This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Awesome PPD numbers! I see the GTX 560 is one of the last cards that supports PCIe 2.0 and is old enough that the price isn't too bad. Too bad I can't find the GTX 560 Ti version for under $200. I'm not sure spending $160 to maybe double the PPD out of this workstation is cost-effective.

I'm out of commission for the next few days until I get my Internet back. Time to shut down my Mac Pro which has been Folding pretty much non-stop for the last six years (except for a power outage here and there).

I got my Folders back online Friday, so 25 million Points, her I come!

Ouch! When the core 17 advanced projects stop coming, the gpu points drop dramatically.

Do I need to get back to reading the Folding Forums? Your post sounds rather ominous...

Merry Christmas to all fellow "Folders".
Fold on, Sting.

Wayne: Fold on, Garth.

Merry Christmas to All the Folders who still use spare compute power to cure disease and not mine some fiat cybercoin.

So, is our folding team going to kick it in high gear in 2014? I bought 2 Evga GTX 660's that average 46k each per day so that is why my ppd has skyrocketed.

Happy New Year to all.

So, is our folding team going to kick it in high gear in 2014? I bought 2 Evga GTX 660's that average 46k each per day so that is why my ppd has skyrocketed.

Happy New Year to all.

I still have a machine plodding along... I see the team as slipped quite a bit in rankings.

sorry been out of pocket for a while. im just basic entry will have to hunt up links on maybe sprucing up the old box for F@H

Geforce 9800 GT
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz
6gb ram
64 bit Windows (Vista) sp2

anything i need to know tips wise to run fast & smooth
thanks

Welcome to the Fold, gabshere and ComcastOrge! March marked my seventh year Folding for SatelliteGuys.

gabshere, I have a 9800 GTX card in my one XP box downstairs. The new Windows Client makes it a snap to set up two Folding clients, one for your GPU and one one for your Q6600 CPU. You should be able to generate 5,000-8,000 Points per Day with that setup. It may take 10 Work Units on the CPU client before you see full credit, however, so let it run a week or so before you look at your daily numbers. Also, make sure you have the current NVIDIA drivers. Finally, a can of compressed air to clean the heatsinks because Folding wil keep your fans going.

Reactions: Scorpion.sting
I installed this a few weeks ago, and noticed it's always on "Paused: waiting for idle" on my GPU. It's probably the oldest part of my computer, a GeForce 9600 GT. Could the card actually be old enough to NOT run folding@home? Even when I right-click and choose "Fold" nothing happens, it just sits waiting for idle.

At least the CPU is contributing a little something (not much, but more than nothing).

kitthas1000legs, check your logs. The 9600 may not generate a lot of Points, but it should still be good enough to do science. Check out the Folding Forum (http://foldingforum.org) and see if there are other people with a similar problem. I looked at the Stanford GPU WhiteList and see the 9600 listed, so you should be good to go in that regards.

Edit: a quick search of the FoldingForum with your "Paused, waiting for idle" message yielded this: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=25787&p=260481&hilit=Paused:+waiting+for+idle#p260484 It looks like you picked the screensaver option for the GPU client?

Thanks, when it get's a steady diet of stable core 17's my little GTX760 hums right along.

It looks like the 9800GTX card is no longer getting work. I should probably check, but this may be the last straw. I need to replace my Mac Pro which has been running the FAH software since Scott first announced it to us back in early 2007. When I do, I won't be installing FAH on the new Macintosh.

That will leave me with just the multi-core Xeon that was also powering the GPU client. Maybe I'll find a deal on a PCI-e graphics card that will let it boost my PPD, but I think I'll just be producing a trickle of my former production.

I would look for a Geforce GTX 750 TI. This baby will crank out the points and doesn't require a 6-pin power connector.