Is HDMI that much better?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

steve617

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
I need a little advice I had a upgrade this weekend to a 622 and my installer used at my request a HDMI cable instead of component. I have heard that the HDMI suppose to be the best. One issue I am soon going to have is my TV only has 1 HDMI input and several components. It supports 1081i,720p and 480i and 480p. I would like to get a DVD upconverter however I probably have to use my only HDMI hookup on the upconverter. Thanks for any advice.

Me physically I had my 211 on component cables and I really caould not tell a difference.

Uh oh another thread about this. To keep it short, I hope: Try both and go with the one you like the best. Anything anyone can say about quality is subjective and opinion only.

In theory HDMI should be better, since it is pure digital, and considering the data coming from Dish is sent Digitally, theoretically less change has to occur to the signal when it is sent to your tv, than if you have to convert to analog for the transmission over component.

That said, I am in the same position as you. I had my 622 connected to my tv via HDMI, but then I bought a DVD upconverter, and I had to change my 622 to component. The only difference I could tell was that everything was a little darker, but I adjusted my brightness and contrast levels a little and I can't tell a difference now.

So I say go for it. :)

(By the way, I have a cheap unconverting dvd player (philips, bought for $29 on black friday) and it really does a great job on my DVD's. I am very happy, so I think it is definitely worth the cable change.)

What Sammy says is the only way to do it. Try both. Get a cheap HDMI cable, they all work the same, and try it. I've been using component on my 622 and saw an HDMI cable for about $5 so I figured I'd try it. IMO the component looks better. Weather it IS better doesn't matter to me since I like the way component looks better.

I need a little advice I had a upgrade this weekend to a 622 and my installer used at my request a HDMI cable instead of component. I have heard that the HDMI suppose to be the best. One issue I am soon going to have is my TV only has 1 HDMI input and several components. It supports 1081i,720p and 480i and 480p. I would like to get a DVD upconverter however I probably have to use my only HDMI hookup on the upconverter. Thanks for any advice.

Me physically I had my 211 on component cables and I really caould not tell a difference.

In tehroy HDMI is better, but HDMI can have compatabliity issues especially with home theater receivers. In the end on short runs using good cables you won;t see a differnce, so use your inputs as needed. I run my 622 to my plasma via components for 2 reasons, one to save limited inputs on the TV And 2 so I don;t need to run it through my receiver. I run optical from 622 to receiver if I want audio via my home theater. I save the HDMI inputs for my Receiver and drive my HD-DVD and Blu-Ray through that since to upconvert those signals need to be HDMI and the newer audio codecs are via HDMI. Dish has no inherent advantage to use HDMI. Now int he future there is rumors that you will need to use HDMI for certin DRM flagged content. For me Anything worth flagging I probably am buying or renting on HD/BD - DVD.

Couple of additional notes as this is too close for most to call.
As PeteMC11 said get an hdmi swicth if you would prefer multiple HDMI on both. not expensive and work great.
The second is that I use HDMI on my bedroom 622 cos i only have the tv speakers, on my 622 in the main room as i use an Av receiver for sound and so i use optical for sound and my receiver doesnt have an HDMI. So the point being HDMI is tidier if you can use it.

Last week I switched from an Elite receiver to a Sony 910 (both 770 watt). The Sony is much lower in sound quality, but it has 3 hdmi inputs. I am 100% hdmi now and the sound quality is actually better than it was when I was on component cables using optical audio cables. The wife and I were watching We Were Soldier hd dvd the other night and the bass actually was shaking our hair (never happened with the previous receiver). As far as PQ is concerned, you would have to have really really really really really really really really REALLY good eyes to tell the difference. Component is great because its so wide for the signal its like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. Sure its digital to analog back to digital, but its a great medium. However, 100% pure digital is better. I have $5 hdmi cables from amazon and I love hdmi. I think it basically boils down to user preference and needs.

Last week I switched from an Elite receiver to a Sony 910 (both 770 watt). The Sony is much lower in sound quality, but it has 3 hdmi inputs. I am 100% hdmi now and the sound quality is actually better than it was when I was on component cables using optical audio cables. The wife and I were watching We Were Soldier hd dvd the other night and the bass actually was shaking our hair (never happened with the previous receiver).
The difference you hear in audio is your receiver and settings/calibration. Optical and HDMI audio are sending the same 5.1 DD to the receiver. Assuming you are talking about a Dish box. IF you are talking audio from HD DVD/Blu-Ray then that is a differen't story.

As for component or HDMI, as others said, try both and pick one or choose the one that works with your setup. If both inputs are calibrated correctly it would be nearly impossible to see any difference. I use component for what its worth.

The difference you hear in audio is your receiver and settings/calibration. Optical and HDMI audio are sending the same 5.1 DD to the receiver. Assuming you are talking about a Dish box. IF you are talking audio from HD DVD/Blu-Ray then that is a differen't story.

As for component or HDMI, as others said, try both and pick one or choose the one that works with your setup. If both inputs are calibrated correctly it would be nearly impossible to see any difference. I use component for what its worth.

Like I said - We Were Soldiers HD DVD. The audio on helicopter and plane flyovers and on explosions was absolutely AMAZING. I have always had a decent surround sound setup and I was impressed. It was my first hd dvd on hdmi and I noticed the difference. Dish 722... I dont notice too much b/c the source audio isnt that great to begin with imo.

Like I said - We Were Soldiers HD DVD. The audio on helicopter and plane flyovers and on explosions was absolutely AMAZING. I have always had a decent surround sound setup and I was impressed. It was my first hd dvd on hdmi and I noticed the difference. Dish 722... I dont notice too much b/c the source audio isnt that great to begin with imo.

Agree. I enjoy the audio on HD DVD/Blu-Ray as much or more than the PQ.

I ordered a hdmi switch box. I also use optical to my reciever since I dont have HDMI on my Onkyo reciever. Funny you mentioned We were soldiers. I love the movie especially the choppers. Works my SVS sub. thanks

My plasma has all the video inputs I need. I let the TV do the video switching. I only send audio to my 5.1 receiver.

I ordered a hdmi switch box. I also use optical to my reciever since I dont have HDMI on my Onkyo reciever. Funny you mentioned We were soldiers. I love the movie especially the choppers. Works my SVS sub. thanks

Steve, I think you will like the MonoPrice switch box.The only thing I don't like about it is the flashing red light on the front.It's very bright and annoying.I put some black electrical tape over it. Enjoy!

Remember, tv industry is moving toward using hdcp. If this does come true, the only way to see true hd will be using hdmi.

IMO, HDMI is better for HD, but can make a less than stellar SD picture look worse.

You also can't just flip back and forth between HDMI and component and say one looks better than the other. Color and picture settings would need to be tweaked for each connection before making a judgement, which isn't really easy to do.

Remember, tv industry is moving toward using hdcp. If this does come true, the only way to see true hd will be using hdmi.

I think this is the most important argument made for HDMI thus far. Picture quality differences will be negligible, but as content providers continue to get more anal about copy protection, HDMI will at some point become almost mandatory to see full HD.

My HD-A2 already won't upconvert standard DVD's unless it's via HDMI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)