is fios planned for mi?

Not Verizon FIOS. I believe they sold its assests including FIOS assets there to Frontier.

Can you point to the spot that mentions expansion? Perhaps there are commitments that still must be met, but again I think by Frontier.

Fios is Verizon's "orphan child" it is where it is, but that's it. They gave up on it.

I don't think they gave up on it, but there are plenty of upfront costs (they've spent billions) which can only be recovered over a period of years. Whereas the returns on their wireless investments are much more impressive. Due to the economy they've been focusing on building-out and increasing penetration in their existing markets. For example, back at our VA home they've had a cable franchise agreement since October 2006. At that time FiOS was 3-miles away. Well, six years later Fios is still 3-miles away and Verizon has only built-out a few small areas in the county. By years seven (13-months away) they need to meet the 7-year threshold and, according to my quick estimate, they are less than 1/3rd along the way to meeting this threshold. They will need to upgrade two or three central offices, bury trunkline fiber, run it into many of the larger subdivision and schedule orders in 13-short months. To be honest, I'm somewhat sure these COs have been readied and the trunk line fiber buried along with road improvements over the past 3-years. But Verizon will have to sink a lot of construction and equipment costs into the county during 2013. I think they will follow this model elsewhere for the next 2-3 years. Of course, the economy could take off and Verizon and others have more money to invest. We shall see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)