Kijiji, eBay, and Craigslist dishes for you to take a look at

yeah, looks like it bolted down. (Yup, just looked at the ad) Tie rope to it, off to pickup, remove bolts and back up slowly(?)
Maybe reset the actuator so the dish is aimed 'this' way, and run the rope over the house(?)
A saddle on the peak of the house for a pulley affair. (so as to not damage the roof)
When the pole holes, on the house side are 'free', bolt chains up there run to anchors further away of the house to prevent it from 'kicking back'.(?)
That's the hard way^.^ Boom truck, lift it off is the easy way. The pole will then come down in a minute with the boom truck. Should be about a half hour rental if all the prep work is done before it's arrival.
(My best guess) Dish is either a 'rebadged' Prodelin or a Channel Master. (and it may be a 4 meter)

Portable Dish:
https://smd.craigslist.org/ele/5315543188.html

00O0O_2hZtyxEdA3q_600x450.jpg

Went to have a look at this one. Not sure how to get anything into their yard other than using a very large telescoping bucket truck or crane. No room in between the trees in the yard and it is a small back yard. Looks like a nice dish though. Fellow said he had a bucket truck to install it originally, and was able to back it up almost to the house in the mid to late 80's. Since then trees have grown up and fences installed... Property damage would be the main concern here. Best left up to the professionals. I am guessing at least $500 or more. If I was sure the dish IS in good condition I would offer to go halfers for the removal cost if it can be taken down without damage, but that's getting risky for an almost 30 year old dish...

IMG_3666 (Small).JPG

yeah, looks like it bolted down. (Yup, just looked at the ad) Tie rope to it, off to pickup, remove bolts and back up slowly(?)
Maybe reset the actuator so the dish is aimed 'this' way, and run the rope over the house(?)
A saddle on the peak of the house for a pulley affair. (so as to not damage the roof)
When the pole holes, on the house side are 'free', bolt chains up there run to anchors further away of the house to prevent it from 'kicking back'.(?)
That's the hard w ay^.^ Boom truck, lift it off is the easy way. The pole will then come down in a minute with the boom truck. Should be about a half hour rental if all the prep work is done before it's arrival.
(My best guess) Dish is either a 'rebadged' Prodelin or a Channel Master. (and it may be a 4 meter)

Saw the pole almost all the way through and ease it down to rest on the backside?
Rope in front and back, 2 people.

Last edited:
Fred, Not sure how the metal will react and that dish/mount assembly will be in the 300lb range, plus the weight of the stand. Without something to support the weight of the dish and mount, the assembly would come crashing down once the metal begins to bend. Same thing loostening the (house side) nuts and allowing the bolts to bend... they look like 3/4 bolts, not sure of the failure mode when the moment pressure starts to bend them, I suspect they would fail (break).

The other problem is where to lower the assembly... there are too many trees and fences nearby to allow this.

Companies I have called say $500 plus time if over an hour (including transport from lot to work site and back). Would have to let them inspect the site first to see how they would go about reaching the dish assembly. There may be a way to get a truck close to the owner's back yard through a paved parking lot and park. Would have to clear it with the City and parking lot owner as well. One positive thing, it's winter time here and removing the snow cover allows the ground to freeze fairly deep so the boom truck would not likely sink into grass/park area required for access the lot.

there are too many trees and fences nearby to allow this.
That would be a big problem.

I've done similar things with trees with ropes high up, block and tackle attached to another tree or truck, lowering them down easy where I wanted them, but I guess I did not have to worry if the tree got broken.

Last edited:
Maybe wait for March, and warmer temps, then erect a scaffold?
Remove dish from mount, then mount from pole.
Drop pole as previously described. :what ^.^

WIll have to do more pondering... and have one of the truck-crane guys check it out for their opinion on how the job would work out from their experience etc. The people who own the property seem very nice, and I suspect they are looking at retailing the property in the next while... hence making the dish disappear.
No I don't want to buy it and move into the City! :eek.. but it is a very nice lot, house is in good condition, good area of town, close to school (next block) and a church next door (great if you are a Catholic.)

The boom truck price seems quite steep. I have hired trucks many times and in the Sacramento, CA region, the cost for two hour minimum has been $250 - 300. The cost is usually lower if they can roll on your job after early completion of another job. I had a $125 invoice on a 30 minute lift over a house because the boom truck finished a truss lift early and were only 10 miles away. They gave me an hour notice that they had an opening to shoe-in the job.

Minimum wage here is $15/hr, and an experienced crane/boom truck operator gets lots more than that. Plus fuel, driving time, liability insurance...