Joey pixelation

I was having the same type of issue with my wireless joeys (pixilation with decent signal strength). Kept resetting network, hopper, joey, etc... I finally deduced that it was a wifi conflict between the Dish WAP and my wireless router. I changed the wireless router to a static channel and chose a channel that wasn't used much and have not had an issue with it at all since.

I will have to give that a try this evening, thanks!

I was having the same type of issue with my wireless joeys (pixilation with decent signal strength). Kept resetting network, hopper, joey, etc... I finally deduced that it was a wifi conflict between the Dish WAP and my wireless router. I changed the wireless router to a static channel and chose a channel that wasn't used much and have not had an issue with it at all since.

Can I have some more detailed directions on how to do this. Still having issues with WIFI Joey and Dish router from H3. About once a week I have to power all off and plug back in to get the wireless joey working again. Of course during prime time so all the programs get messed up and the wife has a fit!

Using a Comcast router with wireless built for regular wireless in if that matters for home network and Dish dist router for wireless joey.

Using a Comcast router with wireless built for regular wireless in if that matters for home network and Dish dist router for wireless joey.

That's your problem, right there, if you're connecting the Hopper to your internet via WiFi. Comcast routers and gateways are on the incompatible list., You need a 3rd party router, a Hopper Internet Connector or a direct connect via Ethernet

Reactions: charlesrshell
I was having the same issues, much pixelization, constant resets of Hopper, Wireless Joey, and the Dish WAP. After some research online, I wondered if there was conflict between the WOW internet wireless router and the Dish WAP (which are located near each other). I could not find ANY information on the WAP, or what channel it broadcast on, I couldn't find any information available about that piece of equipment.

I took a chance and went into the settings for the WOW wireless router and changed them. It was originally set to select a channel automatically, I manually set it to broadcast on a specific channel (153 I believe). You can download apps that will tell you what WiFi channels have more or less traffic in the area. I used that information to figure out what channel was least used in my area and manually set that as the broadcast channel for the router. After making that change I have had no more issues with pixelization at all, and have not had to do any more resets of any of the equipment.

Reactions: HipKat
I too have been having the pixelation problem with wired Joeys. There is issue with the Hopper3. The OTA dongle is not behind anything and well ventilated but is still hot. If I disconnect the OTA dongle and the pixelation issue is immediately corrected. I am not a tech but ifvptherscarec3xoeriencing the same problem, then it is either a dongle problem or a software issue, none of which I can fix. Throughout all this pixelation problem with Joeys, the Hopper3 operates flawlessly.

Reactions: DJ Lon
I've been having the same problem, but with a regular wired Joey 2, but ONLY on ONE of the H3's. The other H3/Joeys do NOT have this problem. Wouldn't you know it is dear old mom's H3/joey that is the problem child. I just end up rebooting the H3, and that clears it up, but as stated, rebooting is a pain, especially if one was watching something or recording. I posting this because I want Dish to notice more people with this problem.

Something even worse and odd on the previous software (the offending H3 system just got the new software May 26 at 12AM):
The last few nights, the problem system, dear old mom's, while viewing TV would instantly stop video and display the Not Authorized pop-up. Rebooting did not work. So, then, remembering how on very rare occasions, the Joey lose its pairing to an H3, I then accessed the Whole Home screen and NONE of the Joeys nor the H3 showed in the list. The H3 itself operates just fine in this state, and can even see and access MY H3 DVR in another room. Also, IIRC, I believe the MoCA summary showed mom's Joey as UNlinked, but also showing green STRONG MoCA strength. Now that makes NO SENSE. However, the INTERNET screen did show as the H3 not connected to my router.

So, I just Reset the Network and this solved the problem, BUT, It shows the Ethernet connection at the problem H3 as "MoCA" instead of the usual "Ethernet". I have both H3's and all Joeys connected to wired Ethernet. About 24 hours later, the same problem with the same fix of resetting network. I have to see if the same problem occurs now that the offending H3 has the latest software U927.

FWIW, I too, believe this to be a software issue because the other problem of MoCA icon appearing on the TV screen as less than strong makes no sense because the MoCA summary shows green STRONG for all H3's and Joeys and the MoCA details or mom's H3 are all green check-marks for all H3's and Joeys and no problems while the low MoCA icon is displayed, so I figure it is a sofware problem as may others have reported the same MoCA strength icon on their TV's with no problems.

Also, I would think that if it were a physical problem, no amount of resetting the network would fix the problem so immediately. I would expect the problem to still be there. I am deducing that both problems are SOFTWARE related, and not inherent of any problems of the H3, Joeys' or the other hardware and install. Again, I will see if U927 makes a difference.

So, Dish, please fix this. It is so annoying having conflicting information on diagnostic features.

I have been having the pixelization issues on the Wireless Joeys for 2 years, it has gotten incrementally better as I have made adjustments to the system. I changed the wifi channel on the WOW cable router, I then found out the Arris router was an issue in itself, so I connected an ASUS router to it to use as an access point. It helped but was getting some freezing/pixelization intermittently. I then moved the access point to get a better line of site to the upstairs master bedroom so that it didn't have to pass through so many walls (signal went from 50-60 up to 60-70 with that move).

I have called dish several times, this last time was last weekend when it froze and started its "Starting Up 9999", and then "Please wait, refresh in progress" on the Wireless Joey. They are sending a tech Thursday to replace the WJ and possibly the WAP, as this last time all I needed to do was restart the WAP and it worked fine after that. We will see what happens this time.

I've been having the same problem, but with a regular wired Joey 2, but ONLY on ONE of the H3's. The other H3/Joeys do NOT have this problem. Wouldn't you know it is dear old mom's H3/joey that is the problem child. I just end up rebooting the H3, and that clears it up, but as stated, rebooting is a pain, especially if one was watching something or recording. I posting this because I want Dish to notice more people with this problem.

Something even worse and odd on the previous software (the offending H3 system just got the new software May 26 at 12AM):
The last few nights, the problem system, dear old mom's, while viewing TV would instantly stop video and display the Not Authorized pop-up. Rebooting did not work. So, then, remembering how on very rare occasions, the Joey lose its pairing to an H3, I then accessed the Whole Home screen and NONE of the Joeys nor the H3 showed in the list. The H3 itself operates just fine in this state, and can even see and access MY H3 DVR in another room. Also, IIRC, I believe the MoCA summary showed mom's Joey as UNlinked, but also showing green STRONG MoCA strength. Now that makes NO SENSE. However, the INTERNET screen did show as the H3 not connected to my router.

So, I just Reset the Network and this solved the problem, BUT, It shows the Ethernet connection at the problem H3 as "MoCA" instead of the usual "Ethernet". I have both H3's and all Joeys connected to wired Ethernet. About 24 hours later, the same problem with the same fix of resetting network. I have to see if the same problem occurs now that the offending H3 has the latest software U927.

FWIW, I too, believe this to be a software issue because the other problem of MoCA icon appearing on the TV screen as less than strong makes no sense because the MoCA summary shows green STRONG for all H3's and Joeys and the MoCA details or mom's H3 are all green check-marks for all H3's and Joeys and no problems while the low MoCA icon is displayed, so I figure it is a sofware problem as may others have reported the same MoCA strength icon on their TV's with no problems.

Also, I would think that if it were a physical problem, no amount of resetting the network would fix the problem so immediately. I would expect the problem to still be there. I am deducing that both problems are SOFTWARE related, and not inherent of any problems of the H3, Joeys' or the other hardware and install. Again, I will see if U927 makes a difference.

So, Dish, please fix this. It is so annoying having conflicting information on diagnostic features.
OK, as of the latest software U927 (downloaded May 26), there have been no problems with thre Dish Whole Home network every night as described above. It seems U927 fixed this probelm--I hope.

Reactions: TheKrell
If my Sat channels are pixellating on my J3, I find that tuning to an OTA channel (preferably a strong one) then doing a recall usually straightens things out.

The picture on the H3 is stable and I never see problems. It appears to be a MOCA glitch between the H3 and the J3.

Reactions: bspei
I started noticing the pixelation and problems on our 4k joey started right after latest software update. I also notice you can now reboot the hopper 3 from the joey. So it seems that DISH must expect to keep having software problems and their work around is to reset the hopper when you want to watch your joey. My wife is so mad right now. I might just rerun some new coax to my other dish and add a 2nd Wally and take the joey off the account till they get around to fixing the software. So much for whole home viewing.

I started noticing the pixelation and problems on our 4k joey started right after latest software update. I also notice you can now reboot the hopper 3 from the joey. So it seems that DISH must expect to keep having software problems and their work around is to reset the hopper when you want to watch your joey. My wife is so mad right now. I might just rerun some new coax to my other dish and add a 2nd Wally and take the joey off the account till they get around to fixing the software. So much for whole home viewing.
I think the tool to restart the Hopper 3 from the 4KJ has always been there on my 4KJs.

joey piselation again, old subject but still happening to me...Dish replaced hopper and solo interface 2 weeks ago...joey's still pixelate.. Replaced the OTA adapter yesterday and have it on a USB extension, dish channels still pixelate, OTA channels are good. OTA adapter is an AirTV adapter. pixelation seems to happen more when trying to use Dish Anywhere with a PC...

I too have been having the pixelation problem with wired Joeys. There is issue with the Hopper3. The OTA dongle is not behind anything and well ventilated but is still hot. If I disconnect the OTA dongle and the pixelation issue is immediately corrected. I am not a tech but ifvptherscarec3xoeriencing the same problem, then it is either a dongle problem or a software issue, none of which I can fix. Throughout all this pixelation problem with Joeys, the Hopper3 operates flawlessly.

This - exactly my scenario - dongle in front, completely open air, hot, but not dangerously hot compared to other USB or HDMI dongles in similar deployments. Since I added it I have to reboot my Hopper 3 almost daily or my Joeys are pixelated and unusable - nothing is using WiFi, they're MOCA and the Hopper 3 uses wired Ethernet. All the carriage issues forced me to the OTA adapter, now I believe they're pushing me the rest of the way out. I'm sad, because I've been very happy for 10 years and could care less about the monthly fee, it was all about simple and reliable, neither of which are possible now, it would seem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)