JUST FOUND ME A BRAND NEW 9 FOOT RADIO SHACK C BAND SYSTEM WITH EVERYTHING!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fta4life

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Beaumont,Texas
I have been looking for a c band dish for a while now and stumbled accross this Radio Shack 9 foot c band system that was sold in the mid to late 90's!!

It comes with

Dish panels for 9 foot mesh dish

Memorex sr 2014 satellite receiver

a horizontal to horizontal mount

100' ribbon cable with 4 wires and 1 coax

lnb and feedhorn, dont know if it is c/ku or just c band

4'6" pole that is designed for a concrete mount

I found a gentleman who is selling me all this for $100 with a local pickup towards the end of the week!

Everything is still new in the box, he sent me all the pics and it looks amazing!

I am planning on running the wires into the memorex to use it as the mover for the dish and then running a jumper out to my GeosatPro Micro hd until I buy a v box.

The only thing I am looking at now is trees and line of site.

In my backyard I have tons of trees which sucks being that with a h-h motor I heard you can get like 140 degrees of arc!!! sad face... But there is some areas where I think I can get at least 72-121 or so of the arc and want to make sure before I concrete this baby in the ground. If this were a 3 foot ku dish no problem I could hold it up and sweep the arc to see if I get anything but with a big dish like this what would be a good temporary way to be able to move the dish around to the best spot in the yard so I could decide where to concrete the pole at? Would it temporarly be able to be bolted to a pallet with cinder blocks on top of the pallet? Have any of you ever had a temp solution to be able to move the dish around to its best spot? If I had a chainsaw I would just start whacking down limbs but I dont. lol

Any solutions guys? Thanks

Nice find! Do you have a brother or uncle with a chainsaw, that would cut some trees for a case of beer? :)

On a serious note, I have seen, where people have built wood mounts out of 2x4s and then use still steaks to nail it to the ground with some bags of concrete for counter weights. I would not want to use this for a permanent solution, but it would work in your case.

First though I would get a good Satellite app for your smart phone or borrow someones and walk around in the yard looking for the best spot. That would save you a lot of time and money. Dishpointer makes a great app.

If you - like me - don't have a smartphone, use a dial angle finder and a small laser level. Your true south for Beaumont is G3C (95w) and the elevation is 54.9 degrees. Check dishpointer.com for other satellite elevations and do a sweep of the sky after dark (be sure there are no planes in the sky!) to see what may be blocking incoming signals.

Joe, ... Your background info. Says you are a surveyor. Abscond with a transit for the weekend and set it up at different points in the yard and then get yourself a list of the satellites with elevation and azimuth for your location. It will be very accurate. You will even know which trees to cut or top.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

That sounds the same as my dish. Great find, great dish, I love mine! Mine too was brand new in boxes, never used, here's a few pictures.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 883
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 863
  • Dish pieces.JPG
    Dish pieces.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 617
Wow Santa came early, what a deal. I remember those being in the stores back then, but I already had a 10' system up and running and didn't see a need for another one (then).
Wonder how many more of those are still socked away someplace in the box, waiting for daylight.

Iceberg what did they sell for back then? If you remember, it seems to me they were well over $1000 for the system..

Iceberg what did they sell for back then? If you remember, it seems to me they were well over $1000 for the system..

according to the old catalogs
799.99 for the receiver
1299.99 for the dish

so WELL over a grand ;)

the 5 footer was about a grand...and only aimed at G5

I've posted the link a few time but here is a site that has the old catalogs
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html

The 94 catalog its on pages 48 & 49
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1994/

In 95 it was "down" to 799.99 (5 foot) and 1995.00 (9 foot) because something "new" was arriving...for a whole $700.....yup DirecTV

Thanks, I was off in my estimations lol. But, considering I saw a brand new SAMI 10' about 3yrs ago somewhere on the web, and it was $1500 plus shipping, guess that wasn't so much!

well I picked her up today from the previous owner. The guy was all class and he kept this stuff in awesome condition! I plugged in the lnb first thing to my metet and it worked flawlessly and had never even had the little cap protector taken off til now! Amazing for something 16 or so years old, still shiny like it just came off the shelf.

Anyhow I got home, emptied of the vehicle and here is what I have

20131121_154219.jpg20131121_155043.jpg20131121_155346.jpg.20131121_153938.jpg20131121_153954.jpg

Check out that H-H mount!! That makes me wanna go whack down every tree in my back yard cause I heard that thing can swing 140 degrees!! Also for laughs a satellite alarm, never seen or heard of that before.

Well I got the hole dug out back, ran the 100 ft of ribbon cable and used my satfinder app and the best spot it looked like I will be able to pick up from around 83-107.3. If I can take down a branch or three I may be able to get 72-113 or so, I know I hate having a h-h motor and not being able to see all the sats out there, but for now I will be satisfied.

On other notes I opened up the memorex sr-2014 and cant believe it, the dad gum thing wont power up!!! It had never been taken out of the plastic and I tried and tried and even checked for an on/off switch like some recievers have and it doesnt have one. I opened her up and their was power going through the boards but it just would power up, tried remote and it wouldnt power up so maybe I will try to find me another analog reciever to run the motor and slave it to my Microhd.

Well tomorrow morning will be the concrete session, I wanted so bad to do it today but didnt get to the whole til 30 mins before dark and figured i didnt want to have the pole set tonight and possibly move a bit while drying, I will do it tomorrow and check it all day throughout while I dig my trench for the cable and start putting together the dish.

I have a few C-band/ Ku-band Ird's if you want to try it out. I have a new Drake 1824 that I use, so I have some to spare.
Have a uniden set-up with actuator control box you can have.

Before you set this pole in cement, review the C-band channels on the available satellites. You may be able to see satellites in this clearing, but do they have the channels you want to watch or listen to? Personally, I would favor the west end of the arc for my taste! Any other clearing options?

yeah no luck, no matter where i go in the yard the farthest west is around 119, and the farthest east is 72. either way it looks like I can only get 20-24 degrees total which is ok until i get a chainsaw.

Yup, that's the same as my dish. Your receiver is different though, think yours is newer, mine is a SR2012. Funny, my receiver didn't work either, it would power up but was very inconsistent in how it moved the dish. I got a V-Box 7 and it's working great with my dish.

If you didn't get the manuals with yours I've got them and can scan pages for you, if you need it. Mine was a breeze to put together, there's a manual crank that you can turn the mount with before you install the motor so you can turn the dish whichever way you want to when you're assembling it.

On mine, the worm gear block was way off from where it should've been, in my manual on page 17 it says to check this and how to adjust it. I'd check yours if it's like mine, on mine the rack gear is plastic and the worm gear is metal, if I hadn't of checked it, it probably would've wiped out the rack gear real quick. I really like my dish, think you'll be real happy with yours!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts