Life After an Edision OS Mio+

You know you can buy HDMI specific surge/esd protectors?

Amazon product ASIN B07JFN5SJBView: https://www.amazon.com/Protector-NEWPOWER-Portable-Protection-Support/dp/B07JFN5SJB

Or:

Amazon product ASIN B07PLVB51BView: https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Lighting-Protection-BolAAzuL-Portable/dp/B07PLVB51B

Or:

Lightning got mine, along with another receiver and the hdmi on a tv. So not any design fault of the Mio.

Mine was bad after a storm, so I assume lightning. I plan on taking it apart and investigating possible repair options when I get time. I don't really want to spend $200 for another one since I'm on ku band, and have already spent a lot on all of this equipment as it is. RCA jacks would be a nice addition.
Thanks, good to know its not a problem unique to the OS Mio.

I would think that the satellite tuner chip would be a frequent victim of lightning, since it is directly connected to the outdoor dish coax. But I have been doing some reading and most of the articles say that HDMI circuitry is extremely sensitive to static electricity, or the EMP produced by lightning.

Reactions: Ectron1
Thanks, good to know its not a problem unique to the OS Mio.

I would think that the satellite tuner chip would be a frequent victim of lightning, since it is directly connected to the outdoor dish coax. But I have been doing some reading and most of the articles say that HDMI circuitry is extremely sensitive to static electricity, or the EMP produced by lightning.
I guess i'm lucky since i haven's lost any electronics to lightning in 30 years

Reactions: N6BY
I guess i'm lucky since i haven's lost any electronics to lightning in 30 years
My first HD tv set that only had a single HDMI port, like 15 years ago. I walked across a carpeted room, reached up to pull the chain switch to our ceiling fan, and got a static shock. That fried the HDMI port on my tv set at the same time! I heard the snap, and the tv port blew right then.

• Sad
Reactions: N6BY
I once had a mobile ham radio that killed a TV completely when I transmitted while in the garage - TV was on the other side of the wall. That happened not just once but twice. Got rid of that TV - it was made in Mexico......

There's a dude out there in another site griping that his VU+ grabs transponders much better with higher snr than his mio. And can differentiate and lock transponders down to 2 MHz spacing no problem with any image.

As far as a dead HDMI. Dead dead? Or bent pins in the connector? Too bad the webif doesn't give full control of the receiver settings. Or even streaming to VLC. No menus there. I mean even if you parked a laptop with hdmi out at the tv and bt kb/mouse on the coffee table. No dice. Even the free streamer apps for 'droid and fire devices want you to pay to get full functionality. Better than buying a new box I guess.

If Linux had a BDA driver fork for Windows. Problems solved to a great extent.
I like the idea of swappable tuners. Soldered in ones give me about as much of the heebie-jeebies as Apple with their soldered in storage and drives. Or the fact that you cannot upgrade the ssd in a Mac Studio even if you think you can. 4-5 grand for a box that can go south with total data loss. Why? Because the storage is paired with that damned thing. What brain trust decided to do that?
Opps. Off on a tangent again hating the most corrupt-legal company out there again.
I call 'em "Goodfellas". Eff you, pay me.