Landline Required for VOOM??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My Voom was installed on Monday and the installer said that the line was only to order PPV. Everything that I've read here and on avsforum.com suggests otherwise. Neither one of my boxes is connected but I guess I better plug my line in to be on the safe side.

I just checked the RCA RC930. The only problem is that I think it uses the Radio Wave to send the signal to the receiver. This is the same as the Radio Shack.

What is the range? (If radio then both open-field and in-building) - Andrew Morgan
The device works by transmitting signals through the mains wiring and as such does not use radio waves.

I am looking for something similar to this one:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/?UserID=arm_adsearch&TN=34899

According to the FAQ, it does not use Radio Wave: "The device works by transmitting signals through the mains wiring and as such does not use radio waves."

Sean Mota said:
I just checked the RCA RC930. The only problem is that I think it uses the Radio Wave to send the signal to the receiver. This is the same as the Radio Shack.

What is the range? (If radio then both open-field and in-building) - Andrew Morgan
The device works by transmitting signals through the mains wiring and as such does not use radio waves.

I am looking for something similar to this one:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/?UserID=arm_adsearch&TN=34899

According to the FAQ, it does not use Radio Wave: "The device works by transmitting signals through the mains wiring and as such does not use radio waves."

I believe that the range should cover any average home.

I'd also check e-bay, you may get one for 10-15 bucks.

Edit: Not sure about the radio waves, manual doesn't say anything

Just playing devils advocate here, but....If others had there system installed the way mine was, where the phone line wasn't discussed nor installed nor provided...and since Voom does not allow you to do self installs, its gonna cost them a lot of money to send the installers back out to hook up the phone line to my box in my house. Now I know its just a phone line and theres nothing difficult about plugging one in, but if they are going to provide the installation service and insist that the customer is not allowed to do it by him or herself, it doesn't seem like they will be easily able to mandate this unless they are prepared to spend the money to have installers go back to the sites and plug in the phone lines. Just a what if scenerio.

If they are going to enforce the phone line requirement, I would like to see a Caller ID feature on the Voom STB similar to what Dishnetwork has...it's nice seeing the caller name/id on the TV screen without having to get up!

mtuller said:
its gonna cost them a lot of money to send the installers back out to hook up the phone line to my box in my house.
I'd be surprised if VOOM sends anyone around to connect up phone lines. I think customers will be on the hook to ensure a connection to a land line phone outlet.

My work order from Installs Inc. stated the following:

Installation Overview
You have requested an installation for VOOM 1 ROOM INSTALLATION. Your installation will include (specific procedure varies by installationtype purchased):

Mount 18-inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure of your home, and align to appropriate satellite(s).
Mount any and all digital antenna materials that will facilitate improved VOOM reception.
Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch.
Ground satellite antenna and cable to local/NEC standards.
Connect HD receiver(s) to existing hard-wired phone jack(s) using supplied wire in DBS boxes.
Program supplied remote(s) to your TV set(s).
Activate customer-selected programming.
Provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of the system.

subdude212 said:
Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch.
Ground satellite antenna and cable to local/NEC standards.
Connect HD receiver(s) to existing hard-wired phone jack(s) using supplied wire in DBS boxes.
Program supplied remote(s) to your TV set(s).
Activate customer-selected programming.
Provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of the system.[/color]

Well, I can say that there were no phone cords in the box that my STB came in, nor did the installer mention one would be needed or should be installed. Of course that being said, I agree with you completely, I was more just pointing out the fact that "legally" I couldn't see how they could mandate such a rule with the current installations that have been occurring.

I would also like to point out that my install did not include a grounded satellite dish or digital antenna, had to do that myself, and I was charged an extra 25 bucks for a cable run of over 100', eventhough the actual run was only 80'.

So all in all, I'm not sure what we will have to do, but I do know its gonna be done by us, I just don't agree with making it mandatory.

mtuller said:
Well, I can say that there were no phone cords in the box that my STB came in, nor did the installer mention one would be needed or should be installed. Of course that being said, I agree with you completely, I was more just pointing out the fact that "legally" I couldn't see how they could mandate such a rule with the current installations that have been occurring.

I would also like to point out that my install did not include a grounded satellite dish or digital antenna, had to do that myself, and I was charged an extra 25 bucks for a cable run of over 100', eventhough the actual run was only 80'.

So all in all, I'm not sure what we will have to do, but I do know its gonna be done by us, I just don't agree with making it mandatory.

There are no legal issues. They can choose to implement conditional access in any reasonable fashion. You choose to do business with them, you aren't legally bound to stay with them. Voom is not regulated.

cameron119 said:
There are no legal issues. They can choose to implement conditional access in any reasonable fashion. You choose to do business with them, you aren't legally bound to stay with them. Voom is not regulated.

What I meant by that was, if they are going to make a phone connection mandatory, and they plan on shutting off my service if I don't comply, then they better provide the necessary equipment for me to comply with their requirements, in this case a phone cord.

Now the fact that some people have gotten certain cables and adapters during their installations while others have not leads me to my main point of inadequate installation services. For example, my installer said he had been recently to training for installing the Voom service, yet he was unaware of the software update changing the signal meter reading on the STB. He also didn't have all of the appropriate cabels for connection, all I got from him was a DVI cable, no component, no composite, no audio, no phone. So what exactly is Voom training these installers to do?

Anyway, you are absolutley correct, I choose to do business with Voom, but no where in anything I signed did it say, "In order to maintian your service you must go to the store, buy a phone cord and plug your STB into a phone jack." I'm not saying that there is a lawsuit in this rant somewhere, I'm just saying they won't be shutting off my service because I didn't plug my STB into a phone jack, when one: they didn't provide one, and two: The installer didn't install it. Now if they send me the cord I will gladly connect the box to an outlet, or if they can give me some valid reason, like, if I want to order pay per view, then I might go out and buy one of my own and plug it in.

mtuller said:
all I got from him was a DVI cable
Lucky you! Last year DVI cable was not part of the install... :)

Well time to cancel VOOM. No way am I running a phoneline to where my television is at.

Ilya said:
Lucky you! Last year DVI cable was not part of the install... :)

yeah, at the time all I could think was, out of everything they are supposed to provide he(the installer) gives me the one that everyone else seems to not get. Go figure. Too bad though that the glitchy STB won't work through my DVI connection on my TV, flickers an awful lot.

Im trying to think of a way to get the phone line to my tv also....its going to be a pain....Dont know how im going to do it. But if it is a mandatory rule that VOOM says has to be done then they should sent installers out to do it. i was told nothing of this when the installers came to my house. If it was a mandatory thing ...they should have insisted on it on the first day of installation. What if you dont read the forums? Who is going to notify you? I figure VOOm doesnt need to push any wrong buttons with its subscribers right now. Its just not good business for them. Actually they should be kissing our asses.

Phone line requirement

Well, since most of us do not read Customer Agreements, let me quote one here:

(g) Phone Connections. Your receiver must always be directly connected to a traditional land-based telephone line to receive the VOOM Service. If it is not so connected, or if it is connected to a line other than the one you tell us, or if the line is not performing according to our requirements, the VOOM Service may be deactivated. If deactivation occurs, you will still be responsible for all services purchased through the date of deactivation. Your receiver units must also be connected to the same traditional land-based telephone line in order to be eligible to pay the additional receiver fee rather than purchase a separate subscription for each additional receiver.

Let me clarify this, especially for those new to VOOM: The phone line requirement is nothing new. VOOM had it spelled out in the Customer Agreement posted on the website from day one. Other satellite providers have similar requirements in their agreements too. So far, this has not been enforced. But don't be surprised if VOOM starts enforcing it at some point.

What is the phone line for?

nupe009 said:
My Voom was installed on Monday and the installer said that the line was only to order PPV. Everything that I've read here and on avsforum.com suggests otherwise. Neither one of my boxes is connected but I guess I better plug my line in to be on the safe side.

My installer didn't do anything about the phone line, and I have no intension to try it out unless there is a benifit. Would anyone please educate me what the phone line is designed for?

People even mentioned that VOOM to enforce the phone connection... I am totally lost :)

svx94 said:
Would anyone please educate me what the phone line is designed for?
Primarily for security purposes: to prevent stealing the service. VOOM can send a request via satellite to each STB to call back. STBs that don't report back within certain number of days could then be deactivated. It is also possible that the phone line could be used for ordering PPV programs too.

Hey, I can't believe I posted 500 messages in this Forum! :bday
Of course this is nothing compared to Sean Mota who is closing 5000!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts