This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Is Monsters HD going to Wow us this Halloween?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
or are they going to play the same old movies. This is what AMC is doing:

AMC's MONSTERFEST 2005 Fright Fest Marks the Largest MONSTERFEST Ever; Ninth Year of AMC's Popular Halloween Festival Features 200 Non-Stop Hours of Horror Films and Movie Premieres over Nine Days -- October 23-31

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 29, 2005--
Original Series Episode Premiere of Movies That Shook the World: the Exorcist

AMC's MONSTERFEST 2005, the network's ninth annual Halloween movie festival, gains monster steps with this year's celebration by offering more Halloween programming than ever before. Television's most popular destination for the avid horror movie fan takes place from October 23-31, a nine-day, 24-hour frightfest with over 200 hours of non-stop horror movies complemented by an original series episode and AMC network premieres.

On the first night of the festival, AMC is presenting DVD_TV: FRIDAY THE 13th, in honor of the 25th anniversary of FRIDAY THE 13th on October 23 beginning at 6 pm ET/PT with the full screen version. At 8 pm ET/PT, an enhanced version of FRIDAY THE 13th, containing original, DVD-like extra programming content below the "letterboxed" print, will be surrounded by special interviews with FRIDAY THE 13th's original cast members, director and screenwriter. At 10 pm ET/PT, the network will premiere FRIDAY THE 13th PART IV. AMC will also present other sequels throughout MONSTERFEST from the popular franchise that gave hockey masks unsportsman-like creepiness.

AMC's original series MOVIES THAT SHOOK THE WORLD will premiere a new episode about the scariest movie ever made -- THE EXORCIST -- and explain how this supernatural film stretched the R rating to the breaking point while making record profits from traditional Catholic demonology. Produced by World of Wonder, each half-hour episode of the series is devoted to a celebrated film that triggers strong emotions, changes public opinion, and leaves an indelible mark on our culture. MOVIES THAT SHOOK THE WORLD: THE EXORCIST premieres on October 28 at 10 PM ET/PT with THE EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC airing at 7:30 PM ET/PT and THE EXORCIST III at 10:30 PM ET/PT.

At the core of AMC's MONSTERFEST 2005 Halloween celebration is a wide array of horror films that have maintained a lasting generational appeal. Throughout the event's nine days and nights, horror fans will be treated to: ARACHNOPHOBIA, SPECIES II, SCREAM 2, HALLOWEEN IV, HALLOWEEN V, and HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION, TREMORS, HELLRAISER, HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART IV and VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED. Other key movies to thrill all horror fans include: CARRIE, PET SEMETARY II, PROPHECY, MARY SHELLEY'S FRANKENSTEIN, AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON and DRACULA.

Source

I was wowed last October, but I get the impression we will be underwhelmed this year. Until VOOM does something...anything...I will continue to maintain my low expectations of their entire VOOM HD lineup.

Showtime also has a great series coming up, Masters of Horror;

Masters of Horror is a new anthology series featuring prominent directors of the horror film genre who have joined forces to produce a series of new original horror films that promises to shock, terrify and captivate even the most discriminating horror film fans. The series grew out of an informal bi-monthly dinner attended by many of the horror genre's most highly regarded directors.

Slated to direct are Dario Argento ("Suspiria," "Opera"), John Carpenter ("Halloween," "The Thing"), Larry Cohen ("It's Alive"), Don Coscarelli ("Phantasm," "The Beastmaster"), Joe Dante ("The Howling," "Gremlins"), Mick Garris ("Riding the Bullet," "The Stand"), Stuart Gordon ("Re-Animator"), John Landis ("An American Werewolf in London"), Tobe Hooper ("Texas Chainsaw Massacre," "Poltergeist") and George Romero ("Night of the Living Dead") for a minimum of 13 one-hour films.

While some of the masters will be directing from their own screenplays, an equally impressive roster of writers will be contributing to the anthology, including Richard C. Matheson ("Tales from the Crypt"); celebrated horror comic book creator Steve Niles ("30 Days of Night," "Aleister Arcane"); noted horror writer David Schow ("A Nightmare on Elm Street 5"); Michael Brandt & Derek Haas ("2 Fast 2 Furious"); and renowned horror screenwriters Lawrence D. Cohen ("Carrie," Stephen King's "It") and Matt Greenberg ("1408").

Premiers Friday, October 28th 10 PM.

Also, Monsters HD will be offering its viewers access to the party that everyone is dying to attend, “Playboy’s Halloween Spooktacular”. Halloween weekend 2005 will get super sexy on Monsters HD, a VOOM HD channel available on Dish Network. Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, is the hostess for an exclusive high definition original production that, for the first time ever, takes viewers into the party all of Hollywood is dying to get into… PLAYBOY’S HALLOWEEN SPOOKTACULAR, the monster bash at Hugh M. Hefner’s six-acre estate in Holmby Hills. The hour long special, filmed at the Playboy mansion, premieres Monday, October 31 at 1:15 a.m. with an encore at 10:45 p.m.

Source

P.S. Scott beat me to it.

If it is a repeat of last years then its ok to me as I missed it last year.

Did anyone see it last year? How was it?

Making any comparison between AMC and MonstersHD is silly. AMC has commercials, isn't HD, generally runs pan&scan movies, and SEVERELY edits their movies. Monsters HD is DEVOTED to horror films. I have no idea why anyone would waste their time watching AMC. Granted, MonstersHD would benefit GREATLY from new titles.

Regarding the Playboy Halloween special, if it's anything like last year, it will be a big yawn. It's a party with naked or nearly-naked breast-augmented airheads. If that's your thing, enjoy.

The Horror Channel is rumored to launch on October 28th on DISH and DirecTV... so Monsters HD better get their ass in gear unless they want to get spanked.

I've been following progress on the Horror Channel since May of last year, and it looks like they are going right for the knockout punch from day 1. The mods over at their message board claim that they will be in a league all of their own when they hit the airwaves, without constant recycled programming, and new and original content created exclusively for the channel ( can you say indie films? ).

Except that the Horror Channel is not High Definitioin. I rather watch DVDs than SD channels.

Sean Mota said:
Except that the Horror Channel is not High Definitioin. I rather watch DVDs than SD channels.
Absolutely true.

I talked with one of the mods over at their website yesterday and he said that the Horror Channel would be going HD at some point in the near future. Don't know if he means by the end of the year, or sometime in 2007... but it's nice to know that they at least are headed that direction

Here is the lineup leading up to Holloween from Monsters HD. If you have not see these movies, it will be a feast for you. If you have already seen them in HD, it will be a boring weekend.

Friday, October 28th

Friday the 13th *+ (1980, Horror)
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter * (1984, Horror)
Friday the 13th, Part V: A New Beginning * (1985, Horror)
Friday the 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives * (1986, Horror)
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood *+ (1988, Horror)
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday *+ (1993, Horror)

Saturday, October 29th

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master ** (1988, Horror)
Scream 2 **+ (1997, Horror)
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers ** (1988, Horror)
Halloween 5 *+ (1989, Horror)
Hellraiser **+ (1987, Horror)
Hellbound: Hellraiser II *+ (1988, Horror)

Sunday, October 30th

Wishmaster *+ (1997, Horror)
Leprechaun 3 * (1995, Horror)
Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh ** (1995, Horror)
Madman ** (1982, Horror)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre *** (1974, Horror)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Part 2 * (1986, Horror)
Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III * (1990, Horror)
Monsters of Gore (Special)
Playboy Halloween Spooktacular (Special) TVMA

Monday, October 31st

Friday the 13th, Part V: A New Beginning * (1985, Horror)
Friday the 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives * (1986, Horror)
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood *+ (1988, Horror)
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday *+ (1993, Horror)
Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh ** (1995, Horror)
Madman ** (1982, Horror)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre *** (1974, Horror)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Part 2 * (1986, Horror)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master ** (1988, Horror)
Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III * (1990, Horror)
Monsters of Gore (Special)
Playboy Halloween Spooktacular (Special) TVMA
Night of the Demons * (1988, Horror)
Slumber Party Massacre *+ (1982, Horror)
The Horror of Party Beach * (1964, Horror)
Mad Monster Party ** (1967, Children's)

Tuesday, November 1st

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad ***+ (1958)
Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996, Horror)
Parasite * (1982, SciFi)
Raw Meat *+ (1972, Horror)​

They should have a "Fantasy Marathon" with Clash of the Titans, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger and Willow

I'd stay in to watch that