Johnny Miller says Woods is now an ordinary professional golfer...

I honestly think Tiger should have taken AT LEAST half a year off to let ALL personal matters settle. BUT his ego would not let him and this is the end result....mediocre play.

I think Miller will look like a A-hole, which he is, when Tiger wins the PGA at Whistling Straits, which I think he will.
HE didnty say he would never win again. Tiger will have the same chance as everyone else.No more no less. Hell at this point he struggles to make the cuts.:rolleyes:

Age, injuries and mental capabilities ?

First of all, Tiger is NOT OLD, particularlly by GOLF standards.

Mental Capabilities ? Like I said, when he's closing in on the leader on the last day, well see how his mental capabilities are , once the pressure moves to the leader, Tiger will reel them in like normal.
Although 40 may not be too old to golf, the data suggests it is too old to golf well and win on a consistent basis on the PGA Tour. That's probably why there is a Senior Tour. Moreover, winning a major event is even more difficult after age 40. I recall reading an article that stated the average tour player's career went downhill quickly after age 35. However, I must admit the top-players seem to be competitive until around age 40. I'll be darned if I can find any stats on age and tour victories, but here is what I found about this years PGA Tour winners:

35 Events (played so far)

Winners in Twenties = 13
Winners in Thirties = 18
Winners in Fourties = 4 (2 events each won by Stricker and Els)

As you can see, only 11.4% of the events were won by players over 40. I don't know if this year is above or below average, but it seems to be right on-par to me. It also seem to be much more difficult for players 40+ to win a major, but I cannot locate any compiled statistics on the subect... and I certainlty don't have any time to do it. Still, I would be very interesting in finding this out. Note, while there is a graduate increase in tour wins between the 20s and 30s, there is a severe drop-off from the 30s and 40s group. For all statistical purposes, by the time you've reached 45 you're just waiting around to reach 50 so you can play on the senior tour.

As far as injuries and clear mental focus...these issues have been documented and they are great fodder for debate. Some say that Tiger is on his last leg and that his lost self-esteem will never be found - others disagree. We shall see. Offhand, the only thing I see Tiger feeling in is a couple of bar hooks after his divorce is granted and he is outside of cameras and microphones.

Last edited:
HE didnty say he would never win again. Tiger will have the same chance as everyone else.No more no less. Hell at this point he struggles to make the cuts.:rolleyes:
I agree...folks need to read the full article because Miller doesn't say Tiger will not win...just that's he look like an average tour golfer and that his surpassing Jack Nicklaus as the greater golfer of all time is now in question.

Although 40 may not be too old to golf, the data suggests it is too old to golf well and win on a consistent basis on the PGA Tour. That's probably why there is a Senior Tour. Moreover, winning a major event is even more difficult after age 40. I recall reading an article that stated the average tour player's career went downhill quickly after age 35. However, I must admit the top-players seem to be competitive until around age 40. I'll be darned if I can find any stats on age and tour victories, but here is what I found about this years PGA Tour winners:

35 Events (played so far)

Winners in Twenties = 13
Winners in Thirties = 18
Winners in Fourties = 4 (2 events each won by Stricker and Els)

As you can see, only 11.4% of the events were won by players over 40. I don't know if this year is above or below average, but it seems to be right on-par to me. It also seem to be much more difficult for players 40+ to win a major, but I cannot locate any compiled statistics on the subect... and I certainlty don't have any time to do it. Still, I would be very interesting in finding this out. Note, while there is a graduate increase in tour wins between the 20s and 30s, there is a severe drop-off from the 30s and 40s group. For all statistical purposes, by the time you've reached 45 you're just waiting around to reach 50 so you can play on the senior tour.

As far as injuries and clear mental focus...these issues have been documented and they are great fodder for debate. Some say that Tiger is on his last leg and that his lost self-esteem will never be found - others disagree. We shall see. Offhand, the only thing I see Tiger feeling in is a couple of bar hooks after his divorce is granted and he is outside of cameras and microphones.

How old is Tiger ?
Gotta be in his early- mid 30's ?

How old is Tiger ?
Gotta be in his early- mid 30's ?
He'll be 35 this year. Some of the games greatest golfers have had productive years in their mid-thirties - if they escaped injury. Even some of the close-buy-no-cigar types manage a big tour win or two at this stage of their careers. The only point I am going to make is that Tiger will need to win five majors in the next five years if he going to surpass Jack. Assuming he doesn't win the PGA in two weeks, Tiger will have won four (4) majors in the past five (5) seasons.

He'll be 35 this year. Some of the games greatest golfers have their stellar years in the mid-thirties if they can escape injury. Even some of the close-buy-no-cigar types manage a big win or two at this stage of their careers. The only point I am going to make is that Tiger will need to win five majors in the next five years if he going to surpass Jack. Assuming he doesn't win the PGA in two weeks, Tiger will have won four (4) majors in the past five (5) seasons.

Is that his Legacy ?
IF he doesn't pass Jack, he's considered a failure ?

Jim,
I get the feeling that most here are rooting against him, of course there will always be those against him, but that happened before all this stuff came down.

Now seeing he made Jacks records a priority, if he doesn't make it, will he have failed over all in his career ?

As you mentioned, he's going into the past his prime side of his career.

I personally hope he gets it back together and starts to dominate again.

I personally think there was alot of jealousy and envy about what he was doing, and now those same people are enjoying it with great glee. In golf, like life....you need someone to root against.

I am rooting for the bad guy to win the 4 or 5 and give everyone the finger with his play.

Jim,
I get the feeling that most here are rooting against him, of course there will always be those against him, but that happened before all this stuff came down.

Now seeing he made Jacks records a priority, if he doesn't make it, will he have failed over all in his career ?

As you mentioned, he's going into the past his prime side of his career.

It's a tough call...but here is my opinion. Will his career be deemed a failure should he fail to surpass Jack in major victories? No - he will certainly be considered one of the greatest to have ever played the game; yes - in that people will always question his judgment along with the effect those poor decisions had on his career. The only thing that matters is how Tiger Woods will judge his career if he doesn't beat Jack. Rest assured Mr. Woods still has a huge ego and will certainly consider it to be his biggest failure (a LOT bigger than his failed marriage). As far as the majority here rooting against him...perhaps, but the public doesn't seem to have lost too much enthusiasm for T. Woods. To be honest, he hasn't done many favorable things to win back fan support...but they love him anyway.

I personally think there was alot of jealousy and envy about what he was doing, and now those same people are enjoying it with great glee. In golf, like life....you need someone to root against.

I am rooting for the bad guy to win the 4 or 5 and give everyone the finger with his play.
I simply feel that Tiger has shown the world that he is an incredible dick. There is nothing of substance to root for until he changes his narcissistic attitude and entitlement routine. To be honest, Tiger should contact Charlie Sheen for career advice...nobody screws up for more often than Sheen, yet everybody loves Charlie Waffles. ;)

I simply feel that Tiger has shown the world that he is an incredible dick. There is nothing of substance to root for until he changes his narcissistic attitude and entitlement routine. To be honest, Tiger should contact Charlie Sheen for career advice...nobody screws up for more often than Sheen, yet everybody loves Charlie Waffles. ;)

Oh come on, you are sounding as if Tiger is the ONLY athlete to EVER be a narcissist. Most if not ALL professional athletes HAVE TO be narcissistic to be at the top athlete in his/her field. The ONLY difference between him and any other top athlete is that he got caught. That is it. He is NO MORE of a dick than Michael Jordan, Lebron James, T.O., A-Rod, Floyd Mayweather, Randy Moss, Dan Marino, Reggie Jackson, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Joe DiMaggio...and the list goes on and on and on. ALL those guys, other than being major dicks, were ALSO champions for the most part and the best in the sport at one point or another. And please do not give me this bull**** about naming OTHER athletes that WEREN'T dicks because neither YOU, ME nor most of anyone ELSE in here know enough athletes personally and when the camera is not in their face to really know if they weren't dicks. So people can show their normal self when the camera is on...and some put on a show.

Oh come on, you are sounding as if Tiger is the ONLY athlete to EVER be a narcissist. Most if not ALL professional athletes HAVE TO be narcissistic to be at the top athlete in his/her field. The ONLY difference between him and any other top athlete is that he got caught. That is it. He is NO MORE of a dick than Michael Jordan, Lebron James, T.O., A-Rod, Floyd Mayweather, Randy Moss, Dan Marino, Reggie Jackson, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Joe DiMaggio...and the list goes on and on and on. ALL those guys, other than being major dicks, were ALSO champions for the most part and the best in the sport at one point or another. And please do not give me this bull**** about naming OTHER athletes that WEREN'T dicks because neither YOU, ME nor most of anyone ELSE in here know enough athletes personally and when the camera is not in their face to really know if they weren't dicks. So people can show their normal self when the camera is on...and some put on a show.

So according to this logic you are able to announce the athletes you named are dicks, because of what you see in front of the camera...even though you have no idea what they're like in real life.

But according to you nobody else is allowed to name any athletes who are not dicks in front of the camera...because who knows, they MAY be dicks in real life.

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Quite the double standard. You can't have it both ways.

Sandra

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts