It's Official - VOOM ON DISH NETWORK!

oh geez, stop you're wasting your time. Wait until more info is released, not some random info from a random CSR

Although unfortunetly it does look like the extra $5 part is true :(

EVERYONE will be able to get the 10 VoOm channels. If a CSR tells you otherwise then they are lying.

StevenD.....you have some resentment towards VOOMERS....chill dude....VOOMERS are NOT EXPECTING a handout...we VOOMERS figured since 3 CABLE COMPANIES(Adelphia, Comcast and Cox) are offering FREE HD DVRs, maybe DISH would do the same....admit it, you PAID for whatever you have wish DISH...and since YOU were not offered the same deal....you are not happy...Hey, I would feel the same....but as the saying goes...don't hate the player....hate the game....

bmann said:
If you already have dish now you may not be able to get voom 10 yet this is a new promo for new customers....This came from a dish csr.... :eek: :mad:

bmann

Hmmmm, Let's see, Let's only offer programming to 40,000 people and be happy with the profit from that, it would just be such a bad business decision to offer it to our other 10,000,000 Subs and reap the profit from them also. Come on people, think before you type, unless of coarse your at the Pub, then your forgiven.

Just for the additional $5/ mo for Voom would you rather collect $200,000 or $50,000,000 per month? Remember though, their not all HD subs like us. it's the potential

StevenD said:
Im really getting tired of you ex-Voomers whining and complaining about not getting a free HD DVR. Why are you special? You chose to ditch Dish, DirectTV or cable and try out a startup satellite company. That company FAILED and now you think you are entitled to something?!?!?! As a new (or returning) customer, Dish is offering you a 942 for $250. I think thats a pretty nice deal.
I wouln't say most are bitching - more like hoping. It isn't completely unreasonable. Cable does it - I know, I have one. A free lease option with a commitment would go over quite nice.
StevenD said:
Dish really couldnt care less about 40,000 subscribers. If you sign up with Dish, thats great for them, if not, they arent going out of business!

Ive invested quite a bit of money in Dish equipment the last several years and pay them over $130/month in programming fees. They certainly arent willing to fork over a 942 to me for free, nor do I expect them to. If I want the best receiver on the market, I expect to pay for it. If it weren't for the pending MPEG-4 migration, I would buy two 942's right now.
The MPG4 Migration is exactly why they should be giving them away. It's about like buying a new SD TV today knowing that it's going all digital in 2006.
StevenD said:
Why do you think DirectTV hasnt lowered the price on their HD TiVo? They certainly arent offering an introductory price of $250. They know that people who really want all that HDTV can offer, are willing to pay for it.

If you cant afford to play the game...get a pair of rabbit ears.
As far as I'm concerned, HD DVR is highly over-rated. It is cool, no doubt. It isn't $1000 cool.

By the way - the $250 isn't buying a DVR. It's buying you the ability to lease the DVR from them. What a deal :rolleyes: .

FWIW, rabbit ears aka OTA is looking pretty good. Do you realize with Voom we got EVERYTHING but Playboy for what you pay for the top180 with HD pack? I'm getting 45+ Hd channels via my Voom Box right now (VaVaVoom plus the 7 or so OTA).

HD leader my ass.

It's like winning a running race because the guy who's lapping you keels over dead before the finish line.

So

You are saying the people who chose to spend money with d and then d pull this out of there where its real dark :yes .. We X Voomers get the boot I THINK
NOT .If X VOOMERS would call at once we would let them now how we felt :D :yes

Shawn95GT said:
I wouln't say most are bitching - more like hoping. It isn't completely unreasonable. Cable does it - I know, I have one. A free lease option with a commitment would go over quite nice.

The MPG4 Migration is exactly why they should be giving them away. It's about like buying a new SD TV today knowing that it's going all digital in 2006.

As far as I'm concerned, HD DVR is highly over-rated. It is cool, no doubt. It isn't $1000 cool.

By the way - the $250 isn't buying a DVR. It's buying you the ability to lease the DVR from them. What a deal :rolleyes: .

FWIW, rabbit ears aka OTA is looking pretty good. Do you realize with Voom we got EVERYTHING but Playboy for what you pay for the top180 with HD pack? I'm getting 45+ Hd channels via my Voom Box right now (VaVaVoom plus the 7 or so OTA).

HD leader my ass.

It's like winning a running race because the guy who's lapping you keels over dead before the finish line.

I totally agree Shawn. It is not a matter of "If you cant afford to play the game...get a pair of rabbit ears." It is a matter of not wasting our money for something that may be obsolete in less than 6 months! Who is to say if the 942 cannot be upgraded to MPEG 4 that E* won't charge us another $250.00 to $500.00 to upgrade to a newer unit that is MPEG 4 capable when that time comes.

I just call it being smart... Not too poor to afford to buy the equipment.

I have two 57" HDTV's.... I think I could afford $250.00 for the box, that is if I thought it was worth it!!

Personally, if I could get just the voom10 with the 61.5 voom dish I have up right now, I would be happy. I would keep cable with the HD DVR that cost me nothing up front and only 9.95/mo, and pay the extra few bucks for the voom10 from dish.

My ideal scenario right now would be for adelphia to get on the ball and start carrying the voom channels also. Hell, monstersHD already lists them as a carrier so maybe there is something in the works.

If you buy your own equipment (Can get an 811 on ebay for around $150)

Then yes you can get Dish's HD pack plus the voom hd pack plus a service fee for:
9.99 + 5 + 5 = 19.99

But in order to get Dish's HD channels you'd need another dish 500, but if you want you can just pay for them and not use them, whatever you think is the cheaper set up route.

Dude This Is Soo Awsome!!

I never got the chance to get voom cause well it took me a while to buy an HD TV, but when i finally bought one, i when to the voom site and i found out about the sad news. so then i decided to get dish cause the picture quality is awsome and because u dont have to buy the hd equipment (unlike direct tv, $299) i was kinda sad when i notice that dish had only 5 hd channels but now IM SOOOO HAPPPY! i cant believe this dish rocks now! yay this is the best! beat that direct TV!!

I probably wouldn't mind spending $250 to lease an HD DVR if i knew that it was going to be out for a while but no way will I do that for the 942. No way no how.

You would think that voom would have updated their sire to reflect the news....nope. Still the "death" screen.

-k

Yup, they should put their original content websites back online so dish subs can check them out.

Star: why do you keep saying that? although of course they have the room, dish hasn't said they'll do that

I went to http://www.dbstalk.com/ and printed then read their review of DISH Network Dish Player DVR 942. ALL 29 pages! I'm sold on that $250 fee, better than spending on DirecTV DVR, which I would have bought if VOOM had not come along. I bet I will get my $250 worth of enjoyment out of it even if it becomes outdated and not replaced by DISH (which no one thinks will happen with MPEG4) If you want to wait and watch the world go by, why did you buy that HD set or subscribe to VOOM? Complain all you want, life is short and I am going to enjoy mine! That first RCA DVB VCR 200(?) I bought back around 1980 weighed 48 pounds and cost 1K was well worth the price if it had blown-up after a year. Was working nights then and TV went off late at night and about midnight on Sunday. Best $1,000 I ever spent. If you enjoy HD and have the equipment to view it now, why not? Tomorrow may be too late one of these days. Long live VOOM!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)