Johnny Miller says Woods is now an ordinary professional golfer...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
...who will struggle to beat Jack Nicklaus' 18 victories in the majors. Miller, who tends to make some controversial statements, is spot-on in his analysis in my opinion.

Source

Hall of Famer Johnny Miller says today Tiger Woods is an ordinary professional golfer because struggles in his personal life have taken away his magic putter.

Miller made the comment during an interview at the grand opening of his signature course, Star Valley View, in Afton, where he has a ranch up nearby Crow Creek Canyon on the south end of the valley.

Miller, who lives in Charleston, is the outspoken NBC golf commentator who is unafraid to paint pro golfers with a heavy brush, said Woods could win a tournament the next week or two and has as good as odds as anyone of winning the final major of the year, the PGA Championship at Whistling Straights.

"But right now, he is a very good average pro golfer, and that's not very complimentary to say about him."

Years before Wood's secret life as a serial adulterer surfaced at the beginning of this year, leading to a pending divorce with his wife Elin and mega-million dollar settlement that will likely spike the GNP of his wife's native Sweden, Miller predicted Tiger Woods would struggle to beat Jack Nicklaus' 18 victories in the majors (U.S. Open, Masters, British Open and PGA).

Full Story

Johnny Miller has long been the Barry Goldwater of his profession. He tells you what he thinks. When you agree with it, he seems brilliant. When you don't, you often think, "Is this guy loonie?

In this case, I agree. Putting at the PGA level is something that requires superhuman, singularity of thought, and that is what has been missing in his game since he returned to the tour.

Miller is an idiot. If and when Tiger gets his head back in the game and doesn't have any outside distractions he will win again.

In the rest of the article Miller said that Woods' recent injuries and personal troubles will make it difficult for him to surpass Nicklaus...but not impossible. IMO, the jury is still out and only time will tell. Personally, I don't think Miller was out-of-line with his comments. There are a lot of really good up-and-coming young golfers---including a wave of EU golfers--- Tiger must face. He will have to be in a good mindset and stay healthy in order to win. An interesting fact is that Jack won only four (4) of his record eighteen (18) majors after the age of 35...with one being a miracle comback at age 46. Tiger will be 35 at the end of the year and currently has fourteen (14) major wins. While Johnny Miller often says a lot of stupid things, I don't think this is one of them.

"But right now, he is a very good average pro golfer, and that's not very complimentary to say about him."

And RIGHT NOW, he is absolutely right. RIGHT NOW. But to think he will go by the way of David Duval and disappear from the face of the golf world....that is a WAY too premature. And those comments are to stir up a VERY boring PGA. When Tiger does not win...and there is no conversation of the "next guy to challenge" Tiger..it is as bland as men's tennis. When Tiger is just "ordinary"..which he is now... there is NO "bad guy" to chase.

In the rest of the article Miller said that Woods' recent injuries and personal troubles will make it difficult for him to surpass Nicklaus...but not impossible. IMO, the jury is still out and only time will tell. Personally, I don't think Miller was out-of-line with his comments. There are a lot of really good up-and-coming young golfers---including a wave of EU golfers--- Tiger must face. He will have to be in a good mindset and stay healthy in order to win. An interesting fact is that Jack won only four (4) of his record eighteen (18) majors after the age of 35...with one being a miracle comback at age 46. Tiger will be 35 at the end of the year and currently has fourteen (14) major wins. While Johnny Miller often says a lot of stupid things, I don't think this is one of them.

I agree for the most part with what you are say and I think Miller is ONLY right when he states Tiger's play is just ordinary.

And RIGHT NOW, he is absolutely right. RIGHT NOW. But to think he will go by the way of David Duval and disappear from the face of the golf world....that is a WAY too premature. And those comments are to stir up a VERY boring PGA. When Tiger does not win...and there is no conversation of the "next guy to challenge" Tiger..it is as bland as men's tennis. When Tiger is just "ordinary"..which he is now... there is NO "bad guy" to chase.
Nobody said he will simply disappear a la David Duval (great analogy BTW!)...however, winning 5 more major championships is no longer a given, and there are serious questions regardings Tiger's ability to perform up to his level in the past given his age, injuries and diminished mental capabilities. Of course, perhaps once Tiger bangs a couple of prostitudes after the divorce it will clear both of his heads and he will return to form. Right now that is not a given. The only given is that he is four (4) major champions behind Jack Nicklaus. Only time will tell...

Off-topic comment here, but I'll probably otherwise never have the opportunity to make it. Back when Duval was at his peak, I saw him interviewed on the Charlie Rose show, and I couldn't believe how dull he was. I mean, he made Mike Dukakis seem exciting by comparison. If he had continued to remain at the top of the golf world, it would have reduced the earnings of that sport by hundreds of millions of dollars.

Last edited:
Off-topic comment here, but I'll probably otherwise have the opportunity to make it. Back when Duval was at his peak, I saw him interviewed on the Charlie Rose show, and I couldn't believe how dull he was. I mean, he made Mike Dukakis seem exciting by comparison. If he had continued to remain at the top of the golf world, it would have reduced the earnings of that sport by hundreds of millions of dollars.

And bringing your comments into topic, IF Tiger does not begin to win within a year....then THAT is the boring PGA you will see. Because there are no real characters in the PGA...no one to hate, no one to root against. Just a bunch of nice, bland Phil Mickelsons.

And bringing your comments into topic, IF Tiger does not begin to win within a year....then THAT is the boring PGA you will see. Because there are no real characters in the PGA...no one to hate, no one to root against. Just a bunch of nice, bland Phil Mickelsons.
Hey, I like Phil...he's like drinking a warm glass of milk before bedtime. :D Seriously, I'm not worried...there is an up-and-coming wave of high school and collegiate talent that is going to light a fire in the professional ranks. Ironically, these kids were inspired by Tiger Woods. Go figure!

Hey, I like Phil...he's like drinking a warm glass of milk before bedtime. :D Seriously, I'm not worried...there is an up-and-coming wave of high school and collegiate talent that is going to light a fire in the professional ranks. Ironically, these kids were inspired by Tiger Woods. Go figure!

Warm milk is nice on occassion. But if you do it every day when you are in your 40s, you become lactose intolerant.

Well then he better start winning (or at least finishing up in the money) in some upcoming non-majors real soon. Right now, no one fears Eldrick anymore....

Thats because he's not been in the running ....
Once he's a few strokes back on the last day, watch and see the pressure the leader is under.

Nobody said he will simply disappear a la David Duval (great analogy BTW!)...however, winning 5 more major championships is no longer a given, and there are serious questions regardings Tiger's ability to perform up to his level in the past given his age, injuries and diminished mental capabilities. Of course, perhaps once Tiger bangs a couple of prostitudes after the divorce it will clear both of his heads and he will return to form. Right now that is not a given. The only given is that he is four (4) major champions behind Jack Nicklaus. Only time will tell...

Age, injuries and mental capabilities ?

First of all, Tiger is NOT OLD, particularlly by GOLF standards.

Mental Capabilities ? Like I said, when he's closing in on the leader on the last day, well see how his mental capabilities are , once the pressure moves to the leader, Tiger will reel them in like normal.

Thats because he's not been in the running ....
Once he's a few strokes back on the last day, watch and see the pressure the leader is under.
Exactly!!

He's gotta start playing better in the non-majors first, because until he hasn't "been in the running" for a while now. It's not going to happen overnight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)