Let me rephrase my question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

18wheeler

Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Sorry for my last post sounding like I was trying to break the rule. Let me rephrase my question:

How do I receive Ku-band Free-to-air digicipher II program?

There are planty FTA ku-band DCII listed at lyngsat.com. The perticular one I want to get is PBS Kids. I used to have it on Ku-band DVB, but lost it last Oct. I am a totally newbie to the DCII stuff. So please bear with me here.

From what I have read, you have to use a 4DTV receiver? will other DCII capable receivers work? Reason I ask is that I saw a seller sell *C DSR-401mn as DSR-905. He claimed that they are identical. One artical said *C DSR-921 is identical to DSR920, and US channel map will be downloaded to DSR921 automatically, if aim to appropriate sat. Is it true? how about other DCII capable receivers, like DSR-405, DSR550, DSR-410(HITS receiver?). I would guess not. otherwise everybody would get those receivers instead of pay hundreds of dollar for a 4DTV.

another important question: do I have to own a C-band dish in order to use 4DTV receivers? Do I need to sub to 4DTV package, even I only need ku-band F.T.A. program?

and lastly, a specific question for DSR905. it only for digital signal, right? Do I have to couple it with a C-band analog receiver, or a DVB receiver like my Fortec is fine, if I only need digital DCII FTA channels?

Thanks!

DCII (Digicipher II) is just another scrambling technique (like DVB)

The HITS receiver wont work (been there tried that)

The issue is to get the channel maps to download on a DCII receiver you have to be hooked to a C-band dish. The exception is a StarChoice receiver (but that’s because SC is KU)

I guess the big question is do we know for a fact its still there? You have to remember, the person who runs Lyngsat CANNOT see our US satellites (he’s in Europe somewhere).

You can get the free stuff on a previously activated 4DTV..If I recall, you have to have the box programmed (program hit) for it to work.

Hopefully the 4D’ers will chime in (mainly to see if its still there on DCII on AMC3)

Thanks a lot for the information! 4DTV is a much bigger and deeper pond than Ku-band FTA I guess. I doubt I should get my feet wet right now, not until I can hide a 10' dish in the backyard from the wife.

Still would be thankful if anyone can confirm whether PBS Kids is there. I know lygnsat.com updates from time to time. At least PBS Kids (DVB) disapeared from the list. I guess the list is maintained by updates sent from users?

18wheeler said:
Still would be thankful if anyone can confirm whether PBS Kids is there.

When you find a channel on LyngSat that is a DC 2, Ku digital channel there will be a red 3 digit number in the far right column. That is the channel transponder number. Example: go up the page a few channels and you will see Georgia Public Television, DC 2. Below that it says GPTV, in the far right column it shows 640. That means that Georgia Public Television (GPTV) is on AMC 3, TP 640. It will also have the first letter of the broadcast language such E for English, S for Spanish and so forth. If a channel does not have the red 3 digit number in the right column, you will not be able to view it. No, you will not be able to see PBS Kids.

Last edited:
damn Jim Thanks for the info. Did not know that about the 3 digit number in the right side

so I guess the answer is no then :)

DCII and DVB not a scrambling technique

I think it should be stated that Digicypher-2 and DVB are not scrambling techniques. They are digital encodings for channels. They have nothing to do with scrambling. Scrambling is implemented separate of the encoding. I just thought I should state this as to not confuse those who are newbies. You can't say don't hack and call DVB a scrambling technique and talk about receiving free DVB signals. That can confuse people who don't know the facts. No offense Iceberg, but I thought I would clarify this fact.

Iceberg:
"DCII (Digicipher II) is just another scrambling technique (like DVB)"

lilyarbie said:
I think it should be stated that Digicypher-2 and DVB are not scrambling techniques. They are digital encodings for channels. They have nothing to do with scrambling. Scrambling is implemented separate of the encoding. I just thought I should state this as to not confuse those who are newbies. You can't say don't hack and call DVB a scrambling technique and talk about receiving free DVB signals. That can confuse people who don't know the facts. No offense Iceberg, but I thought I would clarify this fact.

Iceberg:

He's right Tony. I missed that.

lilyarbie said:

Iceberg:

no biggie...I guess I goofed :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.