It's yours

One should make sure that the HD OTA tuners are active before purchasing them or they are door stoppers.

Vicki said:
TYORK, I understand and agree (from prior posts) that spahoose is probably a VoOm CSR.

Having my brain engaged (not in neutral), I took the comment about "no news on purchased receivers" to mean...relative to any proration or rebates for purchasers...doesn't seem like rocket science to me to figure that out...Vicki :)

that the way i took this too.

t

Those listed on Ebay......

There's been only one seller that confirmed that his receiver worked for the OTA channels and his auction ended a few days ago. All of the other sellers have no idea or don't really care to take a second to find out. Before bidding on one of these auctions, make sure you ask them to check and see if it will receive OTA broadcasts. Make sure also that it hasn't been deactivated. Those receivers that have been deactivated are useless because both the satellite and the OTA channels functioned only when the smart card inside was still active. Also, most auctions on Ebay state that the receivers are new and have all materials with them. Stay away from these unless you would like to experiment with one of these receivers. Those that have not been activated and are new out of the box are in the same category as those that have been deactivated. A final question to ask the seller is about the firmware. Make sure the box got the very last update which came out a few months ago. It was said that the last firmware update possibly turned off the part of the smartcard that needed a continual code sent from the satellite to stay active or otherwise you could be buying something that will die in a matter of days. If all of these conditions are met, I would imagine that the bids on these "good" receivers would be much higher than the bids on those that have not been activated, which have been going around the 30 dollar price range with about $20 bucks shipping on each receiver. For checking firmware information, consider the following:
Software version: 02.4C
HAL Version: 00.07.37
Middleware Version: 01.45.02
Guide Version: 20.02.08

Note: Guide Version may not be necessary, since the guide is no longer active, since the satellite is not transmitting that information anymore. Also, I think the HAL version is the most notable firmware information you will need. Anytime there was information about an upcoming firmware update, I could usually recall it was a number similar to this one.

I guess it wasn't worth the expense after all.......

There was some speculation going on that Voom might take back these receivers and resell them to another company like StarChoice because they use a similar receiver design. I guess they figured out the costs incurred on the company versus the possible profit makings on the receivers was too much slanted in the direction of costs. It may have also been that Cablevision couldn't find anyone to purchase the receivers from them at all or at the price they were wanting.

Rewrite

Sorry for the confusion, I had about five minutes to post before I had to go to work and just condensed it.
All Voom CSR's got a memo that stated Voom is not going to be asking for the receivers back and is transferring ownership of all equipment to the customers.
And yes, for those of you that have not read my other posts, I am a Voom CSR.
Don't know about the purchased receivers yet? What else could that mean? What have you been asking about for the last month? If you would have bothered calling then you would have found that purchasers will find out about prorated refunds, if any, on the final statement.

If your receivers are still working for locals then the best way to avoid a kill signal is to take the diplexor off of the back of the receiver and connect directly to the ota module but, there are no guarantees that that way will stop the signal. The best thing to do is to disconnect the sat dish totally and leave the ota antenna connected to the combiner.

For those of you that want to wait for your letters, go ahead, its your time to do with as you choose.

Who's who

VOOMER said:
So who really cares who he is ?
Although by his mumbled statement here i must say it sure sounds like a CSR.
Unclear ,undecided and just making a statement,not caring if it is true or false or anywhere in between.

Maybe he is the new Dragon coming back to haunt !

Your statement sounds more like something that Dragon would say.

Vicki said:
TYORK, I understand and agree (from prior posts) that spahoose is probably a VoOm CSR.

Having my brain engaged (not in neutral), I took the comment about "no news on purchased receivers" to mean...relative to any proration or rebates for purchasers...doesn't seem like rocket science to me to figure that out...Vicki :)

You let someone jerk your chain WAY too easily LOL

JL was referring back to a post made earlier, and it was all "tongue in cheek".

C'mon! Wake up! lol

Lob

I'm still enjoying OTA on my VOOM stb. They are still operative within the warranty terms. Does GM return your money after you just bought a car and they don't make it any more? I think not.

Vicki said:
Well, then, why not just get over it and move on to the forum of your choice? Spreading ill will in this forum will probably not change your fortunes, any more than it will change the fortunes of those of us who still wish to reside here...Vicki :confused:

I wasn't spreading ill will, just stating a fact.

jimmykce1 said:
I wasn't spreading ill will, just stating a fact.

Ill will..that was quite a strech.
Amazing how some people will interpret things to stir up trouble.

lilyarbie said:
There was some speculation going on that Voom might take back these receivers and resell them to another company like StarChoice because they use a similar receiver design. I guess they figured out the costs incurred on the company versus the possible profit makings on the receivers was too much slanted in the direction of costs. It may have also been that Cablevision couldn't find anyone to purchase the receivers from them at all or at the price they were wanting.
Star Choice uses QPSK modulation, and Voom used 8PSK, so Voom STBs won't work with Star Choice without modification.

spahoose said:
Sorry for the confusion, I had about five minutes to post before I had to go to work and just condensed it.
All Voom CSR's got a memo that stated Voom is not going to be asking for the receivers back and is transferring ownership of all equipment to the customers.
And yes, for those of you that have not read my other posts, I am a Voom CSR.
Don't know about the purchased receivers yet? What else could that mean? What have you been asking about for the last month? If you would have bothered calling then you would have found that purchasers will find out about prorated refunds, if any, on the final statement.

If your receivers are still working for locals then the best way to avoid a kill signal is to take the diplexor off of the back of the receiver and connect directly to the ota module but, there are no guarantees that that way will stop the signal. The best thing to do is to disconnect the sat dish totally and leave the ota antenna connected to the combiner.

For those of you that want to wait for your letters, go ahead, its your time to do with as you choose.

Well it sound like the customer that bought there boxes are not going to be out all there money after all sound like a deal to me .. Thanks for the info .

t

spahoose said:
Your statement sounds more like something that Dragon would say.

I thought the same thing when i first read that statement.

t

spahoose said:
If your receivers are still working for locals then the best way to avoid a kill signal is to take the diplexor off of the back of the receiver and connect directly to the ota module but, there are no guarantees that that way will stop the signal.
spahoose, thanks for bringing the news about the boxes, but I have a question about the statement quoted above. Was this also written in the memo? Or have you heard any talks about this after the shut down? The reason I am asking this, is because it doesn't make any sense to me. To send a kill signal you need an operational satellite (still broadcasting at the same frequencies and with the same encoding), but the satellite is dead. At least as far as the VOOM STB is concerned. Are you saying that they are going to bring it back up with a sole purpose of sending kill signals? And what would be the purpose? If the decision has been made (as you stated) that all VOOM customers get to keep their STBs as OTA tuners, why would anyone send kill signals? Doesn't make any sense, don't you think?

I like how there are no gauarantees that disconnecting the sat dish will stop the kill signal ;)

Guess that means they plan on having all the local digital stations send it out for them, OTA? LOL

Lob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)