KU and C Band Differences?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WillyV

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
Mid Atlantic
Can someone explain why there seems to be much greater variety in the types of programs aired on C Vs KU band? I was under the impression that C band was obsolete and that KU was "sort of" like a replacement. On the other hand, it seems like quite a few folks on here imply that C Band has much more to offer. I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Average people will have you believe that C-Band is obsolete, this is because of DISH and Directv coming out with high powered Ku birds. Thus a smaller dish and you can get rid of that big ugly dish. The truth is C-Band stayed around for broadcasters getting the signal to DISH and Directv and Cable companies because it is more reliable, in inclement weather. Because of the frequencies being used C-Band will not loose signal during rain storms, where as Ku will. This among other reasons is why it is used more. Remember us FTA'ers have fun seeing what we can pick up that was not really intended for us. Companies providing Television channels want to keep their signal as clear and strong as possible, as this is their money maker. For this reason they will pick C-Band over Ku when possible, and that is one of the main reasons more channels can be found on C-band.

Not anytime soon. Will be years till the whole country has a good reliable fiber backbone to go full time internet.

More encryption, maybe. But not so much, especially if things stay "under the radar." It's all about costs. The "losses" from FTAers compared to the costs of encryption, for MOST transmissions, is a no brainer.

I'd go FTA, for the savings. But I just want to watch TV and DVR a lot of stuff on regular schedules. I don't need another hobby.

More encryption, maybe. But not so much, especially if things stay "under the radar." It's all about costs. The "losses" from FTAers compared to the costs of encryption, for MOST transmissions, is a no brainer.

I'd go FTA, for the savings. But I just want to watch TV and DVR a lot of stuff on regular schedules. I don't need another hobby.

Isn’t it a fairly safe bet to say that there just aren’t very many C-band dishes in home use anymore? I haven’t seen one in all of my area in years. I think the spate of hurricanes we had the past 10 years has pretty much cleaned them out around here.

I looked at buying a new 10’ SAMI a few years ago and I about died when I saw the price. And add to that the very expensive shipping and I was like NOPE.... NOPE NOPE NOPE......

I would think that C-band is such a tiny minority now we’re not any threat at all to their bottom line.

There’s what, like maybe a few thousand big dishes left still in use at people’s homes across the whole country? Can’t be very many, I would think..

I have to point out one thing in regards to a C-Band signal. Depending on what modulation, FEC etc is being used a C-Band signal can fade during rain. In a past life I worked as an uplink engineer at a large movie network (think 3 letters) and we had times where we lose the MPEG-4 downlink on an 11 meter dish. Didn't happen off but a few times a year with MPEG-4. At the same time standard MPEG-2 would be fine during a rain fade.

Knock on doors. Ask. It's about the only way.

What in your estimation would be the smallest functional C band dish and what approximately do you think the weight of that animal might be? Just thinking ahead...... If I did find one that someone might want to let go for a reasonable price, I'd probably need to man handle it myself. So, I don't think I'd be able to do a 10 footer...

I still kick myself for not asking about a perfect 10 that was in excellent shape, only to go by there one day and seen it was gone. That and a 1.8 with nprm that I already had the ok to get only to have the other half say she doesnt want any more in the yard. She would never leave long enough for it to get home either :(

What in your estimation would be the smallest functional C band dish and what approximately do you think the weight of that animal might be? Just thinking ahead...... If I did find one that someone might want to let go for a reasonable price, I'd probably need to man handle it myself. So, I don't think I'd be able to do a 10 footer...

I have a 6ft Sadoun dish out of necessity and get good results, but bigger is better and if I could I would have a 4.5 meter. 6ft is the bare minimum and there will be a few channels you will not pull in with it like the cbs feeds on 97w. You rarely hear anyone with an 8ft or larger complain about not pulling something in.

According to the Sadoun site my dish weight was 95lbs. Can be installed by one person, but easier with an extra set of hands. I picked mine up at the post office, carried it home and installed it with no assistance.

A guy can do these BUDs by himself if needed. I have a "Dish Lifter" :) Ten footer no problem

Attachments

• CMinstall 024.JPG
    CMinstall 024.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 181
  • dishlifter 007.JPG
    dishlifter 007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 177
"Carried it home from the post office"?! What the heck did you transport it in? Was it new and in a box? Enlighten me 77A.

Yes it was new in the box. Actually I take that back. It was the 90cm I picked up at the post office. Fed Ex delivered the 6ft to the house. The box would probably fit in a suv though. The shipping box dimensions are 44" x 44" x 9" (95 lbs GW)

You should be able to find a 6ft new. I think Sadoun is out but it seems like someone posted another source for one in a post the other day.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts