L4.41 Software

Yup! Static IP (for the un-tech-savy) may have a higher potential for issue that Dish would have to support.

Cheers,
Spence

Tivo, Xbox, etc. all support Static with a settings menu. I use static on all my equipment for a few reasons. However, I did activate my DHCP and allowed 1 connection well above the range of my static and it was assigned to the 622 so I think I'm good to go.

Unless DISH makes this easy for we the public, that knows nothing about how to do this connection with the ip address, mac address, etc., this feature will be useless to the majority. I have my router hooked to my 622 with an ethernet cable and it gets nothing on the 622 at all. All 0000s. I've reset my 622 but it still doesn't make a difference.

Restart your router first, then restart the 622 and see what happens..

Got 441 as well this morning. I really liked the info screen when I started up the tv this morning. It even tells you how many timers you have available for recording as well as how many recordings are happening that day. I also like the new antenna icon for the OTA tuner recordings. Overall my OTA channels that were a little flakey before seem to be working fine as well. I haven't hooked it up to my router yet but I have the cable and will be running it down this afternoon.

And you can scroll through the menu items on the screensaver by pressing the right and left buttons on the remote.

DishComm already allows the receivers to talk to one another. Let's presume it works like this:

Dish Network <==> internet <==> your router <==> 622 # 1 <==> 622 # 2

Now how will I get my second 622 hooked up to the ethernet cable when I have no computer near by?

Do you have Wireless? Get a Wireless Gaming adapter (we've had discussions elsewhere on the site about them).

This is what I'm going to do. I just need to acquire 2 of them.

My computers/router/AP are upstairs, and the 2 622's are down.

No way to get wire easily to the TV locations.

DishCOMM may be another answer as pointed out in the post above whilst I was typing this one

Last edited:
I have 2 wire and I use it with another computer for my kid in his room. So I assume I have wireless then. So I can get one of these wireless gaming adapters at the BEST BUY for not to much?

I have 2 wire and I use it with another computer for my kid in his room. So I assume I have wireless then. So I can get one of these wireless gaming adapters at the BEST BUY for not to much?

I can't imagine why not. But maybe go get it at wallyworld where you KNOW you can return it with no hassle.

Network Overload...

Wow! I connected my cable modem/wireless router behind the family room TV years ago because it is centrally located and we have nine computers/laptops spread around the house. We went wireless because I didn't want to run a gaggle of Cat5 cable. Anyway, with the recent addition of ethernet for the ViP622 and a Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver, I realize that we now have seven ethernet devices in the family room...and this isn't even the home theater room: PC, Printer, VOIP, Slingbox, Yammy, ViP622, and a PS3.:eek:

Can you imagine the phones ringing at Dish on the 15th:D:D:D

To be honest, I don't think it will be that bad, as the vast majority probably have no idea. Even with the new screen-saver, there is no indication of the change externally.

But there will be a LOT of satelliteguys calling, that is for sure! :D:D

For people inquiring about assigning your ViP receiver a fixed IP address, most home Routers (Linksys/Netgerar/D-Link/Belkin, etc.) have the ability to do this. You need to look at the LAN IP Setup page on your router and enter the MAC address of the ViP receiver along with the IP address you want to assign. When the router gets a DHCP request from that MAC address, it assigns the IP address you told it to use. Simple.

If what I said makes no sense, then you probably don't need a fixed IP address for your ViP receiver(s) anyway...

I just checked and I'm still on the old L405 (from what people are saying, it will be easy to see if the new version is here by the new screensaver).

I didn't think about the MAC address filtering... Great IDEA. Thanks

I have received the upgrade too. I have checked this morning. My question now is:

Is it possible to assign an IP? I only have two IP in DHCP scope(I have done this for this exercise), but I usually use static. So if you know where to go to change the settings please let me know.
Depending on what you're using for DHCP you should be able to setup a reservation which specifies the IP for a particular MAC address (Windows Server DHCP calls this "Unique ID" in the list of Address Leases). Unless the ViP622 interface provides somewhere to specify the address this is probably the best you can do at controlling it.

I just added an "Allow All outbound, Log Always" rule in my router for the specific IP my ViP622 obtained. I want to see what kind of traffic it is generating, and to where. This might come in handy later for various reasons.