Status
Please reply by conversation.

rickaren

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 7, 2004
IN
Realizing we all think of TV viewing differently and several posts that I have made others have replied with the comment "It is only TV!".

Well I was never a "007 Fan"or went to movies of James Bond when I was younger. Yes I do have a dedicated Home Theater and I enjoy good HD programing. When DISH announced the VOOM Filmfest HD JAMES BOND HD I thought that would be cool, but never thought myself and Wife would find these films so interesting. The cars of the day, the filming locations, and yes the women, too. We watched another two last night and have set-up the DVR to record two more. These films were really ahead of their times. It is a real pleasure to watch a movie that is over 30 years old shown in HD picture quality and sound. No way would these have been viewed here, in SD.

When I view programing this good with my Wife I become passionate about VOOM and DISH and our investment in HD. Why anyone would not want to experience all the best HD programing now instead of waiting till the fall of 2007for DirecTV to offer something as good or better, just dumbfounds me? WOW

"It's only TV", NO it was an event! Who says there is nothing on this Summer on TV?

FILMFEST HD: JAMES BOND HD
PREMIERES June 1 through 30 on DISH channel 9480
You’ve never seen Bond like you will this June on FILMFEST HD with the world high-definition premieres of 17 Bond classics. The cars are faster, the women are sexier, and the gadgets are sleeker. Titles include: Diamonds Are Forever (1971), Dr. No (1962), For Your Eyes Only (1981), From Russia With Love (1963), Goldfinger (1964), License to Kill (1989), Live and Let Die (1973), The Living Daylights (1987), The Man with the Golden Gun (1974), Moonraker (1979), Never Say Never Again (1983), Octopussy (1983), On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969), The Spy Who Loved Me (1977), Thunderball (1967), A View to a Kill (1985), You Only Live Twice (1968).

and you posted this in DirecTV HD Discussions because?....

I liked the Bond Filmfest as well, but I don't think the DirecTV folks like being preached to, just a fair warning before you get jumped on ;)

BFG said:

I liked the Bond Filmfest as well, but I don't think the DirecTV folks like being preached to, just a fair warning before you get jumped on ;)

Hi BFG! (and thanks for your involvement here)

I know it looks like I'm a trouble maker, but just want others to enjoy today what they may have to await another year to enjoy from DirecTV. Since I do subscribe to both it shouldn't be viewed as D* bashing, just my comparison and recommendations. Some will not see it that way, but if someone had not taken time to express their views on Home Theater equipment these past five years I would have made many more mistakes in purchasing. It is always easier to find someone posting a complaint and than being pleased with something and posting a positive comment.

I am a past City Council Member and those that attended these monthly meetings to express their views were usually remonstrators. Since they chose to attend did I use their views to determine my vote when 98% of the City residents did not. NO, not always. Lets face it people are just too busy these days to always get involved.

Thanks to all those that share their views, good and bad on DirecTV and DISH. Only this way can others make an educated decision on purchases of equipment and services.

If only one subscriber switches, (maybe they could just add it under the New Try It Free Deal) but sure their would be some out-of-pocket expenses knowing DISH, and then says WOW, I'm sure glad I did that, then that is why I posted my views here with the DirecTV folks, which I'm one, too.

Last edited:
BFG said:

I was about to say the same thing, until I read rickaren's next post.
I agree with him ...to a point.

My Q. to him is:
"Why DO you have D* service ?

You clearly like DISH better .... you mention it in every post.
If it were D* that you liked better, would you be posting this same type of info in the DISH forum, it the services were reversed ?

I'm not jumping on you, but you are playing both sides, trying to start issues.

Jimbo

Well I'm like most present DirecTV customers....I have spent a ton of money on Tivo DVRs (2-243 hour units,1 reg one, e-86 HD receiver, HD Tivo DVR, UTV and so on) and thought that the first of THIS year maybe I could have at least traded one 243 hr SD TiVo and the HD DVR in on the latest DIRECTV (MPEG4) DVRs at free or a great price, and really compare which service would be the best in the long run, and cancel the other. I was sure that leader was going to be D*. But now wait till the fall of 2007?

Now it is nice to record three OTA HD at the same time, something I couldn't do if I had only one VIP 622 DVR. Also I could not send programing from the HR10-250 to my other sets and this computer, as I do with the DISH VIP DVR and the SD Tivo DVR. So I presently have the best of both worlds, but that should be changing soon if D* & E* make good on their promises to network their DVRs and add other features. I have enough backup receivers/DVRs for DirecTV that I sure don't have to buy any equipment if I have a failure. That is one reason I still have their service, but never thought they would be so far behind DISH now, and for over another year remain that way? DISH has already said they plan to add more HD in addition to their present 29 HD channel offering this year! Looks like D* can't even get their new HD DVR to market. I am stuck like many hoping that DirecTV comes through soon, but not like most, since I'm enjoying HD today, thanks to DISH.

Some always wait for tomorrow (like my Brother) for their enjoyment, like a new car or that new TV or HD service. All I'm say if that fits you fine. But tomorrow may never come for you or your family. Enjoy today! If you have a HD set-up presently and if you use it daily you are missing out now by waiting till tomorrow that looks to be the fall of 2007! I'm done on this. (no one ever wants to know that they have made a bad decision, but sometimes they do want to know how to correct it) I'm one of those. Good Luck and enjoy whatever you take from this.

rickaren said:
Well I'm like most present DirecTV customers....I have spent a ton of money on Tivo DVRs (2-243 hour units,1 reg one, e-86 HD receiver, HD Tivo DVR, UTV and so on) and thought that the first of THIS year maybe I could have at least traded one 243 hr SD TiVo and the HD DVR in on the latest DIRECTV (MPEG4) DVRs at free or a great price, and really compare which service would be the best in the long run, and cancel the other. I was sure that leader was going to be D*. But now wait till the fall of 2007?

Now it is nice to record three OTA HD at the same time, something I couldn't do if I had only one VIP 622 DVR. Also I could not send programing from the HR10-250 to my other sets and this computer, as I do with the DISH VIP DVR and the SD Tivo DVR. So I presently have the best of both worlds, but that should be changing soon if D* & E* make good on their promises to network their DVRs and add other features. I have enough backup receivers/DVRs for DirecTV that I sure don't have to buy any equipment if I have a failure. That is one reason I still have their service, but never thought they would be so far behind DISH now, and for over another year remain that way? DISH has already said they plan to add more HD in addition to their present 29 HD channel offering this year! Looks like D* can't even get their new HD DVR to market. I am stuck like many hoping that DirecTV comes through soon, but not like most, since I'm enjoying HD today, thanks to DISH.

Some always wait for tomorrow (like my Brother) for their enjoyment, like a new car or that new TV or HD service. All I'm say if that fits you fine. But tomorrow may never come for you or your family. Enjoy today! If you have a HD set-up presently and if you use it daily you are missing out now by waiting till tomorrow that looks to be the fall of 2007! I'm done on this. (no one ever wants to know that they have made a bad decision, but sometimes they do want to know how to correct it) I'm one of those. Good Luck and enjoy whatever you take from this.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, I used that analogy when I purchased my HDTV. I said I COULD wait for another 6 months till the new TV's come out, or I could purchase what I did and enjoy it now instead of waiting for the new stuff.

My next HD TV will be in a few years, after I can save enough money to get what I would like.... It might not even be invented yet. With the advancements in HD TV, who knows, but I definatly will not try to keep up with all the new types, purchase wise, I will keep up on the technology end of it.

I know that my current 60" LCD doesn't have the looks of the newer TV's, but the HD picture looks great., perticularly right NOW.
I am not sure if it's because Roger Clemons was on the mound or not, but the ESPNHD I am watching is "STUNNING", like sitting in the stands.

Jimbo

rickaren said:

I hear ya, I'm also a firm believer in living for today, to a point. If you have the means, go for it. If I wasn't tied up into this 2yr. commitment I'll be jumping to DISH also. Can't afford to pay D* the money to switch.

If cable didn't have a monopoly and satellites didn't make us sign contracts. (most of the time) Rates would be cheaper and we would all be happy. Giving consumers the abilty to jump around month to month testing the waters.

Jimbos, not only is that Clemens on the mound, but Clemens getting lit up. I'd still like to have him back:D

vgsantiago said:
I hear ya, I'm also a firm believer in living for today, to a point. If you have the means, go for it. If I wasn't tied up into this 2yr. commitment I'll be jumping to DISH also. Can't afford to pay D* the money to switch.

If cable didn't have a monopoly and satellites didn't make us sign contracts. (most of the time) Rates would be cheaper and we would all be happy. Giving consumers the abilty to jump around month to month testing the waters.

Jimbos, not only is that Clemens on the mound, but Clemens getting lit up. I'd still like to have him back:D

I've always like Roger, even when he was a Yankee.........
I follow players more than teams anymore.

I actually was refering to the fabulous picture tonight on ESPN ....
It looked like TRUE HD, like it did last year during the Playoffs.

