Is DirecTV still a thing?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Think it was just random south park comedy .. some of the south park skits are .... way out there in left field . They do a lot of current event skits like the pandemic and other stuff. Gotta remember it's humor and not to take it serious ... like family guy but more ...

Think of the movie Ted...?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Getting back to the OP's question of whether DTV is "still a thing," it looks like AT&T is set to spin off DTV to a newly formed, separate company any day now. The transaction is rumored to close this month or next. The new company will just be known as DIRECTV and operate out of El Segundo, CA, the original DTV HQ.

Meanwhile, looks like the brand is getting a new logo and slogan. Here's the new logo that leaked out for DIRECTV Stream, which is what they're renaming AT&T TV. I'm sure the new logo for DTV will just be the top part without "stream".

Directv-stream-logo.jpg

The slogan "Beam it or stream it" was found as being registered to the company recently. Get DTV either way you like: beam it via satellite or stream it over the net.

Reactions: SamCdbs
It's going to be interesting how the split will effect the AT&T folks with the discounts that have been receiving due to combining services. Same goes for will HBO continue to be offered for free for eligible packages. If they get rid of all those extra savings it will make my current bill look a whole lot worst then it is.

Reactions: mdonnelly
The slogan "Beam it or stream it" was found as being registered to the company recently. Get DTV either way you like: beam it via satellite or stream it over the net.

This is what I thought they were going to do back when they first talked about doing streaming. It just makes too much sense to offer the same (or as close as possible to same) packages and channels and prices, you choose the delivery.

The only difference in what you ultimately pay would be related to differences in the install and what equipment is provided.

If they were smart they would support Directv clients over ethernet (for people who don't have coax) and AT&T TV clients over coax (for people who don't have ethernet and wireless isn't desired) using DECAs. Then you could swap out a Directv install for an AT&T TV install (or vice versa, if you already had or install a dish)

They'd just need to embed some testing/diagnostic software that runs automatically that can inform you about problems in your network / wireless, when your dish is out of alignment, and so forth. Can't believe they didn't do that years ago, but I guess AT&T would rather make people call them so they can try to sell them other products.

This is what I thought they were going to do back when they first talked about doing streaming. It just makes too much sense to offer the same (or as close as possible to same) packages and channels and prices, you choose the delivery.

The only difference in what you ultimately pay would be related to differences in the install and what equipment is provided.

If they were smart they would support Directv clients over ethernet (for people who don't have coax) and AT&T TV clients over coax (for people who don't have ethernet and wireless isn't desired) using DECAs. Then you could swap out a Directv install for an AT&T TV install (or vice versa, if you already had or install a dish)

The channel packages are already very close between DTV and AT&T TV and I expect they're going to get closer still as AT&T TV becomes DTV Stream (e.g. adding some or all among PBS, ION, INSP, NFL Network, and Cowboy Channel, while also filling in the missing CW and My Network TV affiliates).

But I don't see them configuring the pricing so that it's the same given DTV's higher installation and equipment costs. I don't see them getting rid of DTV's 2-yr contract either in lieu of a $300 up-front installation charge.

And then you also have the fact that additional TVs (as well as other screens) can be used for no additional cost with the DTV Stream app while you must rent additional DTV receivers for $7/mo each. Or if you want the DTV Stream box, you can buy them for $120 each (or $5/mo for 24 months) rather than rent them as you do with DTV. The two products have different underlying costs and so DTV will require a higher ARPU than DTV Stream. And DTV Stream will be competing against YTTV, Hulu with Live TV, and Fubo TV, which all have a lower starting price point ($65/mo) than AT&T TV currently does ($70/mo).

So all that said, I don't see a unified checkout system where you see a single set of prices and you simply check a box as to whether you want your service delivered via DBS or OTT. Instead, I think we'll see both options featured on a new www.directv.com homepage and then the two services detailed on separate sub-pages, with separate checkout systems, from there.

DTV Stream will probably be what they mostly advertise. It will have its own slogan of "Get Your TV Together" likely referring to the fact that it allows you to watch cable TV via the same device/TV input/remote control that you use to watch streaming apps like Netflix, HBO Max, YouTube, Prime Video, etc. That's something you simply can't do on DTV or Uverse TV (or lots of traditional cable TV operators) given that those services' receivers lack streaming apps.

It's going to be interesting how the split will effect the AT&T folks with the discounts that have been receiving due to combining services. Same goes for will HBO continue to be offered for free for eligible packages. If they get rid of all those extra savings it will make my current bill look a whole lot worst then it is.

I know that the new DirecTV company has marketing agreements in place with AT&T that allows AT&T to sell and bundle their products together. As for the free year of HBO Max on upper-level DTV and AT&T TV channel packages for new subscribers, though, I don't know if that will continue or not. But I'm sure existing subscribers who have that perk won't see it taken away.

