Is there any HDTV Left?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bmcglynn

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
Ottawa, ON
As I get ready to illuminate my 4DTV receiver, I see the list of HDTV signals dwindleing. I am at the point of deciding whether or not to even bother with 4DTV and focus instead on FTA channels on my new C-Band setup.

What channels does the 4DTV pick up (with HDD-200)?

Brian

From what I last heard, there is only the Discovery channel. Everything else is no longer available to 4DTV. Most of FTA HD is better anyway, but you're limited to what is in the clear. If you want specific selections the next best satellite HD available in Canada or the US are currently Shaw Direct's offerings.

There are those who want to believe that 4DTV SD is of better quality than subscription-based HD (or HD-lite), but frankly objective measurements and subjective assessments on a frame-to-frame basis normally prove otherwise.

PBS HD is on T4 free. SD masters on the 4DTV especially certain ones look better than HD lite offerings with services like Dish network. I don't care what the meters or measurements may say, my eyes don't lie, I'm very finicky. Case in point, SD Broadcast masters on 4DTV have very little or no digital artifacts. HD lite always is associated with digital artifacts and a soft picture.

For those who think other. Next time the ABC/Disney master mux is open on the 4DTV compare that to pizza's HD lite and be ready to get blown away by the 4DTV SD master.

PBS HD is on T4 free. SD masters on the 4DTV especially certain ones look better than HD lite offerings with services like Dish network. I don't care what the meters or measurements may say, my eyes don't lie, I'm very finicky. Case in point, SD Broadcast masters on 4DTV have very little or no digital artifacts. HD lite always is associated with digital artifacts and a soft picture.

For those who think other. Next time the ABC/Disney master mux is open on the 4DTV compare that to pizza's HD lite and be ready to get blown away by the 4DTV SD master.

? What are "SD masters" ?? I thought that perhaps "SD" referred to Shaw Direct, but according to Lyngsat, it looks like all their HD seems to be in 8PSK, and I don't have a clue of how to receive 8PSK DCII. Ie I can do DCII and some versions of 8PSK but don't know how to do 8PSK DCII. Also, I was under the impression that you 4DTV people tried to avoid the Canadian sats. So I'm assuming that SD must refer to something other than Shaw. Anyway, what are SD masters?

However relative to what you refer to as HD lite, I've seen some DN channels that are definately not "lite" anymore. DN seems to have an extremely wide spectrum with respect to quality. I have seen bitrates of DN mpeg4 HD channels that range from less than 1 mbps all the way up to around 13 mbps. The 13 mbps, while not as good as the network sat feeds, is better than the OTA network feeds, and as good or better than the PBS HD. But yeah, most of the DN HD is quite "lite" . I wish that the HD stuff on Nimiq would go FTA occasionally like DN sometimes does, because the Canadian HD seems to be fairly good quality, at least based on the quality of their DEMO channel. But even though I used to find things FTA back when everything was SD, it seems like since they went HD on the 82 sat that the only thing FTA there is the audio. :mad:.

SD Masters are Standard Definition Master broadcast feeds, first generation. Some DC2 SD Masters (4DTV) are eye candy as some DVB are. Shaw tends to have good results since they are uplinking some masters for Cancom.

I heard the Bell stuff SD stuff is not very good. I don't know about the HD, but it is called Bell CompressView. :) Maybe someone from Canada can comment on Bell's HD.

SD Masters are Standard Definition Master broadcast feeds, first generation. Some DC2 SD Masters (4DTV) are eye candy as some DVB are. ...

Oh... OK. I was confused thinking you were talking about HD, so my mind threw out the normal use of "SD", so I was trying to think of some other use of the "SD" abbrev.

I think tvropro and I have basically agreed to disagree about 4DTV SD vs. pizza dish HD. I am no fan of pizza dish HD-lite and have been searching for better solutions for quite some time. In that regard I have spent considerable thought and effort in determining how to rank the possibilities, both objectively and subjectively.

I too have well-trained eyes and ears, having worked off-and-on in the broadcast and studio worlds since the mid-1970s. I have seen some of the finest SD and HD masters available, and have tried to get as close to this at home, although that is difficult. Over time one gets very good at detecting faults in the broadcast chain with only these tools, especially over-compression. However it can be difficult to objectively compare different systems only with one's senses, particularly when the source material is not the same, or not from the same source.

I believe it is also useful to quantitatively understand how a system works and how this affects the video and audio. When something changes over time, objective measurements often spot it first and give a quick assessment of the best methods for subjective comparison. Thus I evaluated several different forms of satellite delivery systems both with my eyes/ears and with direct measurements. They nearly always agreed.

As I indicated above, I'm nervous about drawing too many conclusions from subjective observations over time on different equipment and with different source material. I'm sure tvropro has seen many examples of pizza dish HD-lite, but is very proud that he doesn't subscribe to these services. On the other hand I have run my FTA and OTA systems in parallel with 4DTV, Dish and Shaw subscriptions at the same time. In addition I have collected the original transport streams from each of these services for both subjective and objective comparisons. FTA/OTA is easy, but I have installed R5000 mods in my 4DTV, Dish and Shaw receivers, making the original data available for these sources also.

The most interesting results are when I am able to collect transport streams from two or more delivery systems that are sourced from one or another. An example would be an OTA broadcast derived from a FTA network feed. This will show losses introduced by the broadcast station. Another example would be DN vs. the original 4DTV or FTA feed. I have spent a lot of time on this, particularly when HBO and STARZ had both HD and SD available on the 4DTV side. But occasionally a DVB-S or S2 master feed will go in the clear and I have been lucky to make a number of simultaneous recordings of the TS for both Dish and the originals. Comparing Shaw is harder because I haven't been able to trace back to their sources. However I do have a number of TS recordings of the same material that aired at a different time in the States, whether FTA, 4DTV or DN. This is useful, but not as ideal as the direct comparisons.

With the TS I can loop segments of video/audio that are exactly the same frames from different providers. I can go frame-to-frame and compare pixel-to-pixel, both with eyes and numerical comparisons. The differences are not small, and one doesn't need to spend much time making fine distinctions. Quality varies all over the map.

The FTA 30+ Mbps HD feeds are absolutely gorgeous, often with negligible artifacts. I found 4DTV HD in its heyday to be pretty good, but definitely a step down. One does have to recognize that what was available by subscription was hard-limited by 4DTV's obsolete receiver technology to less than 30 Mbps per channel. While I couldn't compare them directly on the same material, it was clear the 4DTV HBO HD was noticeably better than 4DTV STARZ HD. HBO's data rates were not coincidentally higher.

Shaw HD is a mixed bag. I have seen Shaw provide better HD and higher rates at times than any 4DTV HD TS from either HBO or STARZ, from the same source material. But normally Shaw is lower in their rates, and this leads to a slightly lower perception of quality. I do believe Shaw has their compressors adjusted to heap on a lot of bits when needed, and this can lead to fewer artifacts than I saw in the same scenes on 4DTV HD. In the end I would rank Shaw HD in between the no longer available HBO and STARZ on 4DTV.

There is no question that Dish HD-lite ranks lower overall. A fair amount of their HD material is bit-starved, but this is not universal. Some channels apparently receive a higher bit-budget than others, and when there is less load from the temporary channels, the rates and perceived quality can get very good. On average it is middling. One does have to account for the fact that Dish invariably delivers HD as anamorphic 1440x1080i. That and over-compression softens the image.

Out of morbid curiosity I recorded a few 4DTV SD streams on HBO, STARZ and a couple of others to compare against the same 4DTV and DN HD material. The 4DTV SD was very smooth looking, had nice colors and few artifacts. But it was TERRIBLY soft compared to any HD or HD-lite. The video seemed analogous to listening to an audio recording from the 1930s. One could enjoy the content, but technically it was simply inferior.

I have done no formal comparisons of Shaw or DN SD. Shaw SD seems a little lower in perceived quality than 4DTV SD, but not too bad. I'm set up for both the western and eastern arcs on DN, but mostly stay on the west. DN SD on the WA is simply awful.

I have not had a chance to compare DirecTV or Bell. Anecdotally the fights on Satguys never seem to yield a victory for either DN or DTV on PQ. They are likely equally mediocre. The same does not seem to be the case for Shaw vs. Bell. Bell uses DN technology and apparently squeezes even more channels per TP MHz than DN does. It is also my understanding that Bell HD is only 720p. I have found few Canadians that disagree with the assertion that if you want numbers you go to Bell, but if you want quality you go to Shaw.

To summarize I am providing a rough ranking order of satellite providers from my subjective eye/ear evaluations, that invariably correlate with objective measurements. No doubt this is entirely dependent on the quality of the source material and the effort placed by the provider. One can find examples that contradict the rankings, but these are more the exceptions than the rules. Most of the sources are MPEG2 and I have given very rough guidelines of the rates I have measured.

1. FTA HD, 30+ Mbps
2. FTA HD, 20-30 Mbps
3. 4DTV HBO HD, ~15-20 Mbps - no longer available by subscription
4. Shaw HD, 10-24 Mbps - always the same channels
5. FTA HD, 12-20 Mbps
6. 4DTV STARZ HD, ~10-15 Mbps - no longer available by subscription
7. DN HD, 6-10 Mbps (H.264) - not common and only on certain channels
8. Shaw HD, 6-10 Mpbs - always the same channels
9. DN HD, 3-6 Mbps (H.264) - the vast majority
10. FTA SD and 4DTV SD - virtual tie
11. Shaw SD
12. DN SD - the goon award

Based on comments from others, I would assume DTV is on par with DN and Bell HD would rank below the lowest DN HD. OTA is hard to place, partly because more and more stations here are adding sub-channels. I don't really watch it anymore.

If you ever get the chance to look at Disney and ABC Family 4DTV SD on G-14 when ITC see what results you get with test equipment. To me that has got to be some of the best digital SD I ever saw on the 4DTV. They run normally 2 active channels and a static set of color bars in that mux. They have plenty of bandwidth. To put it plain & simple they look better than HBO SD does on G-12. I would have to think they are running at least 9 Mbps per channel.

Disney and ABC Family are certainly generous with bit rates on both SD and HD on G-14. I would especially like to grab the HD versions which look to be running at 16+ Mbps in H.264 over DVB-S2. I haven't dumped my 4DTV stuff yet, but it got shelved when I moved the R5000s to my Shaw receivers.

Shaw is inconsistent with HD compression, and they uplink a fair amount of transport stream glitches. But they have the only decent HD I can subscribe to over satellite. DN normally uplinks very clean transport streams, but trying to get HD programming from them at useful rates is like playing roulette.

TSReader is showing four channels in the Disney mux. Each channel at 6.14 Mbps. The bit rate appears to be fixed on all channels. Two are FP and showing color bars. I'm thinking that all are color bars at this time. Is Disney East and Family East still available for 4dtv subscription? I don't think so.

SD masters, LOL. Hilarious how thats keeps the 4DTV subs alive.

i personally have not compared dish or direct vs 4dtv lately. I know as it used to be...4dtv killed the pizza dish in pic quality SD vs SD. Now i have seen some HD lite in the past on pizza dishes that looked no better than a 480 image upscaled and maybe that is what they were doing then. i know for SD rebroadcasts the w5 hits feeds for the most part don't look bad.

I have not seen pizza HD for over a year...maybe they improved the overcompressed signals.
i know that pizza providers have launched more satellites. I personally do prefer at this point 4dtv since there are no lengthy contracts, they don't need your credit card on file to have an account, etc. Lots of HD feeds on FTA and OTA with an antenna. I am happy with that.

TSReader is showing four channels in the Disney mux. Each channel at 6.14 Mbps. The bit rate appears to be fixed on all channels. Two are FP and showing color bars. I'm thinking that all are color bars at this time. Is Disney East and Family East still available for 4dtv subscription? I don't think so.

There used to be 3 channels in the mux and only one set of color bars. Since the G-15 blowout they added the second set of colorbars and was running ABC Family and Disney west on the 3rd and 4th channel. They were all encrypted for a few weeks then went back to color bars in FP on the other two. I figure they went back to using the combo feed on now G-12 for the west coast feeds again.

They are not available for subscription and that's a shame since they are excellent. It's a treat to watch when they go ITC :)

Here is a picture I took off the Aquos with my camera:

http://www.themusicworkshopchicago.com/satellite/31.jpg

Notice the lack of mosquito noise around the images.

I'd rather watch a clean SD picture in smart stretch mode (AOUOS), than a HD one full of artifacts just because they call it HD.

Last edited:
I personally do prefer at this point 4dtv since there are no lengthy contracts, they don't need your credit card on file to have an account, etc. Lots of HD feeds on FTA and OTA with an antenna. I am happy with that.

I agree on all points.

SD masters, LOL. Hilarious how thats keeps the 4DTV subs alive.

Have you ever seen a good 1st gen 4DTV SD master (Like Disney)? If you never did you really need to see it coming out a 922 using S video. It's as close to clean HD as it can get being SD. Like I said in my other post I rather watch a clean SD feed than a HD channel with macroblocking and mosquito noise just because they say it's HD. HD butchered being short on bits can look quite awful.

There are some good comments and comparisons here. From my own review of DN, Bell, and other feeds, I will have to settle with DN for HD over 4DTV SD. While the SD clearly will have fewer artifacts, it lacks the resolution and my TV set will introduce its own artifacts when contorting the SD signal to fit in the screen.

Very disappointing for HBO, and Showtime to have dropped their 4DTV HD offerings. I wonder if this is a technology-upgrade compatibility issue where they upgraded the streams to H.264? The studio-quality signals on PBS and other networks that are in the clear are absolutely magnificent - and I would be willing to shell out the extra $$$ to have that sort of quality (that is why I erected a C band dish in the yard).

With the number of enthusiasts and audio/videofiles out there, it seems that there would be a business case to offer an upgrade to 4DTV to cover the new HD formats.

Sad to say but it looks like my 4DTV will be a dust magnet, and my AzBox will drive the C-Band setup for network feeds.

Brian

TWhile the SD clearly will have fewer artifacts, it lacks the resolution and my TV set will introduce its own artifacts when contorting the SD signal to fit in the screen.

Brian

I have to admit the scaler in my AQUOS is excellent. When I stretch a 4DTV SD master to full size it looks very good. I think it has to do with the source being so clean. When I subbed to the G3 channels from NPS they looked worse than worse when you stretched them. Some tv's upscale SD better than others. Being a 480i clean signal to 1080p on my panel it's quite impressive to say the least considering all the processing going on in the tv.

I saw Direct tv's HD on this same tv I bought in the store. Got a smokin deal on the floor model :D. When I got home Disney was ITC. When I hooked up the 922 I was floored to see that the SD looked better than the pizza HD I saw on the same tv a few hours earlier.

I can not tell how Bell Expressvu HD is but i will tell you there SD sucks, and so does their programming. What i watched last year on my 4DTV , they (Bell) are saying is all new shows (year behind US programming) i only use Bell for my local news and a few shows that the wife likes. May be time to look at Shaw

I'll just say this. HD is way better than SD. Regardless of the source.
And with my equipment here, I've seen it all at one time or another. One thing I have noticed lately, is more SD (480) wild feeds are in the correct 16:9 aspect ratio. This type of SD is actually fairly good.

I have pizza now, although my 4DTV stays subbed.

The way i jude this is simple, artifacts, mosquito noise, is all unacceptable - TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

HD channels I which now have from pizza still has this crap - it is so annoying.

So yes, I would rather watch SD without noise than HD with noise.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)