Is Americanlife on a KU band Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cellis

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 1, 2007
:) Is American Life on ku on G16? (formerly G4 ) I noticed on one web page it was on G16 99.0 and on another It was listed on a "C band" Satellite. I would love to watch some of the older TV programs it offers. I have a motor ordered for my stationary dish and looking foward to watching some of the other Retro channels along with Americanlife if is on the KU band.

It's on ku-band, but you need a 4dtv receiver to get it. It's in Digicipher2 mode. It's on G4/G16 @ 99.0w. A DVB receiver will not get it. Sorry....

Al

If you have a 4DTV receiver the G-16 ku HITS feed is free, (U- Universal mode) as long as you subscribe to something on the 4DTV. The original feed is on G-15 C band DCII megapipe.

Excuse me, i am new to all this, just what is a 4DVT receiver and how do get one, also what is decipher 2 mode. I think in layman's terms it means it's scrambled, but I am not sure. Also if I had one, (4DVT) what and how would i go about subscribing to something, I'm sorry if I seem so dumb. I have barley graduated from "rabbit ears" and black & white television. I just purchased a Glorystar system with a Fortec Star Mercury receiver and i have A motor for the dish on order. I am just beginning to learn it.I think I have learned to master it as of right now. Could anyone out there help me, and walk me through this 4DVT and "DVB" stuff. Is DVB what I have now?? One more question What is the DCII Megapipe you referred to on C Band??

Last edited:
nah you're not dumb. Its just something new to you. We've all been there (even me) :D

I'll try to explain it the best I can

There are 2 main consumer types of coding for digital channels..DVB & Digicipher II (DCII For short). Your box that picks up the Glorystar stuff is DVB. Most KU digital is DVB

When the old backyard dishes came out (10 footers), the boxes that worked with those were analog. The scrambled portion of that is Videocipher II (VCII). DCII is the digital brother. The receiver used for that programming is 4DTV. They call it that because it can get 4 different types of programming. Analog free, Analog subscription, Digital free and Digital subscription. Obviously the sub programming you have to pay for :)
It does NOT get DVB programming.

There are really only 3 receivers out there for 4DTV and all are made by Motorola. The 905, 920, & 922. So if you have one, you can get American Life TV (sort of). Here is where it gets goofy

DVB is pretty simple...its free or its subscription. 4DTV likes to add another version. I think they call it "fixed key" but I like to call it a "throw it in channel" which means to get American Life TV you have to subscribe to SOMETHING..ANYTHING. As long as the box knows there is a subscription then its included. There are some C-Band channels like that. Right now I have a 905 and I get the music channels and BlackBelt TV on G4/G16 since I do not subscribe to anything.

Here are a couple pictures of the receivers...hope it helps :)

Attachments

• 9204dtv.gif
    9204dtv.gif
    55.3 KB · Views: 201
  • C--905.JPG
    C--905.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 204
Excuse me, i am new to all this, just what is a 4DVT receiver and how do get one, also what is decipher 2 mode. I think in layman's terms it means it's scrambled, but I am not sure. Also if I had one, (4DVT) what and how would i go about subscribing to something, I'm sorry if I seem so dumb. I have barley graduated from "rabbit ears" and black & white television. I just purchased a Glorystar system with a Fortec Star Mercury receiver and i have A motor for the dish on order. I am just beginning to learn it.I think I have learned to master it as of right now. Could anyone out there help me, and walk me through this 4DVT and "DVB" stuff. Is DVB what I have now?? One more question What is the DCII Megapipe you referred to on C Band??

Im sorry I got technical. ICE gave a good explanation. To add to it, DCII megapipe is a version of Digicipher 2 that uses a combo mode, (I won't go into technical details) The 4DTV will not decode that. You need a commercial receiver such as a Motorola DSR 4800. You also need a commercial account with many subscibers to get access.

The only way to get ALTV is to get a Motorola DSR 905, 920 or 922 and subscribe to at least one ala carte service with NPS or SRL. It will turn on automatically. There are also a few others in Universal mode that come and go on C band.

For the more advanced:

ZK and FP - will work without a subscription.
U - free but requires any subscription.
NS - No subscription (a subscription is required)
S - Subscribed.
MP - You cannot subscribe to these.

Thank you for the info. sounds complicated, but I'm learning, I have a "Dish 500" from Dish network system, could I subscribe to a digital service they offer and get the 4DVT receiver from them or would I have to get one (4DVT receiver) from another source. Also, you talked about a-la-cart service with "NPS or SRL" ... What is NPS or SLR??

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. sounds complicated, but I'm learning, I have a "Dish 500" from Dish network system, could I subscribe to a digital service they offer and get the 4DVT receiver from them or would I have to get one (4DVT receiver) from another source. Also, you talked about a-la-cart service with "NPS or SRL" ... What is NPS or SLR??

Dish network is a different entity they have nothing to do with 4DTV. In fact they are the enemy.:rolleyes:

You can get a 4DTV here:

C-band Satellite TV, 4DTV and Free To Air Satellite Entertainment

NPS and SRL are programing providers.

NPS is here:

NPS - Your One Call Solution - CBAND Satellite Programming C-band

SRL is here:

Satellite Receivers C band and 4DTV satellite programming

Skyvision's Programing is here:

C-band Satellite Programming - Packages and A la Carte

Thanks again for the information. I have been looking at skyvisions web page and I think I am learning little by little. I need a C band dish and a 4DVT box and subscribe to something, Right?? One other Question, If I up-grade my Fortec Mecury II
C/KU Band GloryStar system which has a 36" dish to a 6 foot or 8 foot dish, then would I be set to add a 4DVT receiver and still use the glorystar system and subscribe to something from a program provider for the 4DVT box?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)