LG 3D Impressions

Dirtydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 5, 2004
Susanville,Ca.
I bought an LG LW5300 bundle from Amazon ($999), this was for my daughter-in-law. It's a 47" and came with LG Blu-Ray player an 4 pairs of 3D glasses. It's LCD with edge lit LED.
I set it up and the first impression was that it didn't have quite as sharp a picture as my 52" Sharp led backlit set, but a big improvement over the Samsung Captain Kirk50" that it replaced. That being said, I was amazed at the 3D image from D*, also it does Faux 3d on a 2D transmission that according to reviews is the best in the industry, it works pretty good, but not as good as real 3D This LG has a neat picture setting Wizard that actually works pretty good, although the picture out of the box was close to perfect. The 3d is the "passive"' type, so no expensive battery powered glasses needed.
Dan

Thanks Dan,

The 47" LG 3D is on my radar, low power, excellent 2D, faux 3D, and 3D with Blu-Ray player. It is on Walmart's BF ads at $799, so seems a VG deal.

Of course it's not as "sharp" as your Sharp ( there HAS to be a pun in here somewhere ) HDTV. With LG, in 3D, you're only getting HALF definition, not FULL definition 3D, as is found with other 3D sets. You're only viewing 540 lines of resolution instead of 1080.

Of course it's not as "sharp" as your Sharp ( there HAS to be a pun in here somewhere ) HDTV. With LG, in 3D, you're only getting HALF definition, not FULL definition 3D, as is found with other 3D sets. You're only viewing 540 lines of resolution instead of 1080.
Correct, but there's another tradeoff.

With full definition active shutter 3D you have a nice headache after the movie, where with 3D passive polarized glasses, aka half-definition, you miss that nice headache. :popcorn

Ive got both kinds of tech at home. A panny plasma with active shutter, and a passive Vizio set.
Ill say that the loss in Resolution is honestly not as noticable watching 3d content as it is say watching DVD versus blu-ray.
And the passive glasses are much more comfortable, even compared to the latest gen tech that I have with the panny.
I still prefer the panny for overall picture, but I think passive tech will be what wins out in the end.

Does this TV set (or the bundled player) have wi-fi and Internet Apps?
I am trying to decide between this LG and the 240Hz Vizio LED - $598 on BF.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

No WiFi, no internet, according to reviews the LG 240Hz is not worth the extra money. There is a hack available to get into the LG service menu, this allows more choices such as a hidden THX setting and more, these extra settings are already found in the upscale models of LG. This tells me that they all use the same innards.
Dan

No, I am talking about the 240 Hz LED Vizio, not LG. It's only $598 this Friday, so for the price difference I can get a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray, or something like that. That Vizio does include Wi-Fi and streaming and also comes with 4 3d glasses. It's 42" though, not 47", but that's all I would need. Unfortunately LG doesn't make 42" 3D sets. But I wonder if this LG would be a better choice.

Dirtydan, is it ok with you if I move this thread to our 3D sub-forum and merge it with your other thread?

No, I am talking about the 240 Hz LED Vizio, not LG. It's only $598 this Friday, so for the price difference I can get a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray. That Vizio does include Wi-Fi and streaming and also comes with 4 3d glasses. It's 42" though, not 47", but that's all I would need. Unfortunately LG doesn't make 42" 3D sets.

Did you see this LG 42" set?

LG 42LW5300 Televisions - 3D Home Entertainment has arrived! - LG Electronics US

From what I can find the TV and Blu-ray player don't support Internet Apps.

From what I can find the TV and Blu-ray player don't support Internet Apps.
Unfortunately that's the case. :( Will have to use Roku or something...

Just called Wallmart. Some local stores do have both LG bundles in store right now: the 42" ($727) and the 47" ($799)
The price difference is not that big, so I think I will go with the 47" one!
I am on my way to the store!!! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts