korean programming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sunelec

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Jackson, Michigan
I am interested in getting the kisb channels on IA5 satellite. Are they FTA like lyngsat says or are they encoded with viaccess? Should I buy an FTA receiver with viaccess embedded and if so which receiver is recommended? I am new at this and I am just looking at buying equipment
as a first step.

Sometimes they are and sometimes they're not. Just keep in mind, that they are supposed to be encrypted. The company that does these channels on IA5 is Globecast. They will not allow a 3rd party embedded access receiver to subscribe to there programming, so it's pointless to get one in this part of the world. But, you can get there equipment, found here:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Satellite-systems/Globecast-Systems.htm
and subscribe to there programming. Or you can get a FTA DVB receiver and take your chances, like most of us seem to do.

Al

KISB comes and goes very often as FTA. It may not be guaranteed to be available free all the time.

Any receiver will work for IA-5. But for real FTA hobby, you will need a receiver with Blindscan.

Thanks for the info . I was already aware of what you say about Globecast. I've talked to them on the phone and I think their receiver is inferior. I have also talked directly to kisb ( IA5) and tantv ( AMC4) . I can get either one with free equipment with a one or two year contract. They both use either an Opentech ods4000v receiver, Humax va3210 receiver or sometimes a Finepass receiver. All would get FTA as well as their own programming. IF I have my own receiver tantv said they would sell me a smart card for their viaccess system for $25 and then bill $27.50 per month. I don't know if kisb would do this, I will have to call them again and ask. I am planning on just having a stationary dish
and I can't decide between kisb or tantv and then whether I should go with my own system ( maybe a Pansat 2000v) or go with their system. I am leaning toward the kisb on IA5 bacause it has more FTA choices. I am doing this for my wife who is Korean although I enjoy also. Does anyone have any experience with kisb or tantv that will help me to decide? How about the receivers that I mentioned?

You're the 1st person I've heard of (in this part of the world) to get a programmer (or provider) to say they will sell you a smart card and/or provide a monthly subscription for there service and not have to use there receiver. Maybe this is the beginning for this side of the world to start catching up with the rest of the world, as far as smart cards and subscriptions are concerned? But, I seriously doubt it, at least as far as basic programming or pay tv (in English) is concerned!

Al

I actually talked to a korean lady( she spoke fluent english) at tantv ( Los Angeles area). I confirm that she actully did tell me that they would sell me the smart card for my own receiver. When I asked her what receivers she told me a list of name brand receivers that they used. I think that since they are korean they are more intune to the rest of the world than what americans are. It appears that asians are moving ahead of us in many ways.As far as Globecast goes they private label their receivers so that you have to buy from them. It appears that tantv and kisb both focus on getting their programming out to their customer base rather than selling equipment. They both were very helpful on the telephone and answered my questions intelligently. Since I am an engineer sometimes I can ask some real blingers,but they responded very well. I was impressed.

My view to g10r is blocked. Also I already get KBS AMERICA in my american dish network programming at no extra charge. WE were subscribing to their korean package but after they dropped SBS we were no longer interested in the other programming they substituted.

In case anybody is interested it is nice to put some kind of a closure on a subject and so here goes. I decided to enter into a two year contract with KISB to subscribe to their complete programming package. They lease to me all equipment ; name brand FTA receiver with smartcard viacess system, 30" dish and etc. The cost including programming and equipment is $225 for first year ( I am going to install) and $300 for the second year. If you need installation they will arrange it for an additional $150 on the first year. It was a hard choice between KISB and TANtv. They both offered similar packages and a similar price but since KISB is on IA5 I can get a whole lot more FTA channels than on AMC4 where TANtv is located. I am going to use a stationary dish because I already subscribe to Dish Network and I just want to suppliment that with what I can receive from IA5 as mentioned previously. I also have an antenna system to get all the local HD from Detroit. I live in Saline, Mi. which is near Ann Arbor and about 40 miles from Detroit. You could add a rotor to the 30" dish ( at your own cost) if you wanted to surf more satellites for FTA . Incidently I have 9 tv's in my house with 6 Dish Network receivers. 4 of these tv's are HD and get a fantastic picture. Two of the Dish receivers have dual tuners so that I can hookup more than one tv. The new Fta viaccess receiver from KISB will just be hooked up to the two tv's that my wife and I watch the most. Our children are not interested. I also have a Korean -American Karaoke system and a Home theatre sound system hooked up to my 50" HD plasma tv. I know this sounds kind of complicated and maybe kind of excessive but it just shows the type of things that can be done in a home these days, thats why I mention it. I enjoy the challange of figuring all this out and do all the hookup myself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts