ISF Calibration for DBS?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bobj2004

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
Like in the other Post about calirating for HDTV and DVD, this post is for DBS

Dishnetwork or Direct TV SD Channels.

How do you calibrate the TV to get the best picture?

If you calibrate using Digitals Videos Esent, or Avia you get calibration for your DVD player only.

On most TVs the different types of connectors Componet -vrs- SVideo need a different calibration.

Any Hints or Ideas?

What have past experts done to your TVs when they came out and calibrated? Did you DBS SD channels look any better?

You might feed your calibration disk through your svideo and rca video feeds. This might help your standard def channels.

Run Avia or VE thru the same input you are using for DBS as Nuts4scuba said.

If your are running RPTV, find out how to do a service level convergence or have someone come and do it for you.

A full ISF will do all input modes - these guys are not cheap, but what they know can do amazing things.

What I have done is run the DVD player through the same input that I would use for the SAT. I would then adjust to fit my eye after that. Most times it is not that much different than the settings for HD or DVD..

What about TVs with multiple settings.

Like my Sony 65"

It has Movie, Pro, Standard , and Vivid.

Most of the time when the Dish SD channel is looking poor, I switchc it to Vivid mode and it looks almost DVD quality.

I hear that Vivid mode has all kinds of artificial enhancements turn on.

These enhancements are never tweaked when doing Avia or DVE, they are all turned off, but DBS seems to benefit from them when the picture is poor.

Any ideas on standands or what should be tweaked for DBS in relation to these enhancement settings?

I thought that running AVIA or Video Essentials that I had tweeked my TV the best it could look, that was until I took the plunge and had my set professionally by Gregg Loewen.

I was shocked at all the work Gregg did above and beyond just tweeking the brightness and contrast. Greg also focused the lenses, restacked my screen, cleaned the mirrors etc.

Once he was done I was amazed how better everything looked, and again I thought I had a perfect picture already by doing it myself... boy was i wrong!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)