Just defected to DirecTv from Dish

Why do you pay extra for broadband? It's only internet. Just use dial up. :rolleyes:

Thank you, exactly!

We could all live in mud huts and eat grass if we really wanted to. We all choose to have some type of luxuries that we could certainly live without. TV is just one of many.

I am not defecting but adding Direct like many of you have. It is not only the hd channles or lack there of (because I really do believe Dish will increase it's numbers over the next two months). These two companys are so different and I wanted both technologies to work for me. The online scheduler that Direct has and the Direct on demand is a very good selling point.

BTW. My Direct installer is here so I need to let him in.;)

Three is only allowed if one of the recordings is a VoD.

Can someone else please confirm this? If this is true, then I have no reason to run a third cable during my upcoming install. The only reason I would care about recording OTA (with the upcoming external box) is if it would increase my simultaneous recordings from 2 to 3. I am assuming the reason you say VOD is allowed is because it is coming from the Internet anyway, and not one of the tuners.

The Dish 722 allows you to record three shows at once. Two shows on satellite and one OTA. Does DirecTV's receiver allow this? I was under the impression that the DirecTV receiver only allows you to record two shows at the same time.

True.. But can you record TWO OTA's at the same time on your Dish 722.. You can on the HR20.. So it's all relative to what you want and need.. Most of my recordings come from OTA.. So it's nice being able to record two at once.. We don't get them over satellite here.. So all HD locals I have are OTA..

The third recording does NOT have to be VoD (Video on Demand). We frequently record 2 programs via the satellite feed and then one via the OTA (Over the Air Antenna) so that we can see a 3rd Network program while record the sat stuff.

Geoff
If you're doing this with a DirecTV HR20 or HR21 DVR then you are the only person in the world that is doing this. You can watch something that has been recorded previously while recording two other channels but you can't do three recordings of channels DBS or OTA at the same time.

If you're doing this with a DirecTV HR20 or HR21 DVR then you are the only person in the world that is doing this. You can watch something that has been recorded previously while recording two other channels but you can't do three recordings of channels DBS or OTA at the same time.
Sorry, from the post I replied to, I thought the poster was talking about the 722.

Geoff

I'm giving thought to switching from E* to D*. What is the process as far as my current E* equipment? I understand I'll be returning the 622 to Dish... what about the two dishes on my roof? Would the D* installer remove those, and use the existing coax runs from the roof?

Just curious about the logistics. Thanks.

Mike

True.. But can you record TWO OTA's at the same time on your Dish 722.. You can on the HR20.. So it's all relative to what you want and need.. Most of my recordings come from OTA.. So it's nice being able to record two at once.. We don't get them over satellite here.. So all HD locals I have are OTA..
You can't record two OTAs at the same time, but I sometimes run into a situation where three shows are broadcast at the same time (e.g. 8:00pm). Typically for me, at least one of those shows is on one of the main channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX). With the 722, I'm able to accommodate that situation.

Even when two (or three) shows are on the main broadcast channels, the 722 can handle that. It doesn't bother me that only one show would be recorded from the OTA. It does bother me when I completely miss the show because of the two tuner limitation.

You can't record two OTAs at the same time, but I sometimes run into a situation where three shows are broadcast at the same time (e.g. 8:00pm). Typically for me, at least one of those shows is on one of the main channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX). With the 722, I'm able to accommodate that situation.

Even when two (or three) shows are on the main broadcast channels, the 722 can handle that. It doesn't bother me that only one show would be recorded from the OTA. It does bother me when I completely miss the show because of the two tuner limitation.

I concur with you. I am recording three programs at the same time on two of my DVRs several times a week. I have gotten too spoiled. I could never switch to a HR20 or HR21.

I concur with you. I am recording three programs at the same time on two of my DVRs several times a week. I have gotten too spoiled. I could never switch to a HR20 or HR21.

The flip side for me is that I can only record one network program in HD at a time. Still no locals in Cleveland.

I believe E* and D* are both working on network viewing in their DVRs. Once they have that, your only limit is the number of DVRs you have.

Switched this morning. Gonna wait until the D* stuff is installed and working before I call E* to cancel, which will be sometime Monday PM. Can't take the lack of HD and the empty promises on E* any longer. D* has 'em now, I want 'em now, I'm gonna get 'em now (Monday :D).

An easy workaround is if you do have 3 shows at 1 time, as long as 1 of them is on a cable channel, usually it will be repeated 3 or 4 hours later. So on the HR2x, just have your network shows be higher priority, then the cable show will not be recorded at its first airing, but it will be recorded at its next recording. I do this a lot on my HR20.

For example, last fall on Monday nights at 8 was Chuck (NBC), Big Bang Theory (CBS) and Little People, Big World (TLC). I just made sure both Chuck and BBT were higher priority than Little People, then it would not record Little People at 8, but would record it at 11 when it was repeated. This solution will not work if all 3 shows are network shows though.

Yes the HR21's slow remote response is the only complaint we have now, more so with the wife, I am not that impatient. But she mastered our 622's before so I don't blame her.

Everything else has so far exceeded our expectation.

Just received an HR20 to replace one of our HR21's because we need OTA capability at least on one TV, and noticed the HR20 menu and guide are just as fast as our previous 622's.

I hope the slowness of the HR21's is only temporary.

The ability of 622 and 722 to record up to three live shows has always been a plus, fortunately most my wife's recordings are OTA so being able to record two OTA's at the same time will offset the DISH DVR advantage.

Having Both E and D

I have Dish with a 722 and 222 and America's everything pack with locals plus HD ultimate. Costs a fortune. Around $130.00 with no credits. Thinking about adding Direct. Tired of waiting on new HD. I have to keep my Dish programming at a certain level because I still have 12 months left on my two year contract. What recommendations do you all have for both Dish and Direct to get the most HD, but not spend more than $140 on both and meet my contract for Dish. Should I just keep Dish and wait it out or go for both. Only problem will be losing HBO HD, Cinemax HD, etc., on both to meet price I need.Any help would be appreciated.

The flip side for me is that I can only record one network program in HD at a time. Still no locals in Cleveland.

I believe E* and D* are both working on network viewing in their DVRs. Once they have that, your only limit is the number of DVRs you have.

What do you mean you can only record one network program in HD at a time?