Less Green; More Blu: Warner BOGO Update

Disk sales are completely different than say dumping cheap players on the market.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Honestly are you pinning all your hopes on JSP buying the el chepo $89 player from Wal-mart and then expect him to come back and pay $30 per movie?

I'll take the guy who has the disposable income to pay for the mid to high priced players, he is the one that you need to count on at this stage in the adoption of the new format.

First they were $98, and the movies at Walmart some are 14.95 same price or cheaper then some DVDs.

First they were $98, and the movies at Walmart some are 14.95 same price or cheaper then some DVDs.

Let's not get too crazy here. There might be a couple titles you can get that cheap, but not many (most are at least $25, if not $30), and they're not cheaper than the DVD version of the same movie.

I happen to agree... I think you'll have a lot of people willing to spend $98 on a player but not willing to spend $25-$30 on a movie. I know most of us are educated enough to find somewhere where we don't have to spend $30, but most customers are going to walk into Wal-Mart, Best Buy, CC, etc, and that's what they'll see. Unless, of course, they happen to be there on a Blu-Ray BOGO day... :)

Sony and their partner studios are not LOSING money by selling cheap BDs like Toshiba is by selling cheap players. They help to drive interest in their product... get people (especially 2.X million PS3 owners) to appreciate and take up the format. They also clear out old catalogue titles that currently sell for $5 on SD DVD.

Sony and their partner studios are not LOSING money by selling cheap BDs...
I'd agree with "their partners" maybe (since Sony subsidizes authoring/production of titles for their partners with some exceptions)
but Sony making money on BOGOs? I think that is way too early in this game called "format war"...

What do prices of SD DVD have to do with all this? The movie has to be re-authored anyway.

Diogen.

Sony and their partner studios are not LOSING money by selling cheap BDs like Toshiba is by selling cheap players.
I highly doubt Sony is losing money offering these discs for, what, about $15 each with BOGO? They're probably still making money on them hand over fist.

Nor do I think Toshiba is losing money selling A2's for $98. I'll bet they're still making a profit on these too.

What I would like to see, is HDDVD start having lots of BOGO's like BD, and BD start reducing they player costs like HDDVD. You guys that whine about "BOGO's are unfair competition" or "Players are being dumped below cost" just crack me up. You must have forgotten that you are actually consumers yourselves. Lower prices benefit us consumers. Who cares what it does to the corporations?

I highly doubt Sony is losing money offering these discs for, what, about $15 each with BOGO? They're probably still making money on them hand over fist.

Nor do I think Toshiba is losing money selling A2's for $98. I'll bet they're still making a profit on these too.

What I would like to see, is HDDVD start having lots of BOGO's like BD, and BD start reducing they player costs like HDDVD. You guys that whine about "BOGO's are unfair competition" or "Players are being dumped below cost" just crack me up. You must have forgotten that you are actually consumers yourselves. Lower prices benefit us consumers. Who cares what it does to the corporations?

:up

Most of the people are complaining (with one or two exceptions) are just doing so because they don't have BD and can't take advantage of it.

Personally, I would be more sure that they're still making money on $15 discs than on $98 players, but I could be wrong on both counts...

Both camps are doing what they can to movie players and titles into the homes for XMAS. Just because someone does a BOGO does not mean they are doing a going out of business sale. It does mean that they are moving alot of old titles and or players out of inventory so that new ones can take their place.

Daggum it -- I have most of those titles (the ones I really wanted) already! Maybe I will pick up 300 and something else!

They can have all the BOGO offers they want, just don't mislead the public by scanning the free disk as $0.00 sales thus skewing the numbers. Until then its a underhanded practice, makes me think they have something to hide.

How is it that if the title sells for $14.95 instead of 29.95 it isn't a sell? Most retailers that I have used the BOGO at have always rang the price of the disc at 1/2 price. Let's see, I did a BOGO at BestBuy, Frye's Electronics, and Amazon.Com. Maybe Amazon did'nt do the half price -- I am not sure -- but both BB and Frye's did. Oh yeah, did one at Circuit City once and they did the half price too.

So, what do I care if a BD studio decides to sell me their product at half price? It is still a sell and I get to expand my BD library twice as fast for half the money.

Alot of you purchased HD-DVD players for $98 and have been the recepiants of lower cost players to push the format. Toshiba keeps touting how they have more standalones then BD in homes but I do not hear anyone complaing that 'it is not fair'! Do you really care that you purchased your HD-DVD player for less then cost or considerably less then a BD standalone? My guess would be NO!

The way I see it a little competition has been great for us early adopters. Usually in the second year of a new product we (early adopters) are paying out our backside (usually with an arm and a leg) to get in to the latest and greatest. Now we have firesales on standalones (HD-DVD) and BOGOS (primarily BD) to feed our little frenzy.

So all you grinches stop your whining and enjoy your toys. This is XMAS we should be getting a little something for our efforts and low cost players and BOGOS are just what the doctor ordered!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts