Is the new MPEG4 HD DVR for DirecTV out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pintnight

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
I've tried searching but there's so many topic on MPEG4. So, did DirecTV ever released the HD DVR that does MPEG4? I'm in Dallas- Ft. Worth.

Not yet.

And the release date is up in the air as well. A couple of weeks ago on an analyst call, D* said mid-2006. But a large online retailer posted it had been moved back to November 2006.:(

IMHO, it make little sense to offer HD-LIL's with no HD-DVR.:confused:

herdfan said:
Not yet.

And the release date is up in the air as well. A couple of weeks ago on an analyst call, D* said mid-2006. But a large online retailer posted it had been moved back to November 2006.:(

IMHO, it make little sense to offer HD-LIL's with no HD-DVR.:confused:
That sucks since I kept hearing that it was going to be released about now. Oh well, I'll just keep using my trusty Sony SAT-HD300 with crappy recording of HD shows on Tivo (actually, Tivo's recording of other stations isn't all that great either).

pintnight said:
That sucks since I kept hearing that it was going to be released about now.

The earliest release info I have always read has been Summer 2006 (aka Q3) which is until 8/30/2006.

herdfan said:
IMHO, it make little sense to offer HD-LIL's with no HD-DVR?

I would also like a quality HD DVR, but the vast majority of users just want TV provided, they do not care about extras yet.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
I would also like a quality HD DVR, but the vast majority of users just want TV provided, they do not care about extras yet.
I really don't care about the extras. On occasion I use the Wishlists on my TiVo. Other than that, I don't use any of the added "features."

To me a good DVR is one that records all the shows you want either by individual recording or Season Pass every time. If a DVR does that, then I will be happy.

Oh, and it has to be able to FF through commercials.:D

herdfan said:
I really don't care about the extras. On occasion I use the Wishlists on my TiVo. Other than that, I don't use any of the added "features."

To me a good DVR is one that records all the shows you want either by individual recording or Season Pass every time. If a DVR does that, then I will be happy.

Oh, and it has to be able to FF through commercials.:D
I don't care for the wishlist. When I first got my Tivo and notice all those other shows that was recorded that I had no desire to watch them. I when in the settings and told Tivo to stop doing the wishlist.

best buy had a full page ad in the pittsburgh post gazette today, the sale price for the MPEG4 hd-dvr (directv branded) was $399 and said $200 BB rebate. i just got back from a cook-out, hell i figured the posts would be full by now. but maybe is the burgh a test market?

slimoli said:
Most likely it's just the SD MPEG4 DVR , not the HD.

From what I have seen, there currently is no SD MPEG4 DVR.

dragon002 said:
best buy had a full page ad in the pittsburgh post gazette today, the sale price for the MPEG4 hd-dvr (directv branded) was $399 and said $200 BB rebate. i just got back from a cook-out, hell i figured the posts would be full by now. but maybe is the burgh a test market?

A scan of the add would sure be nice to see.

vurbano said:
LMAO no such thing. They would have to upgrade every box for every subscriber if they went mpeg4 for SD. :rolleyes:

While you are likely correct, your logic and sarcasm are without proper foundation

So called MPEG4 boxes are actually MPEG4 and MPEG2 boxes and will allow a user to continue to receive all of the existing MPEG2 channels. This will permit a gradual phasing in of MPEG4 programming. Likely this will mean that new programming will be MPEG4 thus not requiring "every box for every subscriber" to be upgraded... but providing an incentive to do so. Providing the HD locals in MPEG4 is a perfect example. :rolleyes:

SaltiDawg said:
While you are likely correct, your logic and sarcasm are without proper foundation

So called MPEG4 boxes are actually MPEG4 and MPEG2 boxes and will allow a user to continue to receive all of the existing MPEG2 channels. This will permit a gradual phasing in of MPEG4 programming. Likely this will mean that new programming will be MPEG4 thus not requiring "every box for every subscriber" to be upgraded... but providing an incentive to do so. Providing the HD locals in MPEG4 is a perfect example. :rolleyes:

If all SD locals were to be made MPEG4 only then every existing mpeg2 box, which is the vast majority of all of D*'s customers would have to be upgraded to mpeg4 boxes. Mpeg2 boxes will not decode mpeg4. I agree that mpeg4 boxes decode mpeg2, I think every HD customer knows that. The existing mpeg4 customers are a tiny drop in the Ocean at this time. Im not sure how many customers D* has, but if its 15 million then Id guess youd need 13 million times about 4 boxes per household inorder to eliminate mpeg2 SD locals. NOT going to happen, the cost would just be too high. And I dont think SD customers will agree to pay for new boxes. There would be massive Churn.

Last edited:
herdfan said:
Alaska and Hawaii.

Only because Bush signed into law legislation demanding they serve them with locals. I guess D* decided just to eat the cost of the HD recievers and forego Mpeg2 spotbeams for those two isolated states.

vurbano said:
If all SD locals were to be made MPEG4 only then every existing mpeg2 box, which is the vast majority of all of D*'s customers would have to be upgraded to mpeg4 boxes...

Go back and re-read. I said "Providing the HD locals in MPEG4 is a perfect example. "

HD

By bringing the HD Sat locals on-line as MPEG4 that will provide incentive to some subscribers to upgrade, and the continued availabilty of SD sat locals in MPEG2 will not make that vast number of receivers out there obsolete.

In other words, as time goes on E* will make all NEW HD contact available in MPEG4 only. Sooner or later, most everyone will see enough content only available in MPEG4 to reach the tipping point and decide to upgrade to MPEG4. and nobody's receiver for which they paid good money will become a total doorstop.

Actually seems a pretty good and fair approach.

SaltiDawg said:
Go back and re-read. I said "Providing the HD locals in MPEG4 is a perfect example. "

HD

By bringing the HD Sat locals on-line as MPEG4 that will provide incentive to some subscribers to upgrade, and the continued availabilty of SD sat locals in MPEG2 will not make that vast number of receivers out there obsolete.

In other words, as time goes on E* will make all NEW HD contact available in MPEG4 only. Sooner or later, most everyone will see enough content only available in MPEG4 to reach the tipping point and decide to upgrade to MPEG4. and nobody's receiver for which they paid good money will become a total doorstop.

Actually seems a pretty good and fair approach.

If you re read my original post you will see I was reffering only to SD. But what do you mean by this?:

Sooner or later, most everyone will see enough content only available in MPEG4 to reach the tipping point and decide to upgrade to MPEG4. and nobody's receiver for which they paid good money will become a total doorstop.

If you are reffering to HD customers only, then I agree. Eventually all HD customers will upgrade to mpeg4 either for new channels or PQ. But I dont see SD customers going to mpeg4 and they are 99% of the customer base. As I said before they would have to upgrade every box for every SD subscriber if they went mpeg4 for SD.

Last edited:
I will just add to the rumor mill...When I was speaking to directv about a question I had and then asked about the New HD DVR....He said maybe June....So add that to the thousands of possible release dates!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)