hard drive looks intriguing. While I'll be curious about it, I have no need/want to move from my 2009 27" iMac.

The fusion drive is pure marketing. Its an ssd and a conventional drive for which people will pay a premium price. Its marketing to people who don't understand technology but will still say it has a fusion drive.

My mac mini has the Warp Factor drive (dual SSD).

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I think I am going to keep my iPad 3. In thinking about it, what more is a 4 going to do for me then a 3?

Sure it has a faster CPU, but what does that mean? Are games going to play faster (no) are pictures going to save faster? (no) so really whats the point? I don't care about the additional LTE support since I have Verizon already. And the better wifi is another thing that don't matter to me. I have an iPhone 5 and really the phone on WIFI is not much faster then my wife's iPhone 4s or my iPad 3.

So why bother? Only thing I am missing is is the HD Facetime camera in the front and since I really don't use Facetime I wont miss it either.

I think the only thing that has really prevented me from trading in my iPad 2 and my touchpad is the temptation of getting a Surface instead. Just waiting to see more real world impressions of the RT platform and initial hardware first.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have no intention of trading in my iPad 3 even if they gave a nice trade in offer. I'm just pissed that we were all basically victim of the most recent Apple money grab.

I love it. First people complain tha Apple doesn't update their products frequently enough - then, when Apple releases a product earlier than expected, people complain that Apple screwed them by releasing products too soon after they bought their last update. Apple doesn't owe you squat for releasing a new product on a different release schedule.

I love it. First people complain tha Apple doesn't update their products frequently enough - then, when Apple releases a product earlier than expected, people complain that Apple screwed them by releasing products too soon after they bought their last update. Apple doesn't owe you squat for releasing a new product on a different release schedule.

...and for some Apple still can do no wrong apparently.

mperdue said:

I agree with this sentiment to some extent. However, I think Apple missed the mark on this. I think Apple has been and would continue to be successful releasing iPads once a year (with perhaps updates to the mini staggered six months). It's in the phone arena where Apple faces more competitive pressure and where they would be better advised to move to a twice a year release schedule instead of their current annual release cycle. But that's just my take on it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I agree with this sentiment to some extent. However, I think Apple missed the mark on this. I think Apple has been and would continue to be successful releasing iPads once a year (with perhaps updates to the mini staggered six months). It's in the phone arena where Apple faces more competitive pressure and where they would be better advised to move to a twice a year release schedule instead of their current annual release cycle. But that's just my take on it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I agree too, the point was just buried in an overzealous effort to rub it in people's faces for some reason. It's all about expectations. This announcement kind of reminds me of the 4S presser, people were ready and waiting to be wowed (myself included) and it just didn't happen. The same just happened to many interested in a smaller iPad.

Now if Apple signaled that this marks the beginning of regular refreshes to the tablet family every 6-9 months or something, that's another story entirely. People can make informed timely decisions on when and what to buy, but that's a double edged sword too, failing to set those expectations leads to much of the disappointment you're seeing everywhere about the new iPad revision out of nowhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts