ku hunting

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

surfdevil83

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Toronto
Well I'm on holidays this week and it's raining!! So the search is on. My idea was to search the ku generics to see if there was anything still there sat by sat. I know we don't talk about generics in open forum but it general before I waste several hours, will I find anything at all? I not looking for a where or a how just hope for a jewel or two. (pms welcome).

Not much on ku-band for the 4dtv, got the mapped channels on the east I think K5-600, a few on Anik birds don't go there if you have a 920 and 922, only a 905 would work well, other than that, there is not much.

tdti!- Why do you recommend not to go to the Anik birds (Ku)?? I`ve been trying to use my BUD to get F1R or A2 so I can set up my StarChoice DSR505. I haven`t been successful and still can`t determine what I`m doing wrong. My BUD is a 10` Winegard with a 4116 Ku lnb controlled by my DSR922.

Is he referring to the problem of downloading maps from the Canadian sats that screw up the 920 and 922? A 905 is OK if its in "business" mode or something like that. I suspect your DSR505 is probably fine as it is intended for these sats?

I guess the lack of ku channels on the 4dtv really shows the lack of interest in the bud dishes and recievers. Honestly you would think that providers would have gone the other way for 905,920,922 users making cband channels less and ku more. Anyone with a dead bud dish would just have to hang a 39" dish and be up and running again on ku.

It looked like Ku was going to get popular with the HITS package and the recently repurposed DSR410s before they moved the content back to C-Band. It is a shame as I think you would get more customers in total.

The Ku service was called Hits 2 Home. CMC wasn't making money with the system anymore so they decided to use the feeds as distribution feeds only to the cable headends. C band is more reliable and the preferred method for broadcast content in the industry.

Keep in mind most of the programming you are pulling in with a 4dtv is really there for cable distribution, and in North America most big name broadcasters use C-band for distribution as they need a very reliable signal.

For a dsr 920 and 922 going to a Shaw Direct satellite using a ku-band icon (A1/A2) is a bad idea, as these receivers will download the Canadian channels maps while keeping the US maps in memory, this overloads the memory requiring a full master reset to restore the memory back to normal. (full memory can cause receiver issues)

The dsr 905 does not suffer from this problem because the 905 does not have all the analog channels in it's memory, making it have the room for the Canadian maps as well without maxing out.

Best if you want to play with A1 and A2 is to get a old Starchoice receiver and hook that up. Like tdti1 said *C will max the TDT count out in a 922 and 920. Now if you just wanted to forget about the U.S. domestic arc you could do a master reset and point it at ANIK and download the Canadian maps. It would probably work with only the *C maps in there without maxing the TDT.

Im suppose to be getting a old *C receiver soon from one of my friends up north :) to play with Anik but my 922 won't be hooked to ku. In fact Im using one of my other dishes for F1R.

Now if you just wanted to forget about the U.S. domestic arc you could do a master reset and point it at ANIK and download the Canadian maps. It would probably work with only the *C maps in there without maxing the TDT.

That might work but then it wouldn't get the FP channels anymore, right? I'm pretty sure that only the commercial receivers retain the fixed key across a reset.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts