It's that time of year again, upcoming price changes.

I am guessing that the Everything Pack will still have the credit applied for no HBO/Cinemax. Dish probably wants to cover their bases that if HBO/Cinemax comes back that the credits just stop and the price is what they want it to be.
On the alternative, Dish could finally make the "Everything" pack actually include almost everything by adding Multi-Sport, Dish Movie Pack, BBC World News, those Viacom Flex Pack-only channels, etc. That would justify the price hike, even without HBO and Cinemax. Then, if those return, that would just be a free bonus for awhile, until the next price hike.

Reactions: charlesrshell
On the alternative, Dish could finally make the "Everything" pack actually include almost everything by adding Multi-Sport, Dish Movie Pack, BBC World News, those Viacom Flex Pack-only channels, etc. That would justify the price hike, even without HBO and Cinemax. Then, if those return, that would just be a free bonus for awhile, until the next price hike.
Sounds like dish has already justified the increase...a bunch of other channels increased in price

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Sounds like dish has already justified the increase...a bunch of other channels increased in price
I meant that it would justify the listed price if the HBO/Cinemax credit went away, since the chart did not specifically mention that credit, like it did with the Univision credit. With no HBO or Cinemax, and no more credit to offset their removal, Dish would have to add something to that package to replace them. Perhaps Dish could do a bundle with Netflix, so that Everything Pack subscribers would get Netflix at no additional cost. That would explain the additional Netflix channel on 302, where one of the HBO channels used to be, if Netflix is actually going to be substituted as a replacement for HBO and Cinemax.

Price locked for 2 years but had that not been the case they would have offered some discounts and a price lock anyway or off I go.
Can get ESPN now thru Fire stick... nice VPN setup already and everything else thru prime video and netflix streaming.
Its gonna happen sooner or later at these rate increases.
They are basically increasing rates to increase cord cutting. $5 is just too much each year considering now as someone else already said, its starting to cost more than electric monthly bills.
They are losing subs left and right already and then do this to the ones they barely still have. Doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: reddice
That's a 13% price increase, or 30.4% price increase for the new subs. The annual inflation rate is only 2.2%. Wow.

Directv just released their numbers. Care to figure out inflation on this?

upload_2018-12-16_12-28-53.png

i had the dish everything pack for atleast 9 plus years. after my bill went to 135 plus tax per month I said nah no more.
I was only watching so many channels at once. so what i did was drop down to flex, welcome, then to smart, then back to flex pack.
i find myself watching only certain channels, like locals, tbs, comedy, oxygen, etc. when i decided to go to smart pack it was for science channel, id tv, and then i missed channels that i wanted from the welcome pack, that is not in smart pack.

so what i find myself doing is jumping around via packages, so if i want to go upgrade to flex for a bit to watch there package, i watch it for few months, and if i want to drop to smart pack, i did that as well.

basically locals, - welcome pack combine with tbs, comedy, oxygen,we=history, add heartland,then have a good round about package, add, epix for 3,50 per month for 5 months, encore. i get stuff i want.

now dont get me wrong, in future i am going to upgrade back to flex, and maybe a higher package and switch and get channels i want at different times. that is why i like dish package.

to me dish package is forumulated in a way to get some channels of what u want, and if u had enough of that package for awhile you can either upgrade to something that fits your needs, or downgrade to other package. that is very neccesary to me because my viewing habits has change, will change. that is why i downggraded from americas everything package, because i felt like to many channels i was getting, and only watch 20 or so of them, and then ending up getting different package, when i am in the mood for at different times.

i had no choice also it was to expensive as well, my internet price is fair and my dish pack is fair, and i am only paying half of each, with a friend of mine, who happens to be my roomate, so its split evenly. works good for us.

bottom line i choose different packs at different times because i try to switch to see different channels at different times.

i found welcome package, encore, heartland, epix to give me enough channels to watch for me. i mean its only 24 hours in a day and only so many hours dedicated to watching tv, when doing other stuff and using internet too.

:)

Directv just released their numbers. Care to figure out inflation on this?

View attachment 136351
The relevant comparison would be to Directv's equivalent of Welcome Pack. Wait, first they would have to create such a package. :p
In any event, the same dollar amount increase to a lower-priced package is always going to result in a larger percentage increase. That's just the way math works.

i had the dish everything pack for atleast 9 plus years. after my bill went to 135 plus tax per month I said nah no more.:)

Same here...had the Everything Pack for at least a decade and when my bill went past $140, I dropped Showtime (was watching very little on it as I marked my viewing for 2 months before dropping it) and dropped back to the AT250 pack. Have my bill down to a "reasonable" level now (just under $125 + tax/month), but it's still high. Was thinking of dropping HBO, but they kept bringing up movies that I wanted to see, but then the AT&T dispute made that decision for me... ;)

Reactions: pattykay
This is really only true for stations being forced into VHF-LO.

Perhaps in theory. The reality around my area is a lot of people have trouble getting our VHF-HI station 11 at a distance over 20 miles. At least one station is supposed to go down to VHF-LO with the repack. It is going to hurt reception unless they do something special (not sure what that would be). It doesn't help that all the transmitters are east of Raleigh (except PBS), but a lot of the population growth is west of Raleigh.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
The relevant comparison would be to Directv's equivalent of Welcome Pack. Wait, first they would have to create such a package.
In any event, the same dollar amount increase to a lower-priced package is always going to result in a larger percentage increase. That's just the way math works.
Not to mention dish does not have a regional sports fee...8 bucks in some markets

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

The worse dish price increase was when some idiot at Dish decided that a 722 should be $17 per month for each receiver.

I had the everything pack at the time to avoid the DVR fee and had phone lines connected.

When I switched to Directv the savings in just received fees was worth it.

I had (6) 722’s so my bill went up $50 overnight.

I called Dish to complain and their solution was to swap my 722’s for 612’s

Of course they wanted to charge me.

I think this was the same time Bob Haller left Dish for Comcast

I would think it is the latter - wanting to force everyone to switch to the Flex Pack. It would be a lot easier sell to the customers "look at all the channels you are getting" as opposed to taking them off the flexibility that those who have the Flex Pack really enjoy. But then on the flip side, is Dish making more money off the other packages since the price point is so close but the Welcome/Smart Pack has so much fewer channels than the base Flex Pack? I also wonder if that is the reason they keep Dish America Silver and Dish America Gold. I actually was looking to switch from Top 250 to Dish America Gold, but the CSR told me that it was going to be going away if I wanted it to be added, I needed to be bumped up higher since he couldn't do it. And in retrospect, it was a better option to not do it because DA Gold wasn't getting the new channels added to the pack as Dish added them to the other packs. So those two packs have had the same price increases but no new subs or channels - Dish is probably making a pretty big profit off of those.

I know one person on a fixed income that has The Welcome Pack" There is no way she is willing to pay $30-$40 for Dish. I am sure if that is the case, she will go back to cable as they have a small package of basic locals and a few other offerings.

I might even consider that, if the price is not too high.

Reactions: pattykay
The worse dish price increase was when some idiot at Dish decided that a 722 should be $17 per month for each receiver.

I had the everything pack at the time to avoid the DVR fee and had phone lines connected.

When I switched to Directv the savings in just received fees was worth it.

I had (6) 722’s so my bill went up $50 overnight.

I called Dish to complain and their solution was to swap my 722’s for 612’s

Of course they wanted to charge me.

I think this was the same time Bob Haller left Dish for Comcast
I remember that. I had four 722s at the time.

For an older single guy, the old vip211k works fine with no receiver fees, yet I have the outboard HDD and the OTA tuner. I have no idea how the OTA tuner will work with 3.0 on the horizon? But time will tell. It doesn't sound like Dish is going to put a lot into a new receiver with an OTA dongle, so my choice will be something like a Tivo of the Channel Master version. I like being able to record OTA to the HDD, everything in one place.The way things are going, in the next couple of years will Dish carry the local diginets when you buy locals? It may be a good selling point.

I know one person on a fixed income that has The Welcome Pack" There is no way she is willing to pay $30-$40 for Dish. I am sure if that is the case, she will go back to cable as they have a small package of basic locals and a few other offerings.

There is no packages on Comcast or spectrum for less than the welcome pack.

After you add the taxes and fees Dish is a better value.

For an older single guy, the old vip211k works fine with no receiver fees, yet I have the outboard HDD and the OTA tuner. I have no idea how the OTA tuner will work with 3.0 on the horizon? But time will tell. It doesn't sound like Dish is going to put a lot into a new receiver with an OTA dongle, so my choice will be something like a Tivo of the Channel Master version. I like being able to record OTA to the HDD, everything in one place.The way things are going, in the next couple of years will Dish carry the local diginets when you buy locals? It may be a good selling point.

3.0 is years away. And with what we went through on the last transition it will take even longer.

I don’t think any tv’s are shipping with 3.0 tuners.

Price locked for 2 years but had that not been the case they would have offered some discounts and a price lock anyway or off I go.
Can get ESPN now thru Fire stick... nice VPN setup already and everything else thru prime video and netflix streaming.
Its gonna happen sooner or later at these rate increases.
They are basically increasing rates to increase cord cutting. $5 is just too much each year considering now as someone else already said, its starting to cost more than electric monthly bills.
They are losing subs left and right already and then do this to the ones they barely still have. Doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah, the channel owners are biting the hands that feed them. Doesn't make sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts