Just ordered HR24

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Jimbo, I'll know better when I try mine, it is a basic internal 1500gb seagate.

Back when the 750gb Seagate Freeagent Pro drives came out they wouldn't work with HR20s, unless they were formatted by the HR21. Took me a long time to figure that out, and I owned two of them.

It would not suprise me if there was something unique in the Seagate external freeagent controller causing a problem, like it did before. You may try hooking it to a computer and low-level format, delete all partitions. Then try the HR24 again. Could be it is just erasing it instead of repartitioning it? Not sure, but something easy to try.

Nice review Rey. One question I have about changing channels. You say the changing channels are faster but are you using native resolution or not. If you aren't, can you try using native and see how fast it is.

I would like to get a HR24 but I just spent some money on getting a 3rd HR2x and a Disney trip coming up later this year, I don't think I could convince the wife to spend the money on another box.

Now when I get my DECA setup installed on June 2nd, if they want to replace my HR20-700 with a HR24, I wouldn't complain. :D

Hey bud. I don't use native mode. I've always hated the way that works.but I just tried it and from what I remember with the hr21 its faster with the hr24. I always have it set at 1080i and screen format at pillar box so it never stretches the sd channels.

Ps. I just did a comparison with my hr20-700 and yes it is faster but I would never use this.

If native is on, the DVR has to switch it's output resolution based on the channel you're switching to. With nation off, the DVR always outputs the resolution you've manually selected. When changing from one 1080i to another 1080i, the change is normal. But if you go from 1080i to 720p there is extra wait time for the DVR to switch it's output resolution.

With Native off, the chip would just set itself to display the one resolution, so there is no switching. Id think the delay with Native on is, the unit detects the input resolution of the channel, then sets it self to output the same. Jumping around from 720p to 1080i causes this switching delay. Ive also found leaving 480p off helps.

Thanks guys, I've always UnChecked the 480 stuff as well.

No they don't support EHD's.

What model are you using, I have a 1.5TB Seagate too that I plan to put in an Antec MX1 case for my HR24 next week after my DECA upgrade. I'm very curious to hear what drive isn't working for you, out of fear essentailly :(

Jimbo, I'll know better when I try mine, it is a basic internal 1500gb seagate.

Back when the 750gb Seagate Freeagent Pro drives came out they wouldn't work with HR20s, unless they were formatted by the HR21. Took me a long time to figure that out, and I owned two of them.

It would not suprise me if there was something unique in the Seagate external freeagent controller causing a problem, like it did before. You may try hooking it to a computer and low-level format, delete all partitions. Then try the HR24 again. Could be it is just erasing it instead of repartitioning it? Not sure, but something easy to try.

Jason,
Thanks for the idea !!!!

This morning, I decided to try the Seagate one more time ...
Ran thru the process on the HR24 again, No go, like the others.

So, I thought, lets hook it back up to the HR20, and of course it worked, no problem .....
Then I disconnected it and set ut up on the HR24 again (making very sure that the HR24 was unplugged and spun down.)
Then I hooked up the Seagate and plugged in the HR24 and went thru the process again ... of course I got the error message again, telling me to report it and that I should reboot as it might fix the error.

Previous attempts it would just hang on Step 1 of 2 when going thru it's reboot ... It would stay there about 15 minutes and I would give up on it.

Well this last time I did hang for a bit, BUT to my SURPRISE, It went thru and is now working.

And to further surprise me, my Series Links that I had set up on the HR24 last night, WERE transferred to the Seagate ......

I am sorry, in one respect, I told someone yesterday that I didn't think it would remember the Series link till newer models came out ....

I was WRONG .... :eek:

I am wondering if the reason it hung when doing the set up was due to the fact that it might have to run thru the whole 1.5 TB disc, before it can continue ... I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not.

None the less, I have everything working on my set up the I had before !

I also while I was making the switch changed out my Slimline with the SWM set up that I had bought previously, just never had time to make the changes.

Moral of the story,
DON'T GIVE UP :up:up:up:up :D:D:D:D

Thanks goes out to all you guy's that answered questions the other day while I was working on all this.

This way I learned as I went and can now pass along the info to others as they adventure into newer D* products.

I have always tried to give advice to those that ask , but usually only on things that I gave actually worked on !

Jimbo

Glad you got it working. It wouldn't suprise me if it was formatting the drive or something and you just rebooted it during that process.

If native is on, the DVR has to switch it's output resolution based on the channel you're switching to. With nation off, the DVR always outputs the resolution you've manually selected. When changing from one 1080i to another 1080i, the change is normal. But if you go from 1080i to 720p there is extra wait time for the DVR to switch it's output resolution.

I may be wrong but I believe it is your display that is changing resolution and it is the HDMI handshake that is causing the issues not the STB.

Jason,
Thanks for the idea !!!!

This morning, I decided to try the Seagate one more time ...
Ran thru the process on the HR24 again, No go, like the others.

So, I thought, lets hook it back up to the HR20, and of course it worked, no problem .....
Then I disconnected it and set ut up on the HR24 again (making very sure that the HR24 was unplugged and spun down.)
Then I hooked up the Seagate and plugged in the HR24 and went thru the process again ... of course I got the error message again, telling me to report it and that I should reboot as it might fix the error.

Previous attempts it would just hang on Step 1 of 2 when going thru it's reboot ... It would stay there about 15 minutes and I would give up on it.

Well this last time I did hang for a bit, BUT to my SURPRISE, It went thru and is now working.

And to further surprise me, my Series Links that I had set up on the HR24 last night, WERE transferred to the Seagate ......

I am sorry, in one respect, I told someone yesterday that I didn't think it would remember the Series link till newer models came out ....

I was WRONG .... :eek:

I am wondering if the reason it hung when doing the set up was due to the fact that it might have to run thru the whole 1.5 TB disc, before it can continue ... I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not.

None the less, I have everything working on my set up the I had before !

I also while I was making the switch changed out my Slimline with the SWM set up that I had bought previously, just never had time to make the changes.

Moral of the story,
DON'T GIVE UP :up:up:up:up :D:D:D:D

Thanks goes out to all you guy's that answered questions the other day while I was working on all this.

This way I learned as I went and can now pass along the info to others as they adventure into newer D* products.

I have always tried to give advice to those that ask , but usually only on things that I gave actually worked on !

Jimbo

See Jim it does work, like it did for me with a 2TB :D

may i add that with the harmony remote its just a tad slower when you compare it with the remote the HR24 comes with. the harmony can't completely keep up with the speed of this dvr!!! :D:D mine is an 880. maybe the harmony one is even better.

For all you happy HR24 owners (leaser's) ....
Are you set up on the SWM or the Slimline ?

Mine are set up on SWM and the new one I'm hoping to get will be on a Slimline.

You CAN set these up on a regular Slimline or less, right ?

I know they were designed for the SWM, but not everyone has SWM yet.

Just want to see if anyone has thiers on something other than a SWM.

Just got my AM-21 today so I hooked up the HR24 from Overstock. I am on the Slimeline AU9 dish currently. It is working great with my B-Band converters off my HR20. Even though my MRV is working great on my network I want to upgrade to SWM so I can free up some cables to push my antenna signal throughout the house. So I called DirecTV to add the HR24 to my account and upgraded to DECA SWiM. They gave me a free H2X to replace my HR10-250 and free DECA equipment, so it was worth it vs. buying the SWM LNB myself. They will be here on Saturday to hook it up....

On a side note......I am loving the HR24 and AM21. Looks good, it's fast, way faster than my HR21 (which I am giving to my kids)......so all is good!

SMW5 .. no longer use normal Slimline LNBs

So, Can I hook up a HR24 to a Slimline dish set up ?

Thanks Wild Bill you answered my question :up

I had a SWM burn up a H20 today, I tried to hook my H20 back up to a Slimline and it would not work.

Called D* figured that I would upgrade to another HR24 while I was replacing defective stuff ....

I ended up paying for a HR24 and a AM 21, protection plan only works on replacements and they pretty much would not budge on price, for that matter I really don't know if I'll get a HR24 from them, just luck of the draw. I will refuse shipment if it's not.

I was seriously hoping , seeing I have the PP that seeing a H20 is $ 99 and a HR24 is $ 199 that they would credit me the difference ($ 100) .... No go.

Last edited:
I have a thread I started that no one seems to know about I guess, so I'll ask it here too.

Has any one had trouble going back from a SWiM to a Slimline ?

I had a recvr not like it tonight and had to fight with D* to do an upgrade, still don't know the out come as they are having trouble with the AM21 order procedures tonight.
Awaiting her call back in the next 24 hours.

I was expecting to be using the existing equipment this weekend at the campground.

I have a thread I started that no one seems to know about I guess, so I'll ask it here too.

Has any one had trouble going back from a SWiM to a Slimline ?

I had a recvr not like it tonight and had to fight with D* to do an upgrade, still don't know the out come as they are having trouble with the AM21 order procedures tonight.
Awaiting her call back in the next 24 hours.

I was expecting to be using the existing equipment this weekend at the campground.

I responded to your other thread.....are you using a community dish at the "campground?" Is it working for anyone else?

I responded to your other thread.....are you using a community dish at the "campground?" Is it working for anyone else?

It's working fine ... :)
and it goes directvly from the Slimline LNB to the recvr.

I know the signal is getting there as it's been used recently and this afternoon I downloaded new software for the H20 and it completed the D/L.

I understand the HR24 does not have an OTA tuner but is there anyway to have your OTA channels added to your guide on your HR24 or will I have to switch my tv tuner from Sat to OTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)