Issues and questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

McGuyver

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Nuclear Testing Grounds
I'm fairly new to the FTA satellite hobby although I've owned a fixed mount 90CM KTI dish and "Manhattan Skyline 1000" receiver for about 4 years now to pick up my Adventist programming but now I see other interests in FTA channels such as PBS, etc. I just purchased another receiver "Captive Works 600S Premium," a "DS-GEO 90CM Dish" and a "Stab HH120" rotor for toying around.

One thing I noticed about the set up is that it's been very difficult to get focused on the Clark belt which I haven't sucessfully done yet, my longitude is 117.8*W and I've tried to focus on 116.8*W "Sat Mex 5" but can't find it......arg! I was able to tune in on AMC4 (my usual sat) but no others yet, I know that it will take more patience and time, hopefully I'll get it soon. I've set the HH120 elevation to my Latitude of 35.6*N and with a compass, pointed as close to magnetic south as possible according to instructions. BTY, the mount is perfectly plumb.

My question for you all is; what is "Blind Scan"? How would it be used in my new set up with a HH120 motor?

The "CW 600S Premium" has this "Blind Scan" feature and also the ability of identifying the satellite at which I am focused on, this I like because I know for sure if I'm aiming at the right bird. During the dish/motor tuning proceedure I noticed many times that I was picking up a signal while seeking AMC3 or other birds but the CW receiver was saying: "unknown satellite found" and so I'm assuming that I wasn't focused on the particular bird I've chosen but another in close proximity. Did I assume right?

Thanks for any input and/or suggestions you may offer.

One thing I noticed about the set up is that it's been very difficult to get focused on the Clark belt which I haven't sucessfully done yet, my longitude is 117.8*W and I've tried to focus on 116.8*W "Sat Mex 5" but can't find it......arg!
Satmex5 is tough as alot of the channels are weaker depending on location

My question for you all is; what is "Blind Scan"? How would it be used in my new set up with a HH120 motor?
blind scan allows the box to find any transponder info wherever you are. It finds those feeds or in the case of setting up a dish, gives you frequencies so you can see where you are. I had the same issue when aiming a motorized setup. Thought I was on my true south but after a blind scan found out I was 5 degrees off :)
The "CW 600S Premium" has this "Blind Scan" feature and also the ability of identifying the satellite at which I am focused on, this I like because I know for sure if I'm aiming at the right bird. During the dish/motor tuning proceedure I noticed many times that I was picking up a signal while seeking AMC3 or other birds but the CW receiver was saying: "unknown satellite found" and so I'm assuming that I wasn't focused on the particular bird I've chosen but another in close proximity. Did I assume right?
my CW600 has the same thing but other than a DBS satellite, I coudlnt get it to work much. When I had the dish at G10, it says "unknown"...when I was at IA6 on UNiversity Network, it did acknowledge that. So I think there is something int he signal sent out that tells you that.

Thanks for any input and/or suggestions you may offer.[/QUOTE]

Still a bit confused

Thanks Iceberg for your quick and informative reply, I personally am not very impressed with the CW600S as it cannot keep time, it lost about 8 minutes overnight, the menu screen gliches and it even lost all audio after editing unwanted channels, I had to power down and reboot to regain audio.

The thing that I'm not clear on is the blind scan issue, does the blind scan pan the belt for any TP's of any sat? I suppose the elevation setting of the dish and motor must be fairly accurate for it to see any TP's, is this correct? Can you please explain further?

One more thing, which sat would be best for the initial pointing proceedure besides Satmex5 that I can find a signal or would the blind scan work for this proceedure?

Thanks for your help!!! Greatly appreciated!

McGuyver -
The blind scan only scans the current satellite. I too had thought maybe it swept the clarke belt before I got into this hobby further. However, the blind scan simply scans the biggest possible array of frequencies (not just the standard/set ones) available for your lnbf and identifies all channels that it finds. (maybe someone will pipe in with a more technical explaination, but that's the basic)

As for SatMex5 being weak, you may want to pick another sat close to your true south. Then use ULAS positioning in your satellite options to move your motor to that position. Then you know that your motor is positioned at where that satellite "should" be given your long/lat location (as long as you've set your elevation correctly). Go to your dish and gently/slowly pan the whole setup (motor and dish) left and right a degree or so at a time in attempt to catch the signal from that satellite. If you find nothing, the adjust your elevation on your dish (no the motor) and try again.

That can be a slow and frustrating process depending on how far off you are on dish elevation and such, but it will work as long as you have your motor elevation right, your dish mounted on the motor's post correctly, and your pole exactly plumb.

Motor set up

McGuyver -
The blind scan only scans the current satellite. I too had thought maybe it swept the clarke belt before I got into this hobby further. However, the blind scan simply scans the biggest possible array of frequencies (not just the standard/set ones) available for your lnbf and identifies all channels that it finds. (maybe someone will pipe in with a more technical explaination, but that's the basic)

You've answered quite well, this means that it will find TP's that aren't already programmed in the receiver. thanks!

As for SatMex5 being weak, you may want to pick another sat close to your true south. Then use ULAS positioning in your satellite options to move your motor to that position. Then you know that your motor is positioned at where that satellite "should" be given your long/lat location (as long as you've set your elevation correctly). Go to your dish and gently/slowly pan the whole setup (motor and dish) left and right a degree or so at a time in attempt to catch the signal from that satellite. If you find nothing, the adjust your elevation on your dish (no the motor) and try again.

Then providing my elevation is set correctly, USALS will pan the belt and seek whatever it can? Am I close?:confused:

That can be a slow and frustrating process depending on how far off you are on dish elevation and such, but it will work as long as you have your motor elevation right, your dish mounted on the motor's post correctly, and your pole exactly plumb.

I learning the hard way....arg!!! :eek:

Thanks friend!

I'm still trying to figure out this quote stuff, forgive me!:confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)