The biggest culprit of rain fade was a really high thunderstorm cloud that could be 5 miles away but be blocking the dish.
Correct, and if you make sure that your dish is aligned well, you generally will have very little rain fade to deal with.

I can't remember the last time I lost picture for any more than a few minutes due to Severe storms.

Btw, that a HUGE advantage over Cable ... once the storm passes, if you do happen to have Rain Fade, your back in business right away.

Ever see how long it takes most Cable companies to get out there to replace a drop ?

Reactions: dtv757
The channel packages are already very close between DTV and AT&T TV and I expect they're going to get closer still as AT&T TV becomes DTV Stream (e.g. adding some or all among PBS, ION, INSP, NFL Network, and Cowboy Channel, while also filling in the missing CW and My Network TV affiliates).

But I don't see them configuring the pricing so that it's the same given DTV's higher installation and equipment costs. I don't see them getting rid of DTV's 2-yr contract either in lieu of a $300 up-front installation charge.

And then you also have the fact that additional TVs (as well as other screens) can be used for no additional cost with the DTV Stream app while you must rent additional DTV receivers for $7/mo each. Or if you want the DTV Stream box, you can buy them for $120 each (or $5/mo for 24 months) rather than rent them as you do with DTV. The two products have different underlying costs and so DTV will require a higher ARPU than DTV Stream. And DTV Stream will be competing against YTTV, Hulu with Live TV, and Fubo TV, which all have a lower starting price point ($65/mo) than AT&T TV currently does ($70/mo).

So all that said, I don't see a unified checkout system where you see a single set of prices and you simply check a box as to whether you want your service delivered via DBS or OTT. Instead, I think we'll see both options featured on a new www.directv.com homepage and then the two services detailed on separate sub-pages, with separate checkout systems, from there.

DTV Stream will probably be what they mostly advertise. It will have its own slogan of "Get Your TV Together" likely referring to the fact that it allows you to watch cable TV via the same device/TV input/remote control that you use to watch streaming apps like Netflix, HBO Max, YouTube, Prime Video, etc. That's something you simply can't do on DTV or Uverse TV (or lots of traditional cable TV operators) given that those services' receivers lack streaming apps.
So, as of now, you STILL need a BOX to do the D* Stream, right ?
I'll wait for the time when you can download the app onto your TV or Roku or Firestick.

Curious, if you don't need a Box (thinking in the future here) could you then head to your friends and turn on D* with your credentials and continue watching what you were watching at home ?

Ever see how long it takes most Cable companies to get out there to replace a drop ?

It took a couple of days for the snow/ice to melt off the dish a few years back. No TV during that time.

It would take some effort to kill my buried fiber line. I’ve had fiber for about 5 years… never lost access. Buried power lines as well. I think I’ve had 3 power outages in 15 years in the house.

However, the buried cable line was cut once by the neighbor when she cut the grass… apparently, my line was too near the land surface when it went over a root. Now, it goes under the root. That took a while to fix. Unfortunately it’s currently unused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It took a couple of days for the snow/ice to melt off the dish a few years back. No TV during that time.

It would take some effort to kill my buried fiber line. I’ve had fiber for about 5 years… never lost access. Buried power lines as well. I think I’ve had 3 power outages in 15 years in the house.

However, the buried cable line was cut once by the neighbor when she cut the grass… apparently, my line was too near the land surface when it went over a root. Now, it goes under the root. That took a while to fix. Unfortunately it’s currently unused.

Never put your dish on the roof, if at all possible.

Who says the installation charge has to be up front? They can tell you it is $300 (or whatever...there's no way it costs them that much) and that you will pay it off at $12.50 a month for 24 months. If you cancel early you owe the balance. That would allow keeping the pricing in line and avoid the need for the two year commitment.

To really make this work they'd have to have an option for self installs. The receivers are able to able to tell if the install passes IV so they know the amateur did as good a job as their laziest employees.

So, as of now, you STILL need a BOX to do the D* Stream, right ?
I'll wait for the time when you can download the app onto your TV or Roku or Firestick.

Curious, if you don't need a Box (thinking in the future here) could you then head to your friends and turn on D* with your credentials and continue watching what you were watching at home ?
No you don’t and you never have. ATT TV has an app for almost every device. No box needed

Reactions: NashGuy
No you don’t and you never have. ATT TV has an app for almost every device. No box needed
So I can watch my D* stuff at anyone home that has a TV ?
As of right now, I can't get any of my local channels outside of my Home, even if I use the D* app on my Cell phone, let alone a Laptop/Tablet or TV.

As of right now, I can't get any of my local channels outside of my Home, even if I use the D* app on my Cell phone, let alone a Laptop/Tablet or TV.

Correct. Login works anywhere. It is limited to 3 streams at once outside the home.

On the D* app , I believe locals (out side of home) depends on where you are or what DMA the device your using is .

Example my home market ,Norfolk , I cannot get locals outside of my home . But I noticed when I travel to a big metro area (DC, ATL, PHI, NYC) they do show up in the app ...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)