It's Official - VOOM ON DISH NETWORK!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Shawn95GT said:
By the way - the $250 isn't buying a DVR. It's buying you the ability to lease the DVR from them. What a deal :rolleyes: .

Yes, correct, it is the upgrade cost to lease the 942 instead of an 811. It doesn't cost me any monthy fees for as long as I am with Dish, though, so I have to keep the 942 for as long as I am wish Dish Network, and if I'm not with them, I don't need the 942 any more. Seems like a pretty good deal to me since I'm sure I'll be with them for quite a while. Also, since it is leased equipment, hopefully they will upgrade it if it becomes obsolete due to an upgrade to MPEG4. They mentioned that as part of the 1 year agreement, they will fix anything that stops working in your setup during that time, and that you can sign another 1 year contract after the first year expires to continue it (or, you can pay a monthly fee to do the same). So, if you have this coverage, it seems that if the receiver can only do MPEG2, and suddenly it needs to be able to do MPEG4 that Dish will swap out the 942 for an updated MPEG-4 capable HD-DVR.

seandudley said:
Yes, correct, it is the upgrade cost to lease the 942 instead of an 811. It doesn't cost me any monthy fees for as long as I am with Dish, though, so I have to keep the 9421 for as long as I am wish Dish Network, and if I'm not with them, I don't need the 942 any more. Seems like a pretty good deal to me since I'm sure I'll be with them for quite a while. Also, since it is leased equipment, hopefully they will upgrade it if it becomes obsolete due to an upgrade to MPEG4. They mentioned that as part of the 1 year agreement, they will fix anything that stops working in your setup during that time, and that you can sign another 1 year contract after the first year expires to continue it (or, you can pay a monthly fee to do the same). So, if you have this coverage, it seems that if the receiver can only do MPEG2, and suddenly it needs to be able to do MPEG4 that Dish will swap out the 942 for an updated MPEG-4 capable HD-DVR.
Good info! I'm still not 100% sold on the $250 deal but if there is an upgrade path then the offer at least has some value. That whole dual-tuner thing sounds really cool.

Can you do a self install with Dish?

Shawn95GT said:
Can you do a self install with Dish?

Yes, you can, but unless you just want to do it, there really isn't a point since the $49.00 installation charge is refunded on your first bill, so it ends up being free installation.

seandudley said:
So, if you have this coverage, it seems that if the receiver can only do MPEG2, and suddenly it needs to be able to do MPEG4 that Dish will swap out the 942 for an updated MPEG-4 capable HD-DVR.

I am sure they will, but they will probably charge you an additional $250 for the privaledge of leasing that new mpeg 4 model also, figuring you did it once , you will probably do it again!!!!

I am currently a voom and dish sub and have a dish 811 (non dvr hd receiver), i was going to call in and threaten to quit dish if they did not make me the same $250 942 offer that they are giving new dish customers, but then i thought, heck i have been living with just an SD dvr for this long , why sell out to charlie's demands when there is no quarantee that the 942 will support mpeg 4 or be swapped out free of charge.

So for now i will just add the hardware to my dish setup, that will allow me to integrate the voom 61.5 dish so i can get the 10 additional voom channels (i think i will just need a DP21 and dish adapter because i already have a superdish with a dp34). This way i still have no long term contract with Charlie and i did not fork over $250 for the pleasure of leasing a HD DVR (i will survive with my SD DVR for a few more months)

Then i will wait to see what the big June announcement from direcTV will be. Rumors are that they will add all the Voom 21, plus east and west coast HD feeds of HBO/Max/Sho/Starz, TNT, and launch some of their own HD channels like voom did. And it would be sweet to have access to NFL Sunday Ticket again, and in HD (damn, i do miss channel surfing between every game on Sundays)!!!!!!

One of the reasons I don't want to jump on the E* HD-DVR bandwagon and fork out $250.00 for the privilege of leasing the box is that I purchased a Dishplayer 7100 back in 2000 that was the biggest piece of junk I have ever seen. I begged and pleaded with E* to give me something different, but they constantly refused to make it right. Finally someone filed a class action lawsuit against E* and forced them to at least give people who bought the hunk of junk either a credit for new equipment or $5.00 if they were no longer a sub or discounted PPV movies if they were still a sub. But they only did anything about the defective equipment after being ordered to do so by a Court of Law!! There are even archived threads on this forum describing the class action lawsuit... http://www.satelliteguys.us/archive/index.php/t-21351.html

So if I seem a little shy of paying $250.00 to lease the 942 with the hopes of them just giving me a new unit when they go to MPEG 4, then you can see why I would have my doubts.

I hope this is not the case with E* anymore, but when I asked the CSR today about a free swap out after MPEG 4 was available I did not get an answer at all. I also asked a sales person at a local Satellite company here in Phoenix and he said that he did not know for sure if they would upgrade for free when that time comes and he did not want to give me any false hopes in case they would not swap it out for free.

Maybe things are different with E* now since the Dishplayer fiasco, but you can see why I am cautious about paying up front for E* equipment.

"I just signed up to reconnect to Dish a few days ago. At the time I signed back up with Dish I turned down going to HD due to a lack of content (and I still had 2 non-HD Dish receivers). Today I read that they will be providing several of the Voom HD channels. I am now interested in signing up for the HD. So I called Dish and they told me that the HD special is only for new customers and that I'd have to pay $414 for the HD receiver!!! "

Post from another forum-back to the high cost of living

kfried001 said:
Now we need Kung Fu & Vice. Drop Gallery.

And personally I'd say keep Gallery, drop "Guy TV" and "Monsters" and add Filmfest and WorldCinema.

I'm not judging here, but different people have different preferences in terms of channels. Some people even like "Lab"!

CDH.

I don't think I'll be hopping on the Dish wagon just yet. I'm glad someone has picked up some of VOOM's content, BUT, I don't understand the requirement to PAY $250 for the ability to LEASE their DVR ;) I have a dual-tuner HD-DVR now from my cable company. It costs me $7.95/mo, period.

I think I'll see how things settle out and go from there. Glad Rave and Equator are around though.

Enjoy,

Lob

Lobstah said:
I don't think I'll be hopping on the Dish wagon just yet. I'm glad someone has picked up some of VOOM's content, BUT, I don't understand the requirement to PAY $250 for the ability to LEASE their DVR ;) I have a dual-tuner HD-DVR now from my cable company. It costs me $7.95/mo, period.

The way I look at it is: $250 "lease" (and the actual lease cost is only a $5/month DVR fee) is a fee I'd be willing to pay to be able to record HD OTA channels, Voom programming, and Sirius programming. As others have pointed out: $250 is a darn sight better than $549 for a purchased 921, $699 for a purchased 942, or $630 (after rebates etc.) for a D* HR10-250. None of the above receivers have any guaranteed horizon of usefulness or "free upgrade" (though Robert at Value Electronics seems pretty sure that the D* HD-Tivos will get a free upgrade after MPeg4).

Though a cable lease is the cheapest option, I'm willing to pay more to get what I really want and I'm lucky enough to be able to afford the $250.

CDH.

While I am certainly intrigued by the news of the Voom programming continuing, I'm gonna hold off on ordering Dish at least for a while. I've called them several times this morning trying to see what options are available for subscribing to just the HD programming -- and cannot get the same answer from any two CSR's. Everything from "Sure, it's ten bucks a month; just gotta buy a receiver" to "No. You must subscribe to one of the America's packages to be able to get HD programming". Even got some answers in between, where I was told I could get the regular HD Pak by itself but would have to get a basic SD package to be able to get the Voom channels. :confused:
So until there's some sort of assurance that I'll actually be able to sub to what I want I'm not gonna buy a receiver.

TheTimm said:
So until there's some sort of assurance that I'll actually be able to sub to what I want I'm not gonna buy a receiver.
Timm, call the folks at The Dishstore and hear what they have to say. They sponsor SatelliteGuys and I believe they are in your neck of the woods. I called them earlier this month and they were able to answer all my questions in great detail. However, I didn't order at that time because cable was the better alternative and I wanted to see how the VOOM21 drama unfolded.

Riff...

942 is amazing

I just got the 942 last saturday, and i also have 61.5, since i get international channels , indian channels, so i am set to receive hd 10 from voom luckily.

THe 942 is the most amazing chip. Compared to 921, or Dish 6000 which i owned it has a new driver chipset for video. YOu can streatch SD to 16-9, with amazing clarity. It is like having S video out of Dish 6000 on 480 mode, so you don't have to switch to SD mode to watch SD sharply, you can keep it upconverted in HD The HD is stunning. I never watch SD ever on voom. i actually watch SD now it looks quasi HD, it is so clear and resolute, sharp and colorful

The 942 is the most amazing picture quality receiver i ever had. Recording Bikini Destinations, i want to reach out and touch the girls. don't get the 811 it sucks, the 942 is the most amazing receiver, and has name based recording which the 921 does not. Plus HDMI out ( the supply HDMI to dvi cord)

riffjim4069 said:
Timm, call the folks at The Dishstore and hear what they have to say. They sponsor SatelliteGuys and I believe they are in your neck of the woods. I called them earlier this month and they were able to answer all my questions in great detail. However, I didn't order at that time because cable was the better alternative and I wanted to see how the VOOM21 drama unfolded.

Riff...
Good thinkin', Riff. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

riffjim4069 said:
I believe they are in your neck of the woods.
You're not kidding! Got their location from their website -- I could walk to their building. And I just might. Thanks again. :D

Well, maybe this (really) is what voomers have been yelling for. Keeping their HD theme channels AND getting the HD DVR. Would you have paid $250 if voom was still alive and rolled out their HD DVR, for $250?

I have cable + their HD DVR now, few hd channels available, however.
It would be nice to record Monster-HD.
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning to try.
I've never had Dish, so I can get the deals.

I just need more info on their 942 dvr.

So, can you get the Digital Home Advantage plan (the lease) without the local channels? I get them OTA, and have no need for the SD ones from the sat.

Thanks,
-John

Dish gets Voom HD channels....

Can't wait for dish to get worldsport and Kung fu HD....I hope they do soon...can't live without them...

Is there anywhere I could see a picture or screen capture of Dish's guide-menu? I ordered Cablevision 2 weeks ago and I just can't stand the guide, it is so damn annoying. Does anyone know if the picture quality of Rave and the others are going to be as great as Voom. Rave must be one of the best looking pics out there. IMHO

Dish Install

I just had Dish installed yesterday. I received two HD receivers and one standard DVR for free. To truggy 0, I don't think that they offer at this time a free HD-DVR. Go to the Dish Network site and click on their Schedule Installation link and this will give you all their free and charged package information. The Dish 811HD is their standard receiver and the Dish 942HD DVR is their recorder. I was hooked up in three days and everything is as advertised so far. :cool: Gotta go tee it up!!

Anyone call E* today? I just got off the phone with them and what they told me sounded too good to be true. It was $49.99 to be refunded on first bill a FREE HD-DVR and a reg. reciver the HD programing encluding V* 10 $9.99 no comitment unless I wanted a warenty. I wanted to sign on the dotted line then and there and maybe I should have but never. I know there ain't nothing FREE theres allways a catch somewheres. I ask her twice if that $9.99 encluded V* all she said was it did and I had read on here it would another $5 bucks which sound more real than them adding 10 HD chanels and not charging more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)