Jimbo

vgsantiago and Jimbos hit ithe nail on the head! I am not going switch because other factors like my whole family. My wife knows how to work the remote and the channel line-up. The kids too. We love HD and want more, but that would cost money and we are not willing to put forth the cash to switch. After finishing the basement and a brick paver patio well its time to save money again. Also we enjoy our three year old 61" DLP. I have two H20 receivers and two old receivers thru out the house and I have a good set-up. The second H20 is for the 52" RCA Crt in the basement. So yes I am happy with my TV's in the house and the kids like their sets. Neighborhood kids are jealous of the RCA in the basement with the PS2. Do I want more well of course I do, but I can wait too.

robbiee19 said:
vgsantiago and Jimbos hit ithe nail on the head! I am not going switch because other factors like my whole family. My wife knows how to work the remote and the channel line-up. The kids too. We love HD and want more, but that would cost money and we are not willing to put forth the cash to switch. After finishing the basement and a brick paver patio well its time to save money again. Also we enjoy our three year old 61" DLP. I have two H20 receivers and two old receivers thru out the house and I have a good set-up. The second H20 is for the 52" RCA Crt in the basement. So yes I am happy with my TV's in the house and the kids like their sets. Neighborhood kids are jealous of the RCA in the basement with the PS2. Do I want more well of course I do, but I can wait too.

I am with you Robbie just sit tight and the improvements and more channels will come 28 channels of HD they talk about at E* means nothing if the content is not important to you or some channels only have a few hours if that a day of HD programming and after a month its all the same repeat after repeat. I am happy with the HD choices right now with D* I have the locals the ESPN'S, TNT, HD Net and it sounds like the RSN'S may be comming soon also.
So I am happy as you can tell I am a sports fan, like I have said in past posts I am sticking with D* because I feel they will be the future and I can wait.

vgsantiago said:

Vgsantiago you wont get Yankee games on Dish either no YES network.

chazcbh said:
Vgsantiago you wont get Yankee games on Dish either no YES network.

I know, I always get that response when speaking of jumping ship. But truth is I seem to be too busy to try and watch every Yankee game. They're on enough with ESPN to satisfy my Yankee fix. Heck they play Boston 19 times, that's almost a guaranteed 19 games. Start time could be 6:00am, ESPN will get that game on the air.

It's Only TV!

vgsantiago said:

Didn't your read/understand your contract before going with D*?

Your last 2 sentences seem to betray your first 2 sentences. If you're really that unhappy, call D* and see what you can work out with them. At the very least they'll prorate your committment and make you pay only for the remaining months of your contract.

Of course, then you, Vurbano and others wouldn't have anything to gripe about!

Only problem is DTV can't deliver their products without hassle and a ton of BS, so if they can't deliver it too me they will lose, and believe me if they are treating me this way there must be thousands of others. This new mega dish for HD and the piss poor delivery system and their corporate culture will really hurt them, bad, trust me on this. I am an educated customer and know how much better DTV's choices are over my local cable company, truly believe will be over Echosar in HD and I also know they can deliver this equipment to me or ensure I get a streamlined version of the Ku thingie, and they won't. What excuse can they possible have to their shareholders for being such morons?

geaux1 said:
This new mega dish for HD and the piss poor delivery system and their corporate culture will really hurt them, bad, trust me on this.

I also know they can deliver this equipment to me or ensure I get a streamlined version of the Ku thingie, and they won't.

Mega dish ??? This is a LOT smaller than the DISH SuperDish.

You can get a Streamline KU thingy, when they come out, closer to the end of the year.

Personally, I think I like this AT-9 alot, I perfer this to the streamline because of the larger surface, this will allow me to have little to know rainfade issues.

We had a pretty good rain this weekend, but not as bad as I was hoping for. I want to test this dish for rain fade, badly .... we were suppose to have rain and thunderstorms most of the weekend, but I think it ended up going south towards Columbus.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Mega dish ??? This is a LOT smaller than the DISH SuperDish.

You can get a Streamline KU thingy, when they come out, closer to the end of the year.

Personally, I think I like this AT-9 alot, I perfer this to the streamline because of the larger surface, this will allow me to have little to know rainfade issues.

We had a pretty good rain this weekend, but not as bad as I was hoping for. I want to test this dish for rain fade, badly .... we were suppose to have rain and thunderstorms most of the weekend, but I think it ended up going south towards Columbus.

Jimbo

me too, lol never lost signal once, which was great college football on sat morning, and UFC fight saturday night!

stuart628 said:
me too, lol never lost signal once, which was great college football on sat morning, and UFC fight saturday night!
Ya, You probably got more of the storm that went thru the Horseshoe Saturday, I was hoping for the thunderstorms they had forcast for the w/e, but no such luck, at least I was able to get my grass cut this way!!!

Jimbo

Come to Bama, you can get all the storms you want. And yes, you will lose signal no matter what kinda dish you have

Ya know, I kinda wish I had kept my Dish subscription and gotten DTV at the same time, instead of totally switching to DTV. I should have seen what it would have cost to go with Dish for HD, and kept DTV for my normal viewing.

From what I see, tho, HD DVRs are pretty expensive from Dish, and DTV gave me a great deal. And Sunday Ticket's gonna be awesome in HD. Still, I should have looked into the costs of keeping both.

Now, if and/or when D* is offering more HD content than E* (possibly next fall), will these same arguments be valid? Will everyone be jumping ship to D* because they may (for the time being) have a few extra HD channels than E* (hypothetically speaking).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)