Is Dish Networks PQ better?

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Is Dish Networks PQ better than cables PQ?
I heard people saying Dish Networks PQ for SD/HD is not comparable to cables PQ..not sure if this is true..confirm please.

I heard people saying Dish Networks PQ for SD/HD is not comparable to cables PQ..not sure if this is true..confirm please.

Icewolf,

The answer will vary by region. Your cable company might have a better picture than mine or somebody else's.

Dish Networks HD and most of the SD channels PQ are better than DirecTV. I can state this because DirecTV's and Dish's PQ is the same for everybody. One persons Time Warner or Comcast's PQ might be better than another persons local Time Warner, Comcast or another company might be better or worse.

There is NO answer that is the same for everybody. If you want the most HD then Dish is your pick. If you want a good picture then Dish is the best pick over DirecTV, but might not be if you compare it to your Local Cable Company. Secondly is your local Cable company carrying all of you Local Network affiliates, mine isn't. Lastly how does your local cable company get the Network affiliated signals, my cable company gets a Fiber Feed from the affiliates they carry in HD.

Another question is does DirecTV or Dish Network carry your local affiliates in HD or can you get your Local Affiliates OTA HD feed. In general you will get much better PQ from your OTA signals over either DirecTV or Dish Networks satellite delivered Network affiliated signals.

John

Although your will results will vary by provider, I feel this provides an fair summary: Cable typically offers better HD PQ since more than half of the DishHD lineup is currently downrezzed (aka HD-Lite)...although cable typically offers far fewer HD channels even if you don't include the 15 VOOM HD channels. Dish Networks SD PQ is much better than analog cable (2-99), and your results will vary when comparing it to digital cable channels.

Of course, FiOS will knock the socks off of both (as good or much better) cable and Dish Network...:)

Well my problemw ith cable is..
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=34590

You can read about my problem there instead of making a 10 pages thread long..

They are horrid for me..i will give Dish network HD a try when February 1st comes..when i get the free 622 receiver.

I think you will like it. The 622 is a very good receiver - the occasional software upgrade burps to the contrary notwithstanding!

I had Dish for many years at home, and still do at work. I've had a Comcast HD DVR for almost 2 years now. (First, the analog/digital 6412, now the all-digital 3412.)

Without a doubt, Comcast's PQ is way way way better than Dish, especially for local channels. But, it is across the board. Locals, SD, HD, the whole nine yards, have better PQ than Dish. No comparison.

Ask your doctor to see if cable is right for you.

Cool, atm i am just waiting for February 1st...when they come and do the installation..so i get free 622 receiver+dish and free installation along HD platinum package channels

GaryPen -
That is the new deal for the 622 announced at CES! He'll get it when he waits.

Someone posted that DTV HDTV + SD channels look way better than Dishnetwork.. True or False?
I am looking into quality over quantity...i watch tons of SD channels but also a fair amount of channels on HD

Do you think ViP 622 receiver is better than the HR20 receiver?

I have Dish Network and the PQ continues to degrade since the downrezzing began in December 2005. Nearly all of the HD broadcasts have taken on a softness that washes out the individual hairs you used to see on people's heads. There are some exceptions, but softness and lack of detail are becomming the norm.

Recently I had the opportunity to travel to Raleigh NC to see my new grandson. While in Raleigh we watched a lot of programming on my son's Sony 46 inch LCD. The picture quality was nothing less than incredible. One could see the individual hairs and beads of sweat that used to be available on Dish but is no longer.

In this instance, cable blows Dish away!

Hmm my cable company charter..they suck hard...
btw does ur grandson have dish too?

I was at my Dad's house last night in North Jersey, he has Cablevision. Saying it sucks would be a compliment. The DVR is super clunky and slow, and the PQ has so many artifacts I felt like Indy Jones. Constant breaking up and digitizing. He said it was always that way when it rains. And the local HD wasn't any better. He couldn't even get the CBS, ABC or PBS channels to tune in. Glad to not have that option here.

Cool, atm i am just waiting for February 1st...when they come and do the installation..so i get free 622 receiver+dish and free installation along HD platinum package channels

Icewolf...where are you located?? and how much are they quoting you monthly for the platinum package?

That AND..is there anyone in the Northeast (NJ) who already has HD through Dish and would like to comment on the the PQ?? I am REALLY close and I just want to make sure that I am not shooting myself in the foot!

Last edited:
Icewolf...where are you located?? and how much are they quoting you monthly for the platinum package?

That AND..is there anyone in the Northeast (NJ) who already has HD through Dish and would like to comment on the the PQ?? I am REALLY close and I just want to make sure that I am not shooting myself in the foot!

If you want a lot of HD channels, then Dish has the most. The PQ is not as good as it used to be before all the downrezzing began around December 2005. I cannot speak from personal experience regarding DirecTv but many who post say PQ is same or slightly worse.

Most sports in HD look pretty good to excellent.

Be prepared that standard defintion from Dish is not very good though.

Anything you can get over the air will be better than what Dish or DirecTv have! I get non HD programs with rabbit ears that look nearly as good as what Dish calls HD!

There is some cable that is better than satellite, and some that is worse. As I said in my earlier post, my son has cable in Raleigh NC and the PQ was stunning, fantastic, awesome, the best I have ever seen.

Take the plunge, get the free 622 and stop worrying about it. It is probably your best option.

I am located in Reno,Nevada, paid this months bill 99$ but after few months my bill will go up to 144$ after next 3 months.
Last month was 166$

I had Dish for many years at home, and still do at work. I've had a Comcast HD DVR for almost 2 years now. (First, the analog/digital 6412, now the all-digital 3412.)

Without a doubt, Comcast's PQ is way way way better than Dish, especially for local channels. But, it is across the board. Locals, SD, HD, the whole nine yards, have better PQ than Dish. No comparison.

Ask your doctor to see if cable is right for you.

Just the oppsite here, DISH PQ is way way way better than cable, just come and look at Comcast in this area. 12 years ago the 480MHZ analog system was state of the art, now they cramed so many digital channels the PQ is so soft. There are upgrading but it will be 2 years before they get to side of there system I'm located

BTW whats the return policy...lets say im not happy with their service..how much time do i have to cancel my service? will that cost me anything if i cancel my service because i wasn't satisfied?

BTw this is regarding Dish Network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)