Is 3D dying?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
DirecTV cuts 3-D channel from 24-hour to part-time - Yahoo! News

Directv cutting back on 3D hours due to lack of content. they are tired of running a constant loop of repeats like the Voom channels did.

http://gizmodo.com/5592956/is-3d-already-dying

imagejpeg

Box office numbers for 3D movies have plummeted.

Last edited:
It never really took off. I know no one with 3d in their house nor do I ever hear anyone talk about unless they are talking about a movie theater and they just mention it because its in the name of the show.

Well I agree with the article, myself and several other folks I have talked to say they always try to get the 2d viewing at the theaters instead of the 3d.

Just too distracting for me and too blurry on the action. Reminds of the HDTVs back in 2004 or so when it had action. I prefer to be able to see something in detail as it moves across the screen.

DIRECTV has cut N3D down to part time and I am hearing from friends at ESPN that ESPN 3D could be gone shortly. :( It's not looking good.

When I do watch 3D I do enjoy it, I just dont watch 3D that often.

You don't have 3D vision then... ;) some don't, and those that don't hate those of us that do. (and I wear glasses).

I refuse to watch movies in 3D unless they were shot in 3D. Well I did see Titanic's conversion to see if it really could be done right, and guess what, the 2D version was better. Avatar on the other hand was the best I have seen in 3D. I already have my IMAX 3D Spiderman tickets. I now make it a point to see how the movie is shot, and just stick with the 2D if it was filmed that way. It is very telling now, the local theaters are now showing more showings in 2D over 3D. This would indicate to me that I am not alone.

I do not mind decent 3D and really enjoy great 3D. The problem is that there really is not enough real 3D shot in 3D and doing a good job of it.

I would not say that 3D is dying, just that people are tired of being exploited by fake 3D!

Scott you've been trying to kill ESPN3D for 8 months... ;) out of 3 screens here at the Indoor theater, 2 regularly show 3D daily with only 1 2D showing of each movie a day... guess it is a regional thing.

My date that I told you back at CES for ESPN 3D is quickly coming up. :)

It never really took off. I know no one with 3d in their house nor do I ever hear anyone talk about unless they are talking about a movie theater and they just mention it because its in the name of the show.

I hate to say it but I agree with him.

DIRECTV has cut N3D down to part time and I am hearing from friends at ESPN that ESPN 3D could be gone shortly. :( It's not looking good.

When I do watch 3D I do enjoy it, I just dont watch 3D that often.
Carefull, someone may take you off their reading list... Hater lol? personally I thought it was just another way to justify high prices for big screens.

I'm afraid 3D has a reputation similar to the Oldsmobile diesel.

I'm sure my next TV (no need to specify "HDTV" anymore) will be 3D capable, because that's just the way they come. But hopefully that's another 5 years away. I won't replace my AV receiver to up to 3D. I won't buy glasses.

But there is some long term hope. Maybe the Olympics will pique interest. Maybe 4K TV will bring in glasses less 3D.

I will probably give 3D one more try at the theater, if I can determine the particular movie of interest was shot in 3D and not "remastered." I'm not sure they make it easy to determine that for new releases.

But it seems, as expected, a niche product. The question is: Will that niche be large enough to encourage more 3D production?

As I have been saying since this whole recent frenzy started, 3D is the NEXT big thing. It has been that way since 1953, and has remained that way through major pushes in the early fifties, late 60s, mid 80s late nineties and early teens.

It will remain the next big thing in the major pushes of the late twenties, early forties ... until it can be viewed without glasses in a way that doesn't appear artificial and which allows an entire audience to view.

Reminds me of:
Fusion power is thirty years from commercial development and has been for the last sixty years.

When I went to see Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer I chose 2D since it was shot in 2D. The midnight showing was 40-45% full. But the projector did not have the correct file downloaded or something and it would have taken 30 minutes to do the file transfer, so they cancelled the 3D showing and refunded the 3D's ticket price. It was an easy choice for the theater to make. The two theaters side by side, same 12:01 showing, 2D 40-45% full, 3D - 1 person... That is right he was outnumbered about 100 to 1. I was surprised there were so few 3D viewers. Given that the theaters around here have more showings in 2D than 3D I guess it is a trend (some movies 2x the showings in 2D).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts