latest Openbox S9 firmware might be a keeper!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
S9 Firmware 110815 with American Satellites

I decided to try this today and I'm glad I did! I download the SKYBOX_S9_110815.rar which only comes with European Satellites.

I set it back to 1080 - 60 mode (BTW - - - it comes with 1080 - 50 mode) which was not a supported mode on my Samsumg 46" LCD.

I loaded a good TP_PROG.dbs to put back in the all the American Satellites.

I have uploaded my modified file here because it might save someone alot of time. It was uploaded into the FTA Firmware area and it is in queue - - - once it is approved by the mod's I will post a link to it.

Last edited:
As of now I have been using this same SKYBOX S9 as of late. I have the following problem tho, and am wondering if this is a common problem in general. On my motorized offset dish, I'm not using USALS, and no switch, just the motor controls. Once I find the location of a bird, I then save that motor position. I think there's like 63 choices to save as. But anyway, after going thru all this hassle, only 2 or 3 of those birds actually go to the saved position..the others..as if I never saved their positions in the first place. Then I have to go to the hassle of re-finding these birds, then resaving their positions yet again, only to lose them moments later. I've even tried the recalculations button, which was of no avail. Also I would like to mention, I'm definitely using different numbers for each location, and not accidentally using the same number for more than one bird. So I know that's not the problem. So then, is all of this a common problem to the S9, or do I perhaps need to try a different FW, in order to eliminate this problem?

I really don't know the difference between the 8-15-2011 and the 7-31-2011 - - - but I bet they are pretty close. I might download the one brentb636 upload and compare. I guess they really keep up on the European receivers because so many more folks have these boxes in Europe. (that is just a guess)

The one I uploaded is here. I agree with others that the USALS is better than before - - - and I like the fact that you can set all your Satellites to USALS globally at the same time instead of one by one.

Openbox S9 110815 with American Satellites - Downloads - SatelliteGuys.US

I don't know what the problem that highskies is having with diseqc 1.2 might be, because I've always used USALS. But, every time I've tried to set a diseqc 1.2 position for a single satellite (say, trying to fine-tune something way out at the end of the arc), it totally screws up my USALS positioning for every other satellite. I don't know exactly what firmware versions I've tried this with, but it's been several of them.

As long as your dish is aligned decently to begin with, I recommend using USALS.

I could find no difference between 7-31 and 8-15 versions

I took some screen grabs of 8-15 version today to compare with 7-31

I then loaded the 7-31 version - - - - I could not find any difference in the screens - - - but I only played with 7-31 it for about an hour - - - (I'm guessing the difference has to do with CAM cards).

I also agree with Jim S. in the post above - - - I use USALS and all is good - - - but if I try to some Sats on DisEq 1.2 to motor gets "confused" somehow. I too recommend getting everything as close as possible and using USALS. What I have found (unfortunately) is that I have to use my old receiver to get the true south sat dead on and then change the receiver back out to the Openbox. Kind of a pain but the fine tune on the Openbox is just not there yet (and may never be).

Here are a few PIX of 8-15

Attachments

• SkyBox-QuickSetup.jpg
    SkyBox-QuickSetup.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 152
  • SkyBox-LocalTimeSetting.jpg
    SkyBox-LocalTimeSetting.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 160
  • SkyBox-NetworkSetup.jpg
    SkyBox-NetworkSetup.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 144
  • SkyBox-ChannelList.jpg
    SkyBox-ChannelList.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 165
I'm currently running the 7-31-11 release. I noticed that some channels on C-Band 103W - AMC 1 will lock up after a minute or two for me. Can anyone else confirm this? Is it the firmware or just me? I noticed it on Qubo.

Ok, It looks like it only happens if I leave my USB thumb drive is connected. Not such a big deal, but perhaps a bummer if I want to record. Can anyone else confirm this oddity with a USB drive connected?

I'm currently running the 7-31-11 release. I noticed that some channels on C-Band 103W - AMC 1 will lock up after a minute or two for me. Can anyone else confirm this? Is it the firmware or just me? I noticed it on Qubo.

I have noticed this lately with this same firmware update. Just started last night however and I have been using the firmware a few days. Had not nailed in down to any specific satellite. I have noted that I need to get a high speed usb if I want to use the pvr on hd channels.

Several folks asked about how to convert the European Firmware that only has European Sat's to one with American Satellites and change the video mode. The steps are not difficult and I will try to give as much detail as possible.

I downloaded the latest firmware from the link on page one of this string
Loaded on my Openbox S9 - - - BTW I use component cables and 1080 - 50 mode is not supported
Plug Openbox S9 using normal RCA (yellow, red, white cable) really you only need the yellow one
This allows you to see the screen even in 1080 - 50 mode and allows you to change it to any mode - The page is 'System Setup' - 'TV System'
Next I uploaded a previously saved TP_PROG.dbs which had all the American Satellites
Went into 'Tools' - 'Dump By USB' and saved a new HDS2_DUMP.abs

There are several gotcha's.

1. I maybe should have saved it as 480i mode as almost all TV's should support that mode - - - additionally sometimes the system will default back to 1080 - 50 when you change things related to 'System Setup' - 'TV System' then you have to do the RCA cable trick again.

2. As talked about before - - I only use USALS with my motor as the system still gets confused when using DisEqC 1.2

3. In my opinion fine motor control still does not really exist and they really need to work on this issue. The reason I say that is that if I did not have my old receiver to really get dead on my True South satellite I would have been lost if I only owned the Openbox. (should be read - - -I'm glad this was not my first receiver or I would have been very frustrated)

Benefits:

I think this is a much more stable firmware than past versions. Both 'Single Satellite Scan' and 'Multiple Satellite Scan' now have a 'Scan Mode' called 'Accurate Scan' which will find low Symbol Rates - - - it has found as low as SR's of 1666 for me - - which is a vast improvement over the old firmware I had been running.

In my mind this is the best firmware yet for the Openbox S9

Hope this helps others.

Last edited:
How many folks here using the 8-15-2011 firmware? I have found it to be great as compared with the 2010 firmware. I did not use any in between.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)