IRT Deadliest Roads

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thank you guys.. :) I sincerely appreciate your kind thoughts and kind words. :)

I'm home again but now I'm on ultra-light duty for a week at the least and probably as much as six weeks.

I go back to the doctor in 6 weeks to see what the verdict is.
I'm really bummed out that I can't do *anything* for myself, at least for now.

I'm afraid that I must now make a confession. It seems that I'm becoming addicted to this. It can be and usually is, highly frustrating, BUT, when I do, on the rare occasion, manage to make something work, I get a tremendous sense of satisfaction.

I don't understand why I'm finding myself driven to beat this thing.
It's just gotta be my hardheadedness. :rolleyes:

I thought for sure the guys were gonna ruff up some of those lunatic bus drivers, lucky for the bus drivers that the cops saved their hides..

But then the smarty pants in the van almost got his comeuppance! :D The guys boxed that jerk in and adjusted his attitude.
Like Dave said, "I'll bet that guy had to pull over and clean the *bleep* out of his shorts!" :D

I thought that was awesome when all those guys were tripping out over Lisa driving through the rock slide, they didn't think she could do it, probably didn't even believe that she should be driving but she sure showed them!

And she's right, she(we) has to put up with a lot of sexism but she deals with it and gets the job done anyway.
Lisa is awesome. She'll prevail and stick it through to the very end. I just know she will.

I love this show!

:)

I am sure the drive on the ice roads will seem like a piece of cake after being in this country on those roads.

Regarding the Swamp People, I think they're all good, but Troy, with the accent or whatever it is, is my favorite. I'm glad they know what they're doin'. Yes, the Indian roads are rediculous, a death every 4.5 minutes, are they crazy?? El.

the Indian roads are ridiculous, a death every 4.5 minutes, are they crazy??

I got a bit tired of them repeating this scary statistic so I did a bit of digging into the figures

According to these 2004 statistics India with a population of 1,080 million had a traffic fatality every 5.8 minutes

The United States with a population 293.5 million had a traffic fatality every 12.3 minutes

If the population of the United States was the same as that as India and all other factors remained the same (they never do) there would be one traffic fatality every 3.34 minutes in the United States.

The good news is since 2004 the figures have improved with the fatality rate dropping in the United States but the fact remains the average American is more likely to die in a traffic accident than the average Indian.

A more meaningful statistic would be the fatalities per 100,000 vehicle miles I suspect this would show a very different picture, unfortunately there not available for India. I just wish shows like this would attempt to provide us with useful information instead of trying to shock us with scary numbers without providing some sort of context.

Still it's a great show, I just wish they would stop repeating the useless information.

If we look at the death rate per 100,000 population the worse place to be any where near a motor vehicle would be Iran with a death rate of 38.7 followed by the Russian Federation at 24.01, I guess it would be hard to film anything in these countries.
By comparison The United States and India are a long way down the list at 14.53 and 8.33 respectively.

This series is the most stupid thing I have seen on TV. Its all fake, made for TV. If it was real, some Indian Tough guys would toss those guys and their sweetie off some cliff and be doen with them. Never figured how this fits on the History Channel along with American Pickers and other tripe.

8valve (flame suit on) LOL

This series is the most stupid thing I have seen on TV. Its all fake, made for TV. If it was real, some Indian Tough guys would toss those guys and their sweetie off some cliff and be doen with them. Never figured how this fits on the History Channel along with American Pickers and other tripe.

8valve (flame suit on) LOL

Would YOU drive a truck full of whatever through those mountain roads? I wouldn't!
And they did. Staged or not, they did drive those roads and it was tough for me to watch because me and high places don't agree with one another.

Lisa stuck with it all the way through and one dude wimped out before day one was over.

But yeah, what does that have to do with history?
Same as those stupid shows like Top Gear and Top Gun. Totally stupid and totally unrelated to history in any shape, form or fashion.

The IRT series, I only watch it to see how Lisa does, the men are immature idiots in a pi**ing contest with their "sacking" thing they do, like a male dog trying to top another male dog to show who is superior.

But Deadlist Roads had me drawn in, I like it.

That's my opinion. And we all have one.. :)

Dee,

I truly agree. History channel has kinda "lost it" with their programming in the past few years. Surely in 4.5 billion years of natural history they can find more material that revolves around the actual concept of history! LOL

The shows like Pawn Stars, Ice Road Truckers, Deadliest Roads, American Pickers, the logging shows, the UFO and BigFoot conspiracy shows and others really should have their own channel. They sincerely don't have a great deal to do with history. At least not in the manner that they portray them. They make them like a reality show. Some of it is quite interesting, when they just stick to the facts.

I did get kinda excited about the Swamp People show for one or two episodes, that is right up my alley. I am a River Rat so I love anything to do with trapping or fishing or hunting turtles and snakes and alligators, etc. But, the show didn't hold my interest as it wasn't very serious. Just another "reality show" based on unrealistic people.

There was once a series on PBS called "Swamp Smart". That show I liked really well. They delved into how to really survive in the swamp or on the land. Like what kind of plants you can eat, what plants you can use as insect repellant or soap and what water you can drink and why. Such as, swamp water can be very clean to drink in certain areas due to the fallen tree leaves which decay in the water and release tannic acid and make the water pure or safe enough to drink. Now, stuff like this would make for an interesting program. They could weave it into a history program as it could be related to how people found out how to survive in the swamp.

I guess the best thing about it all is, it is free! Can't complain about that part.

RADAR

Dee,

I truly agree. History channel has kinda "lost it" with their programming in the past few years. Surely in 4.5 billion years of natural history they can find more material that revolves around the actual concept of history! LOL

The shows like Pawn Stars, Ice Road Truckers, Deadliest Roads, American Pickers, the logging shows, the UFO and BigFoot conspiracy shows and others really should have their own channel. They sincerely don't have a great deal to do with history. At least not in the manner that they portray them. They make them like a reality show. Some of it is quite interesting, when they just stick to the facts.

I did get kinda excited about the Swamp People show for one or two episodes, that is right up my alley. I am a River Rat so I love anything to do with trapping or fishing or hunting turtles and snakes and alligators, etc. But, the show didn't hold my interest as it wasn't very serious. Just another "reality show" based on unrealistic people.

There was once a series on PBS called "Swamp Smart". That show I liked really well. They delved into how to really survive in the swamp or on the land. Like what kind of plants you can eat, what plants you can use as insect repellant or soap and what water you can drink and why. Such as, swamp water can be very clean to drink in certain areas due to the fallen tree leaves which decay in the water and release tannic acid and make the water pure or safe enough to drink. Now, stuff like this would make for an interesting program. They could weave it into a history program as it could be related to how people found out how to survive in the swamp.

I guess the best thing about it all is, it is free! Can't complain about that part.

RADAR

I agree.. It is free so who am I to complain. I guess if I was a paying subscriber THEN I would have full right to complain my head off. :rant:

Swamp people? I live too near them to be interested. Seriously. I lived and worked in Louisiana a loooong time ago and I just don't care for much of anything there.

I don't like to see the taking of a life, of any life (except mosquitoes, roaches and most bugs) and I know they are doing a population control thing but then you sit and think, "hey, didn't they like have things working pretty well before man came along?"

I don't like to see them cut down trees but I don't take issue with the kooks in the boats pulling logs out of the water someone cut down 100 years ago.

As you said, most if not all of these shows really need to be on another channel. Like, um, Discovery or Learning channels perhaps?

One thing that I love on History channel that is very educational is "The Universe" which I haven't seen in a long time now. I really love that show a lot. It's not like human history but it IS history, of the universe. I'll take that and some popcorn too!

At least one thing is good about the History channel, they quit running all those horrible, dreary, depressing war shows. Ugh... Death and destruction. My dad can watch that BS all day and night. I can't stand it. Thank goodness it's been dumped for the most part.

And that wackadoodle "End of the World" and Nostradamus, UFO, etc BS, that's just flat out koo-koo loony tunes and I'm baffled as to why that stuff is even aired at all, on any channel! :rolleyes:

But, as was said before, it is free and that is good. And while it's free, I'll watch Pawn Stars and IRT Deadliest Roads and American Pickers as long as I can still get it. They aren't bad shows, just on the wrong channel. And that works for me because I rather like SOME of them.

Free is good. I like free. Free fits my budget.. :D

Dee,

You stated it very well! Very well indeed.

I think that if you like the "Universe" program you should like NOVA on PBS. You have a dish set up for AMC 21 don't you? NOVA is excellent!

Sorry that you dislike the WAR programs on History, Dee. I understand why. No one with common sense likes war, but if we do not discuss it or review it, we are destined to repeat it all over again. So, I personally see a valued purpose to those programs. These programs ARE history and they truly belong on the channel for that reason. Not a very pleasant thing, it is a morbid thing in the very least, but it is a necessary thing to review so that we perhaps do not allow it to repeat in real life again.

OK, now we get to the "wackadoodle - koo-koo loony tunes" programs... ROFLMAO!!! That has to be the best description of those shows that I have yet heard! :) That descibes my sentiments exactly! LOL! Yeah, I agree with you here perfectly. I like UFOs and SciFi and I like BigFoot ( I saw him in "Harry and the Hendersons"), but I don't care for these shows. They are so lame. They don't even attempt to be legitimate. If they are attempting to be, they do a lousy job at it.

I think they should make two new channels and separate the shows... The Conspiracy Channel and The Strange Jobs Channel. Something like that.

Oh well, back to FREE again! Hope it remains that way. Free I mean.

RADAR

Dee,

You stated it very well! Very well indeed.

I think that if you like the "Universe" program you should like NOVA on PBS. You have a dish set up for AMC 21 don't you? NOVA is excellent!

Sorry that you dislike the WAR programs on History, Dee. I understand why. No one with common sense likes war, but if we do not discuss it or review it, we are destined to repeat it all over again. So, I personally see a valued purpose to those programs. These programs ARE history and they truly belong on the channel for that reason. Not a very pleasant thing, it is a morbid thing in the very least, but it is a necessary thing to review so that we perhaps do not allow it to repeat in real life again.

OK, now we get to the "wackadoodle - koo-koo loony tunes" programs... ROFLMAO!!! That has to be the best description of those shows that I have yet heard! :) That descibes my sentiments exactly! LOL! Yeah, I agree with you here perfectly. I like UFOs and SciFi and I like BigFoot ( I saw him in "Harry and the Hendersons"), but I don't care for these shows. They are so lame. They don't even attempt to be legitimate. If they are attempting to be, they do a lousy job at it.

I think they should make two new channels and separate the shows... The Conspiracy Channel and The Strange Jobs Channel. Something like that.

Oh well, back to FREE again! Hope it remains that way. Free I mean.

RADAR

Hahaha!!! I love your new channel ideas! Perfect!!!

Or, how about - The Tin Foil Hat Channel - ?? ;)

Nova. Yes, I do get AMC 21 in HD even in that new weird format they switched to for Montana. So yes, I do like Nova and a lot of other things on PBS. :)

The war stuff, maybe there should be like "The history of war" channel for just that stuff alone. There's very little "history" going on the History channel any more. They just need to rename it since it's so far off track now.

Ugh. Hard to reply on my iPhone so I'll catch up on this later.

Hahaha!!! I love your new channel ideas! Perfect!!!

Or, how about - The Tin Foil Hat Channel - ?? ;)

Nova. Yes, I do get AMC 21 in HD even in that new weird format they switched to for Montana. So yes, I do like Nova and a lot of other things on PBS. :)

The war stuff, maybe there should be like "The history of war" channel for just that stuff alone. There's very little "history" going on the History channel any more. They just need to rename it since it's so far off track now.

Ugh. Hard to reply on my iPhone so I'll catch up on this later.

Tim Foil Hat? That's pretty wel all encompassing, that will work! :)

I'll have to catch up later, too. I have to get some sleep. Another work day, today. Looking forward to hearing your progress on your big dish project in the other thread.

It is awful early in the morning to say good night, but it is still dark here, so... Goodnight! :)

RADAR

History still has Modern Marvels and the History of Us going for it.

I enjoy the universe type programming until it turns the ancient aliens.

As far as Swamp People and Ax Men forget it. I don't think I can take the upcoming Larry the Cableguy program either.

I don't care for Ax men-- except for Shelby Stanga that guy is hilarious! Also S&S Logging is good--especially when they were towing the logging boat "Logzilla" behind the truck and it came loose and went under the back of the truck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.