LG 3D Impressions

the 42" ($727) and the 47" ($799)
The price difference is not that big, so I think I will go with the 47" one!
I am on my way to the store!!! ;)
Looks like the closest WM to me which carries the 47" LG is a 200 mile RT. :(
Since WM will UPS for free, worth the wait.

Do the in store prices match online, $799?

They might match. If you can get free shipping to home, go for it. Might try Best Buy and Amazon before jumping in.
Dan

They might match. If you can get free shipping to home, go for it. Might try Best Buy and Amazon before jumping in.
Dan
Amazon & BB are $1100 today, BB had the $800 price yesterday, but in store only and again 200 mile RT. :(

WM had a UPS date of 11-30 to 12-3, so I'm hoping for a NewEgg or other on BF to save the $60 Tax. The 3D is the easiest part to give up since there is almost no 3D content. 100 titles is near zero to me. Still, $800 for a 47" LED + Blu-ray is about as good as I've found including the BF deals to date.

If anyone is aware of better, I have a few days. :)

Just stopped at a Walmart they do have the 47" LG bundle, but they refuse to honor the on-line price! It has to be shipped. And there is no same day pick-up option either.
I guess I'll just have to order it on-line...

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Just placed my on-line order with free shipping. Probably won't make it here before Thanksgiving, but that's ok.

So, how is that bundled LG Blu-ray player? Is it any good?

Wow! FedEx shows my TV set "on FedEx vehicle for delivery" and the estimated delivery date is today!!
Do they even deliver on Saturdays? That would be awesome! Not bad for a free delivery and taking into account that Walmart didn't ship it from Georgia until Wednesday.

Can't wait!!

Well, so far, I am very impressed with the 47LW5300! This TV set is much better than I expected, given its price: $799, including the 3D Blu-ray player, glasses, and even shipping.

3D is a lot of fun and looks very good on this set, just don't sit too close. However, for me, it's just a bonus feature: most of my viewing will be in 2D.

I definitely prefer the passive 3D glasses over any active shutter glasses: much less eye strain! And don't worry about the loss of the vertical resolution: you still get 1920 pixels horizontally, so the picture looks pretty sharp in 3D.

The 2D performance of this set is very solid. The default settings were way off. But after some tweaking and spending some time with calibration disks, I was able to get pretty good picture. More tweaking will be required, but I am already happy with what this TV set is capable of. It's amazing how much you can adjust in its user menu: really no need to venture into the service menu.

The bundled player is not bad. Loads fast and plays a lot of various formats, even PAL DVDs (at least those that are not region restricted). Although it doesn't have any Internet apps, the player is DLNA compliant.

My only disappointment so far is with the included glasses: instead of black glasses, as shown on the box and on all the pictures, the enclosed glasses are cheesy white and orange. :)
Other than that, not much to complain about!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

You can buy black glasses at Amazon, 2 pair for $10 an change. The glasses I got with the LG were black, just like the 2 pair from Amazon.
Dan

You can buy black glasses at Amazon, 2 pair for $10 an change. The glasses I got with the LG were black, just like the 2 pair from Amazon.
Dan

You should be able to get them for much cheaper than $5 per pair. Look for the RealD glasses out there as they will work just fine.

No big deal, I got clip-ons anyway.

Well let me tell my LG 3D story.

I had completely stopped following the 3D technology a few months back and was taken completely by surprise. In the past, every time I would demo 3D in a store, 10-20 minutes viewing would guarantee a sick pounding headache the rest of the day. I had previously stated that whoever made the REAL-D technology available for home use would get my money.

Fast forward to black Friday 2011. We perused the newspaper ads on Thursday and found the LG 55LW5300 bundle for $1199 at HH Gregg. This is the 55-inch with 3D-BD player and 4 pairs of glasses. [reading the first few posts here it looks like the retailers raised prices for black Friday but I digress]

I was excited about the price but not really expecting much. We are too "old" to enjoy the rampage of getting up and in line for sales and have adopted an attitude "if God intends us to have it, it will still be in stock when we get there after noon." Got up, had a nice leisurely lunch out, then went to Gregg and they still had them in stock. [the "God" thing also somehow ensured that when we got to each store we found the first or second parking space nearest the door to be vacant, go figure.]

I was very happily surprised to find out that it is indeed the polarized "passive" technology which I know does not give me the pounding headaches. We got it home, I spent a couple hours disconnecting and reconnecting wires [another long story, the entire cabinet had to be unloaded because it's custom made for the old TV] and then we fired up "A Christmas Carol 3D". I must say the experience is as good or superior in every imaginable way to when we saw this movie in the theatre on first-run, and I even wore the same pair of glasses. I have watched several "normal TV" programs in 3D-mode and was quite impressed. I would love to read a technical paper on just how this technology figures out what it's doing to simulate 3D into pre-existing 2D content. One other thing I noticed, the glasses need to be kept close to level or you get ghosting. You can't lie on the couch and watch it sideways with the glasses on. This will be good for my posture. :D

Maybe I spent a couple hundred bucks more than this particular bundle was priced recently, had I done more research, but I'm still at $800-$1500 below what I was expecting something this good to cost. It might not be as sharp a picture as some other current sets, but let's just say we did not realize how terrible the picture was on the old Samsung rear projection set in comparison.

So far, I can say that the ONLY disappointment is the orange and white frames on the included 3D glasses. I guess it's the same concept as rented bowling shoes: so ugly that you wouldn't dare to wear them outside. The REAL-D glasses from the theatre work just as well and I have several pairs of those.

Last edited:
Pepper, we are in the same boat. Active 3D glasses were a deal-breaker for me. My eyes are too sensitive to refresh rates, etc. (I do see rainbows with DLP's, for example). Active 3D glassess would give me headaches. I am now very happy with the LG and its passive 3D technology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)