Leaving DTV for dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
GB33 said:
Gees, with this dish DVR nonsense, i am glad i am just in limbo for now. If I could get an HR10-250 free, I would stay. i have said from the get go. not interested in the new one for $400. I just want to be able to record HD OTA.

Sorry GB33 you sound like my Brother!
He is afraid that he is going to make a mistake on anything he purchases so he does nothing! First off he does not want anyone to make any money on his purchase. Then is says he knows something better is coming out soon, and so on. What usually happens is he does nothing after a ton of research.

I purchased RCA's first VCR that weighed 48 pounds and cost 1K and the tapes were $21.00 each! In one year of use I felt I had received my money's worth, since I worked nights, then. Early adapter of WebTV, DISH DVR in 1999, UTV, and the original VOOM DBS. Should I have waited since some failed. Hell NO I used them all and enjoyed them all. However if you are not going to watch much HD programing just stay where you are, it's safe there. If I had not subscribered to VOOM DBS early on (installer drove from Detroit for my free install to Northern Indy!) I would never have enjoyed all of their HD programing that was still more than Dish's 30 channels offered today, and never would have built a Home Theater.

Presently my (our) most TV enjoyment is supplied by DISH Networks HD and their VIP 622 DVR but as you know I also have DirecTV HD service, too.

Sometimes it pays to play it safe, but you may miss a lot of enjoyment doing it that way! GOOD LUCK

So what do you do if you and/or your wife's favorite team is out of market?

Funny how it not OK to bring up the NFL ST as a swaying point feature for some, but its OK for people to throw in Food HD or NGEO HD as a swaying point? That really is somewhat hypocritical. But that OK its a just fact that Dish peoples needs are theirs; and DirecTV peoples are theirs. No one perfect right or wrong answer, as has been the point all along. No one is "smoking" the other.

Last edited:
rkr0923 said:
Eagles!
yeah ok
Well let's see...I get 2 FOX OTA stations, 2 CBS OTA, 2 NBC OTA, 2 ABC OTA (different markets, different games) sometimes they have 1 game sometimes 2.
ESPN
ESPN2 (for college football)
NFL Network
TNT (for college football)
FOX NY NBC NY CBS NY ABC NY
FOX LA NBC LA CBS LA ABC LA......not HD but still NFL games (thanks to D*)
Not all ST games are HD are they?
so I think I have a pretty good setup without money for ST
and I don't have to throw ST in peoples face to justify having D*
to bad I can't just buy ESPN ,TNT and the DNS........no need for the other 180 useless channels I pay 70.00 a month for[/QUOTE

Bad answer to the question. I didn't ask how much NFL you get, I asked about the Eagles. That is a whole bunch of wording when you just needed to punch in 1 digit...8
OH HD that matters alot, yes all of the Eagles games are on in HD on the ST have been for the last two years. The real answer is about half at the most, unless you live in the Philly Market, where I wouldn't need ST at all. Here where I am in Ohio, I may get 8, maybe 6 or 7 of them which compared to let's say 10 years ago is a whole lot. Agreed, everyone can get a good fill of NFL football with out ST but, that is not what ST is for for me. I get it so I can see the other 8 or 9 which once again at about 2 Bills, or let's say $25 a game, I am very happy. Wish they had a single team SD. Point is, D* is better off with it than without it, no argument there I hope.

Last edited:
Point is, D* is better off with it than without it, no argument there I hope.

no argument there

Consider yourselves lucky all you ST fans of out of market teams, at least you can get your games in HD.

Try being a Sharks fan in Ohio, FSNBA-HD doesn't even go as far east as Sacramento! Last year Direc wouldn't show FSNBA-HD Sharks games, it was either FSNBA standard def or if there was a HD feed on channel 94-96 it was blacked out here.

I would definitely switch over to Dish. They are a much better company as a whole. Very good customer service, technical issues (very rarely) are solved quickly, Good reception. I think the equipment is much better as well. I used to have DTV when they first became popular in the early 90's, then I switched to DISH just a couple of months ago. I got awesome equipment that WORKS and i didn't have to do anything. My best suggestion as to where to order it from is a retailer, like Radio Shack, or someone on the side that sells it, because often times they give you deals on the side from that company. I got mine from AllAmericanDirect.com. When i ordered from them they seemed to have more of a better deal along with the $10 off. I have not had a problem with that company yet. Usually DTV gave me problems all the time.

I just switched to Dish and must say all the HD rocks. I'm not a fanboy to one side of the other. They are both good services. One thing I have noticed, with my D* hd box I only got 6 digital OTAs. I always thought my antenna was just pointed in a particular spot but when I fired up the 622 it found 17 digital stations (including sub stations) and they are all at over 60%. I was amazed. I get channels that wouldn't even come in on the D* unit. I think the OTA tuner must be better in the dish system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

retention dept "made" me stay...

Need to upgrade Direct TV receiver!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)