Iverson rumored trade to the Pistons!

Paul, I declared this was a bad trade for Detroit back in early November and I am officially declaring the Pistons have flushed-away their 2008-2009 season by trading Billups for Iverson. They went from a top-five team to a sub-.500 team:

Prior to trade::
Detroit 4-0
Denver 1-3

After the trade:
Detroit 23-26
Denver 36-15

I think they flushed it away when Dumar's hired Curry. I'm betting one and out for this guy. I seriously doubt we would have been that much better with Billups still here. The biggest problem still lies in the front court players. Next seasons changes will reflect this. No defense being played there. We may have had a better record with Billups still here, but come playoff time, this would have been a first round exit anyhow. At this point I don't even see us making the playoffs.

Yes, the trade was a bust, but we weren't going anywhere, anyhow. Wallace and McDyess, just can't play defense like they did just a short time ago. and the frontcourt bench hasn't stepped up as we had hoped. This isn't all on AI, but he isn't the same player he was a year ago either. I saw this demise coming at the end of the 2007 season. Look it up.

I think they flushed it away when Dumar's hired Curry. I'm betting one and out for this guy. I seriously doubt we would have been that much better with Billups still here. The biggest problem still lies in the front court players. Next seasons changes will reflect this. No defense being played there. We may have had a better record with Billups still here, but come playoff time, this would have been a first round exit anyhow. At this point I don't even see us making the playoffs.

Yes, the trade was a bust, but we weren't going anywhere, anyhow. Wallace and McDyess, just can't play defense like they did just a short time ago. and the frontcourt bench hasn't stepped up as we had hoped. This isn't all on AI, but he isn't the same player he was a year ago either. I saw this demise coming at the end of the 2007 season. Look it up.
I mostly agree...Wallace hasn't played well, AI is a couple years past his prime and Curry has been ineffective, at best. However, I always thought McDyess was over-rated and should have traded long ago. Additionally, I feel Billups added an intangible element of maturity and leadership that is badly needed by this years team...especially in light of Coach Curry's inexperience. While I don't feel the Pistons would go very far into the playoffs, I do think they would have another 10 wins with Billups.

I would say HALF bust....there were two reasons for it, cap mobility after 2010 and scoring improvement. Obviously, the scoring part of the trade has not worked, but I agree, the team was/is getting old and the ONLY player that had any major trade value was Billups....so if a trade had to be done, he was the only guy there to go with value. The STILL have the cap space when 2010 comes around so not all is a loss. I think alot of people are down on this team because this team has always been in the upper tier of the Eastern Conference. It just seems not right to see them struggle the way they have been.

Iverson's 21 million and Rasheed's $13 million come off the books this year, so Detroit goes into next year with just $33 million in cap committments. Unfortunately, they only have two "keepers", Prince and Hamilton. So while they have lots of cap room, they have to buy nearly a whole new team. If Billups were still in Detroit, he'd be getting I think $12 million next year which is more than he would be worth to them at this point in his carreer, especially for a team that is reloading.

Iverson's 21 million and Rasheed's $13 million come off the books this year, so Detroit goes into next year with just $33 million in cap committments. Unfortunately, they only have two "keepers", Prince and Hamilton. So while they have lots of cap room, they have to buy nearly a whole new team. If Billups were still in Detroit, he'd be getting I think $12 million next year which is more than he would be worth to them at this point in his carreer, especially for a team that is reloading.

Exactly.....but you have to admit, with the shortage of good to very good point guards in this league.....he was the player with best trade value.

I understand the monetary reason why Detroit made this deal, but in order to attract top notch talent next year when their salary cap is freed up, they will have to do something about their HC. Michael Curry has taken a lot of blame by the players, fans and media this year for the Pistons woes and rightfully so.

Iverson talks about whether he's going to heaven or hell, what went wrong with Detroit this year and where he wants to go next year....
"I've done a lot of good things in my life and done a lot of bad things in my life so I don't know," he said. "I hope the good things I've done outweigh the bad things. I'm damn sure I don't want to go to hell."
"I never sat out a whole quarter in my life 'til this year," he said. "I've never been down three with seconds left and not been in the game. ...

"That's what's so different about being in Detroit. ... When I was in Denver with [Carmelo Anthony], at the end of the games the ball was in my hands or Melo's, and there have been times this year when I had no control over having the ball in my hands."
But believe me, I think in my heart me being the focal point of an offense gives us the best opportunity to win. And finishing up my career that will be the team that I'm playing for. If not, then it will time for me to go. Because if I can't play my style of basketball, then there's no need to be playing because I can't help the team that I'm on if I can't play the way I play. Simple as that. Take it any way you want to take it. It's the truth.
For the entire article...

Since his Motown arrival, there have been more questions than answers for Detroit's Allen Iverson - Cleveland Cavaliers Basketball NBA News - cleveland.com

Iverson talks about whether he's going to heaven or hell, what went wrong with Detroit this year and where he wants to go next year....

But believe me, I think in my heart me being the focal point of an offense gives us the best opportunity to win. And finishing up my career that will be the team that I'm playing for. If not, then it will time for me to go. Because if I can't play my style of basketball, then there's no need to be playing because I can't help the team that I'm on if I can't play the way I play. Simple as that. Take it any way you want to take it. It's the truth.

What a team guy. This is why the Nuggets shot up the standings when Mr. Practice left, and Chauncey Billups arrived...kind of like I said they would.

Sandra

I would say HALF bust....there were two reasons for it, cap mobility after 2010 and scoring improvement. Obviously, the scoring part of the trade has not worked, but I agree, the team was/is getting old and the ONLY player that had any major trade value was Billups....so if a trade had to be done, he was the only guy there to go with value. The STILL have the cap space when 2010 comes around so not all is a loss. I think alot of people are down on this team because this team has always been in the upper tier of the Eastern Conference. It just seems not right to see them struggle the way they have been.

I'm sure all of Miami is in mourning....;)

What a team guy. This is why the Nuggets shot up the standings when Mr. Practice left, and Chauncey Billups arrived...kind of like I said they would.

That, and considering what's happened to the Rangers, you're becoming as accurate a predictor as I am.

Now, if only you could make an out-of-the-blue prediction like I did with Browns-Giants, Texas-Texas Tech, and the Cardinals making the Super Bowl, I'd elevate you to "Nostradamus."

That, and considering what's happened to the Rangers, you're becoming as accurate a predictor as I am.

Now, if only you could make an out-of-the-blue prediction like I did with Browns-Giants, Texas-Texas Tech, and the Cardinals making the Super Bowl, I'd elevate you to "Nostradamus."

That this happened in Detroit could have been predicted by the same little ground hog that supposedly predicts 6 weeks of winter....so this was not a surprise. What has been surprising was how old the WHOLE TEAM became. Also, I think Curry was the wrong man for the job and they thought it for sure they were gonna be a good team.

... I hated that the Knicks have sucked.

Guess what? While the Knicks will still be about $10,000,000 over the cap next year, when they go shopping for the 2010-2011 season, their cap figure based on present contracts will range from ZERO to $18,000,000, depending on whether they tender qualifying offers to Eddy Curry and Jared Jeffries. It would take an Elgin Baylor (or at least an Isiah Thomas) to fail to assemble a contender with that kind of cap room available.

That this happened in Detroit could have been predicted by the same little ground hog that supposedly predicts 6 weeks of winter....so this was not a surprise.

Oops, the little groundhog who said THIS back in November...

I don't think they will miss Billups as much as people think because you have players AND leaders on that team. The same was said when Ben Wallace left....he was 'the cornerstone of the defense'.....yeah, right. Made the Bulls instant contenders didn't it?:rolleyes: Look, the foundation is still in place of the type of team the Pistons are....hard nosed defense....and neither Allen Iverson coming or Chaunsey Billups leaving will change that.

...didn't quite predict the winter correctly...

But there was a silly girl who got one right for a change. :)

It's just such a shame I was sooooo right about the Rangers too.

Sandra

As a Raiders fan, you can attest to that when other AFC West teams went through a period of bad football.

Of course....I am sure their are Raider Haters that wish they were better so that when their team had a chance to whip them, they would enjoy it even more. Then again, their are fans that wanna beat the Raiders ANYWAY even when they suck because they live vicariously through just beating the Raiders.:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)