Lightning go BOOM!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

armadillo_115

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Virginia
We had thunderboomers that never quite reached the house, only some rain.It seemed liked it had all passed around us when 20 minutes later... BOOM! No Sat/entertainment system, phones,or internet.Found the breaker was tripped but that didn't help.Then I remembered that there are ground fault breakers on that electric circuit.I reset the one at the entertainment system and everything seems to be undamaged.Reset the one at the router and phones and everything there seems to be ok as well.WHEW!

Evidently the lightning entered on the phone/dsl line.Thankfully... the breaker,ground faults, and small surge protectors were enough to save the day. With this kind of luck..I should go out and buy lottery tickets tonight! :biggrin

I was sick there for a few minutes until everything came back up.

PS: Last chance if anyone wants the Free 7.5 KTI mesh (less actuator) ... I'm about to put it on Craigslist to get it out of the yard.

Good one there! The last one that caught me unready only killed one ku=lnbf, but it was a geosat pll, had it only a year and mother nature zapped it. To remind me to unplug for the next one.

Sounds like you faired better than I did during the last bad storms that came through here. :rolleyes: Glad to hear you and all your equipment are safe! :)

Glad you (and your electronics) survived! Those rogue lightning bolts are usually very powerful and can cause bad damage since they have to travel farther to hit ground.
Might want to check any surge protection devices for faults or blown MOVs etc. Also check any ground connections.

Found one bad panel ground connection here this spring, previous lightning strike blew the connection to the ground rod apart. Wondered why I was having trouble with voltages last winter; had the power company re-do their neutral connections on the transformer pole which fixed the problem, then found the blown connection after that.

Yeah, nasty stuff lightning. It hit my old stomping grounds, the Hokendauqua American Legion. People were inside at the time and said it blew the TV boxes right off the wall. Severe roof damage but fortunately no one was hurt.

21320002_sm-678x381.jpg

Yeah, nasty stuff lightning. It hit my old stomping grounds, the Hokendauqua American Legion. People were inside at the time and said it blew the TV boxes right off the wall. Severe roof damage but fortunately no one was hurt.
That's a shame! Good that everyone was safe. Hopefully insurance will cover the damages so they can get back to normal.

Glad you were safe and nobody was hurt. Equipment and damaged structures can be replaced, lives cannot. Lightning strikes mean business because they strike randomly and can cause problems even when the strike is a mile or two away. People claim they have all their electronics are on surge protectors/UPS's, struck directly and things will get fried. Advanced warning is nice to unplug everything from power and RF lines coming but it never fails, never home to act early I hope you are taken care of and can get back in business of the world of FTA. A bolt hit a tree in my backyard years ago, the lights stayed on and there was no damage to my garage or home thankfully. Cable & DSL modems, a PC and dial up modem for the DriecTivo (the original one) were fried like an egg. The tree to this day from over approx. 10 years ago, still shows the scar from the bolt. Lightning does weird things from being a great light show, being nuisance or deadly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts