Is this a good combo?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Yesterday I was browsing the local Circuit City for some good fire sale deals, and I found an open box deal on this receiver:

STR-DG820 | Home Theater A/V Receiver (7.1 Channel) | Sony | SonyStyle USA

It was reduced down to $329 (+ Tax) and I have until Jan 31st to return it. I was thinking about then adding on a Yambeka 7 speaker system. I'm obviously somewhat budget conscious, but I also don't want to sacrifice too much quality as a result. Think it's worth going for?

Does CC still do online price-matching?

Sony | STR-DG820 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver | STR-DG820
Here it is for under $300, and B&H is a reputable online retailer.
I'm not sure if it qualifies. It's an online store.. and according to CC.com..

Q: Does Circuit City match the prices of other Internet retailers?
A: No, because many Internet retailers are not authorized sellers, we do not match online prices.

And when I consider the shipping/tax costs, I'm maybe saving $20, and if I don't like this one I'd have to mail it back to the guys, instead of just bringing it back to a CC store.

Regardless though, do you think this is a good receiver to match with those speakers?

B&H actually has a huge store in New York, if you want to split hairs with CC. They are authorized to sell a lot of electronics. I always forget to include shipping, so good point. Either way, I do have an older Sony 5.1 receiver and I still use it around the house even though I've upgraded for the theater.

I really don't know if it's a match for those speakers as I have no experience with Yambeka. I use Paradigm, Triad, and Sonance in my theater and am now building my own speakers from kits using top-notch drivers.

It's easy enough to sell yourself on something and I'm sure this will be a fine combination after you properly adjust speaker levels. Good luck!

Upon further review and examining of my new apartment, I have decided to return the receiver and keep using my trusty HTIB setup.

Given the following conditions:

-Open apartment setup, meaning that probably EVERYONE will be able to hear what's going on.

-Inability to truly unleash volume power given the noise ordinance rules and upstairs neighbors.

-Only being able to take true advantage of new codecs on BD movies, which takes up maybe 10% of my entertainment time.

I figure with all of this, it doesn't mean sense to spend $600-$800 on a system I can't even take full advantage of. It's like buying a fast new corvette and only driving around downtown Manhattan. It may look nice, but you're never going to really experience all it can do.

Of course, if something were to happen to my system and I need a new audio setup, I may be back here looking for advice here sooner rather than later. I'm not going to be playing Gears of War 2 or watching Blade Runner with audio coming from my Panny Plasma.

Upon further review and examining of my new apartment, I have decided to return the receiver and keep using my trusty HTIB setup.

Given the following conditions:

-Open apartment setup, meaning that probably EVERYONE will be able to hear what's going on.

-Inability to truly unleash volume power given the noise ordinance rules and upstairs neighbors.

-Only being able to take true advantage of new codecs on BD movies, which takes up maybe 10% of my entertainment time.

I figure with all of this, it doesn't mean sense to spend $600-$800 on a system I can't even take full advantage of. It's like buying a fast new corvette and only driving around downtown Manhattan. It may look nice, but you're never going to really experience all it can do.

Of course, if something were to happen to my system and I need a new audio setup, I may be back here looking for advice here sooner rather than later. I'm not going to be playing Gears of War 2 or watching Blade Runner with audio coming from my Panny Plasma.

Very well thought out and wise decision based on your current environment! WELL DONE!

An interesting post-script to this,

I went over to the same Circuit City where I bought this receiver to get a new TV entertainment stand, and I saw the same receiver back on the "Sales" table. I went over to look at it, and I saw that they RAISED the price to $429. That's the price for a brand new one. Maybe when electronics are in my presence they appreciate in value, like Ferraris do. Can't imagine a store with moves like that is having financial problems. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts