Jailbreaking iPhone

I want to on order to open up the option for tethering the one time in a blue moon it is needed, and for 3G unrestrictor. There are a few apps I have that still only run on WiFi. Plus there are some minor things like games only on Cydia and some setting tweaks, like the 5 row keyboard.

I want to on order to open up the option for tethering the one time in a blue moon it is needed, and for 3G unrestrictor. There are a few apps I have that still only run on WiFi. Plus there are some minor things like games only on Cydia and some setting tweaks, like the 5 row keyboard.

MiWi and Unrestrictor are the two key players for me as well.

Some time in the past 2 weeks I read a brief news item about Apple's latest move to end jail breaking. They claim they have a way now to brick the phones that are jail broken. They haven't decided when they will send out that kill command or how they will do it yet- with or without a prior warning. I should have posted it here but didn't think of it at the time. What struck me in the article was that Apple is continuing to make a bold effort to control the iphone, preventing its customers from jailbreaking. Understanding that they can't do anything legal since the court ruling, but they still have the option of pissing off their customers by bricking their jailborken iphones. Personally, I like freedom and wish Apple would just adopt the policy of Apple support for Apple iphones, You jail break it and YOYO. No warranty, no Apple service either. I don't see the point in bricking a persons phone because they installed something on it that does no harm to anyone else.

Some time in the past 2 weeks I read a brief news item about Apple's latest move to end jail breaking. They claim they have a way now to brick the phones that are jail broken. They haven't decided when they will send out that kill command or how they will do it yet- with or without a prior warning. I should have posted it here but didn't think of it at the time. What struck me in the article was that Apple is continuing to make a bold effort to control the iphone, preventing its customers from jailbreaking. Understanding that they can't do anything legal since the court ruling, but they still have the option of pissing off their customers by bricking their jailborken iphones. Personally, I like freedom and wish Apple would just adopt the policy of Apple support for Apple iphones, You jail break it and YOYO. No warranty, no Apple service either. I don't see the point in bricking a persons phone because they installed something on it that does no harm to anyone else.

The minute they intentionally brick a phone I paid for is the minute they'll have a class action on their hands. They can cut me off from the itunes store for violating the terms of use. They can sue me if they so choose. But intentionally damaging my personal property is unacceptable.

Now that's just plain old mean!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they do that, I'll never buy another apple product again.:mad:

The minute they intentionally brick a phone I paid for is the minute they'll have a class action on their hands. They can cut me off from the itunes store for violating the terms of use. They can sue me if they so choose. But intentionally damaging my personal property is unacceptable.

The part that makes what they said believable is that it wouldn't be the first time they do this. As for the class action suit- you can't bring about a class action suit for your personal loss. You can only sue them for your loss. Generally a 3rd party will begin proceedings to launch a class action suit based on the number of credible respondents to be a part of a class action. Getting to the point of a class action may take a year to launch. So, you paid $199 for an iphone, guess what your loss would be in a personal suit? $199 or a replacement iphone. Punitive damages doesn't apply here so you best represent yourself in small claims court. The antenna gate class action is a long way off from paying anyone anything. In the end I predict all it will be is a fraction of the damages based on some court figured formula based on someone's documented dropped calls due to an antenna issue as a fraction of a % of his monthly service bill. I would not be surprised if the class plaintiffs each get between $3.00 to $5.00 settlement and a free rubber condom for their antenna troubled iphone. So what's the biggest damage in these cases? The bad publicity and lost sales plus the hit the stock market cap will take. For you... nothing! sorry but that's our system.

The minute they intentionally brick a phone I paid for is the minute they'll he a class action on their hands.
Of course they will. And they know it.
Sony removed the completely insignificant - for a gaming console - option to run Linux on the PS3 and got it
PS3 Linux class action lawsuit coming at ya

Apple applied for a patent to identify your phone as jailbroken, not to brick it (that they knew how to do since day 1)
Apple attempts to patent kill switch that roots out unauthorized users, detects jailbreaks -- Engadget
And they did it only so that from time to time you are reminded by the Apple faithful they CAN do it...

Unless Jobs gets a brain transplant, they won't do it, I think. But what do I know...

Diogen.

Will they brick Jobs' own phone too or will it be exempt ? Wasn't there a video of him showing his phone and he has Cydia installed ?

Will they brick Jobs' own phone too or will it be exempt ? Wasn't there a video of him showing his phone and he has Cydia installed ?

Don't ever remember it being Jobs. I do know that Steve Wozniak (Apple co-founder), was shown to have a jailbroken iPhone.

Since the Feds have ruled that jailbreaking is legal, I do not see how Apple could brick phones and not have a serious problem in the courtroom. It is not like they could say they were trying to prevent an illegal activity. They would be actively damaging property owned by someone else.

The part that makes what they said believable is that it wouldn't be the first time they do this. As for the class action suit- you can't bring about a class action suit for your personal loss. You can only sue them for your loss. Generally a 3rd party will begin proceedings to launch a class action suit based on the number of credible respondents to be a part of a class action. Getting to the point of a class action may take a year to launch. So, you paid $199 for an iphone, guess what your loss would be in a personal suit? $199 or a replacement iphone. Punitive damages doesn't apply here so you best represent yourself in small claims court. The antenna gate class action is a long way off from paying anyone anything. In the end I predict all it will be is a fraction of the damages based on some court figured formula based on someone's documented dropped calls due to an antenna issue as a fraction of a % of his monthly service bill. I would not be surprised if the class plaintiffs each get between $3.00 to $5.00 settlement and a free rubber condom for their antenna troubled iphone. So what's the biggest damage in these cases? The bad publicity and lost sales plus the hit the stock market cap will take. For you... nothing! sorry but that's our system.

Don,

I'm an attorney, I know how class actions work. There are a lot of jailbroken units out there. Mine wouldn't be the only one. The only way to get Apple's attention if something like this were to happen is with a class action. They wouldn't even notice the few individuals that would go through the trouble of a small claims court proceeding. A class action exposes them to liability based on everyone who's phone they brick. A much more cost prohibitive monetary amount. And actually, the named plaintiffs in a class action generally end up a little better off than everyone else in the class upon settlement. But I will agree, the system is set up to punish the company rather than compensate the plaintiffs. The complexity and speculative nature of these claims generally make attorney's fees rather high.

Bottom line, $$ cost and bad PR involved, Apple should think twice before doing something like this.

Apple likely made this "threat" with a) no intentions of ever letting it see the light of day and b) to influence those who haven't jailbroken their phones to not try it.

From what I have read, they are able to jailbreak 4.0.2 but don't want to for two reasons:

1. It is moot since 4.1 will be coming out soon
  2. It will give Apple insight into a discovered flaw that may make jailbreaking 4.1 more difficult as they will fix this hole before it is officially released

They say that ALL the time, that they're not releasing a jailbreak for version "x" because an update from Apple is coming soon and that Apple will add a way to defeat the jailbreak. So what... If they don't get it in the upcoming update, they'll just add it to the next (or push an update sooner). All they (the jailbreak devs) are doing is buying time. :confused: Still won't stop someone with a jail-broken phone from connecting to their PC, firing up iTunes, and accidentally updating their firmware !!

They say that ALL the time, that they're not releasing a jailbreak for version "x" because an update from Apple is coming soon and that Apple will add a way to defeat the jailbreak. So what... If they don't get it in the upcoming update, they'll just add it to the next (or push an update sooner). All they (the jailbreak devs) are doing is buying time. :confused: Still won't stop someone with a jail-broken phone from connecting to their PC, firing up iTunes, and accidentally updating their firmware !!

Except that judging by the numbering 4.1 is probably a more substantive upgrade over 4.0.2. So it makes more sense to hold out a couple of weeks and jailbreak that one, than to waste the loophole on 4.0.2. At least, that's how I read it.

iOS 4.1 was released today. Rumors are that the jailbreak for this version is already done as well. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, do you know where we can get the jailbreak?

I want to make sure there is a jailbreak before I update to 4.1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)