iPhone 3G S Question

Left Field Fan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
I have an iPhone 3G that my wife is willing to take off my hands ;) if I would like a 3G S. I can upgrade her phone for the 199 for a 16gb 3G S and swap phones. I want to keep our phone numbers the same though. I just wonder 3 things:

1) To keep our numbers after they activate the 3G S can I just swap sim cards?

2) Do I have to re-buy all of my apps or can I just sync with iTunes?

3) Can I sync 2 iPhones to the same computer?

Thanks for the help.

1. The sim card is what determines which "line" it is on your account.

2. good question. My guess is that you can tell iTunes that the new phone is replacing the old phone. Otherwise any time somebody got one replaced under warranty they would have the same issue.

3. better question. :D If you can't, I imagine you could work around that by having multiple logins on the computer, one for each phone.

I have an iPhone 3G that my wife is willing to take off my hands ;) if I would like a 3G S. I can upgrade her phone for the 199 for a 16gb 3G S and swap phones. I want to keep our phone numbers the same though. I just wonder 3 things:

1) To keep our numbers after they activate the 3G S can I just swap sim cards?

2) Do I have to re-buy all of my apps or can I just sync with iTunes?

3) Can I sync 2 iPhones to the same computer?

Thanks for the help.

1) Yes, You can also just have AT&T swap them for you when you purchase the new phone.

2) Just sync with iTunes.

3) Yes. You can sync many different iPhone and iPods to the same computer. You can also sync them to different ones but I would make sure you and your wife use the same iTunes account. This way if you buy any music or apps you only have to pay for them once and use them on both of the phones.

I believe you will have to have AT&T register or swap the SIM cards, so it's classed as iPhone. For both new and old. Otherwise, you might have a working phone, and a nasty surprise when your data plan bill comes in. When they thought my iPhone was my old Motorola, they really socked it to me on charges. But I called and it was easily rectified since the error was theirs. Might not be so nice if you just swap without running thru proper procedures to keep it straight.

3) Yes. You can sync many different iPhone and iPods to the same computer. You can also sync them to different ones but I would make sure you and your wife use the same iTunes account. This way if you buy any music or apps you only have to pay for them once and use them on both of the phones.

On that note, make sure you have them under the same iTunes library as well, can be frustrating trying to get two libraries on the same computer to sync.

I believe you will have to have AT&T register or swap the SIM cards, so it's classed as iPhone. For both new and old. Otherwise, you might have a working phone, and a nasty surprise when your data plan bill comes in. When they thought my iPhone was my old Motorola, they really socked it to me on charges. But I called and it was easily rectified since the error was theirs. Might not be so nice if you just swap without running thru proper procedures to keep it straight.

I would also have AT&T help but it should not be a problem just to do it himself either. He is going from iPhone to iPhone so the plan does not need to change at all. If he was going from a standard phone to iPhone then I would 10000% agree with you.

I am going to the Apple store and they will activate my new iPhone with my wife's number( they should switch from her samsung while I am there ). I will then take the new iPhone and my old iPhone home and switch the sim cards. Thanks for all the info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts