Is it just me or are there some real a**holes on other forums?!

wasch_24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
Nothern Virginia, D.C. Area
I don't know what the deal is but this forum is the only forum that I participate in that isn't overflowing with cocky know-it-alls. I mean, yeah sometimes one can read the wrong emotion into a post but most of the time these people are just blantantly being a prick. Whether it has to do with knowledge of technical things or choice and opinions of equipment doesn't matter much. I'm just glad that everyone here is respectfull and eager to help.

Todd :)

I think it comes in phases. Even this forum can get that way occasionally but true, it doesn't seem as often as some of the other forums I frequent. The "best" (or worst) are the open source forums where the opensource vs. commercial arguments cloud most every piece of advice, etc. Still some good stuff in them though, just takes time to not get involved in the rhetoric.

I also feel the same way about this .I really like this forum because of what you just said about the people here they treat each other with respect.I have been to alot of other forums where the people are real a**holes just like you said.When I first joined this forum I was really new to voom and have learned alot so far.I have a masters degree in electerical engineering and also television and broadcasting .I have worked with all of the engineers at wwaytv3,wecttv6,wsfx26,wunjtv,wilmtv and many others in the surrounding areas .I have also helped alot of these stations get there digital transmisions on the air.I would just like to say thank you to all of the members of this forum for being the way you are(respectfull) of others point of views,in closing I would like to say thank you for letting me be one of your moderators on this forum and I will do my best to help out in any way I can.thanks again.DIGITAL~DAN

Winter don't exsist here in Sunny Miami =)

I agree with all of you guys. This is truely the best well-rounded forum I have ever been too not just beacuse it's focused on Voom but because of it's structure and dedicated members.

Thanks to All!

The HomeTheaterSpot is pretty good too, at least the Toshiba forum and the audio forums. Can't speak for all of the various manufacturers forums, but the ones that I frequent are very good.

Lob

I would have to agree on this place being a great forum for VOOM discussion. Even though I am in a bad mood about VOOM right now, and trying to figure out what's going on with these problems I'm getting, I find people here are pretty patient with you. On other boards they might just tell you to "hit the door if you don't like it". Here you get decent responses from people that are really trying to just help.

Todd,
I believe I know the forum you are talking about and yes there seems to be a lot of messy attitudes concerning VOOM there. But, as with real life, some people have a hard time with change and sometimes that discomfort results in more personal attacks and questionable comments. With that being said, there is still a lot of good info on that forum and helpful/nice people. Sometimes you have to either weed through the muck for the real value or take a break from that forum and come back when you think things have settled down.

AVS, Home Theater, and the forum are all my favorites and I rely on these areas to help me out with my HT. In the little time I have been a part of this forum, I have recieved nothing but great help/info with anything relating to VOOM. I can say this, with voom being the top subject in my HT, at the moment, this forum is my primary forum.

Mike

Here you get decent responses from people that are really trying to just help.

That's what we are here for, to help one another. If we can't help each other out there is no reason for us to exist, we might as well shut the doors (or turn off the server as the case may be).

None of us get paid for doing this, we do it because we enjoy this satellite hobby and we want to help others get the most from their satellite setups as well.

mkwillia said:
Todd,
I believe I know the forum you are talking about and yes there seems to be a lot of messy attitudes concerning VOOM there. But, as with real life, some people have a hard time with change and sometimes that discomfort results in more personal attacks and questionable comments. With that being said, there is still a lot of good info on that forum and helpful/nice people. Sometimes you have to either weed through the muck for the real value or take a break from that forum and come back when you think things have settled down.

AVS, Home Theater, and the forum are all my favorites and I rely on these areas to help me out with my HT. In the little time I have been a part of this forum, I have recieved nothing but great help/info with anything relating to VOOM. I can say this, with voom being the top subject in my HT, at the moment, this forum is my primary forum.

Mike
Mike,
It's not just concerning Voom. The biggest culprit is an audio forum I frequent. There are a boat load of audiophiles there that seem to me waiting in the weeds for some unknowing prey to come lumbering along. By no means am I implying that it is the dominant attitude. It's just that here, it doesn't seem to happen at all as compared to some of the other sites.

I have been a member of AVSForum for quite a while, and I can assure you there is lack of pompous asses on there! I guess after a time, you just develop thick skin, because they sure do get the info quicker than almost any other place.

Yea, I know the type of forums you are talking about. I like this place and thank Scott and all the other moderators for their hard work. The people here are very friendly and love to share their knowledge. I have learned a lot.

I'm a newbie to this forum, but have posted quite a bit to others.

My observation is that newsgroups and boards such as the one on Yahoo that is unmoderated attracts people who like to keep things stirred up. For these sources to work, you have to have a way of enforcing rules for those who don't want to play right.

Furthermore, the layout of this forum is very user friendly. You can read a ton of post within a thread without clicking on each individual one.

In defense of AVS, it is a HUGE site. I moderate the Projector forums, and even though we are a relatively small piece of the pie I still spend a lot of time every day editing posts. God help you if you moderate a forum like HTPC, Tivo community, etc; That said, I use this forum for most of my Voom questions and conversation. The reason is simple... this is a Voom forum. On AVS, Voom discussions usually span all 3 HD forums and are very subjective. I value the dissent there however, just as I value the helpful nature of the forum here. Call me crazy :)

Home Theater Spot caters to their "paid" subscribers while ignoring and sometimes barring non-paid people if they present an opposing view. HTS is not a democracy but a dictatorship.

One confirmed instance was a handful of "paid members" name-calling an unpaid newbie. The newbie responded by name-calling back. The moderator came down on the newbie by barring him. When the newbie pointed out to the moderator that the paid members were the instigators (it was on record) the moderator promptly barred him! Paid members were left unpunished. Unreal.

You'd better watch out for sites like Home Theater Spot. They censor and offer only one-sided views and therefore cannot be used as a true forum that lets viewing of all views on a given subject. Dangerous if you ask me. Completey bias too. Especially if you really want to gather info about, let's say, buying a new HDTV. You will not get unbiased info because the moderators heavily screen and erase opposing views. I also wonder if HTS is sponsored by any TV manufacturer?

NOW. Watch some "Spot" members in here try to cover and spin. It'll be better than watching cable!

Spot does have some advantages. Their tweaks section for paid members is outstanding. I got EXTENSIVE details for tuning my Hitachi there. That said, it is a matter of choice. I don't use it very often, but I more than got my money's worth.

AVS has no lack of pompous asses thats for sure. Network employees and moderators not excluded. (not you madpoet). Have you noticed the moderators staunch defense of any network rep on there no matter the position? Its ridiculous. The treatment of Voomers is also bad. Its a common occurance for D* users to come into a topic and state its emminent failure etc, and that they are sick of hearing about it, or that nothing can happen without a press release. Change is always met with resistance, but if voom continues to progress, theres gonna be lotssssss of changes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)